Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Domestic Violence
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Domestic Violence News and information relating to domestic violence in general. Please post here if you don't see a sub-forums that fits better.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:02 AM
SURVIVOR!!!
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 703 Posts
Default Going off Meds!

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone took theirselves off antidepressants? I have went off mine cold turkey, and ive had some withdraw but nothing I couldnt handle.

The other day I was laying in bed and my middle son said to my oldest, "wish we could go to the park" and my oldest said "we cant cause mommy is sad" Anger flooded through me, how dare I let this man get me down to this point!! I knew I had to do something. THe holidys were hard but they are over and my boys needs a mom!!

I have meds for anxiety, depression, sleep, everything. Now I see how people get addicted they are so easy to get. Ive flushed everything in the house!

For the first time, I had the BEST weekend, I spent the weekend with my boys, we did puzzles and watched movies, ate popcorn everything was about them. I took no meds. I have cleaned my house from top to bottom this morning, and just focusing on me and my kids. The trial has been pushed back for another month so im not even going to think about it.

For some reason I just dont want to go to a therapist, it scares me to talk to a stranger. But I read online about journaling, and ive been keeping journals of that night, and feelings, and day to day stuff. I dont keep them I burn them when they are full, and its an awesome feeling to let it go like that. I am finally feeling like me again, I am sending my resume out like crazy...... I need to go back to work.
Thanks to all you ladies that have helped me so much!!
God Bless You All,
Lisa
alwayshim (01-25-2011), Brandy (01-25-2011), number8 (01-31-2011), sidewalker (02-02-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,623 Times in 11,025 Posts

Darlin', whatever gets you through!

I think that a few months ago you needed those meds. You were truly in crisis, and they have now done their job - to get you back to some sort of functional level - and if you know you're functioning now, well, brava!

You may need them again at some future point, so don't close that door completely yet. Meanwhile, love what you have - stability, loving kids, and yourself!
alwayshim (01-24-2011), Brandy (01-25-2011), only1love (01-25-2011), sidewalker (02-02-2011), Sunflower (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Not Afriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSutton View Post
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone took theirselves off antidepressants? I have went off mine cold turkey, and ive had some withdraw but nothing I couldnt handle.

The other day I was laying in bed and my middle son said to my oldest, "wish we could go to the park" and my oldest said "we cant cause mommy is sad" Anger flooded through me, how dare I let this man get me down to this point!! I knew I had to do something. THe holidys were hard but they are over and my boys needs a mom!!

I have meds for anxiety, depression, sleep, everything. Now I see how people get addicted they are so easy to get. Ive flushed everything in the house!

For the first time, I had the BEST weekend, I spent the weekend with my boys, we did puzzles and watched movies, ate popcorn everything was about them. I took no meds. I have cleaned my house from top to bottom this morning, and just focusing on me and my kids. The trial has been pushed back for another month so im not even going to think about it.

For some reason I just dont want to go to a therapist, it scares me to talk to a stranger. But I read online about journaling, and ive been keeping journals of that night, and feelings, and day to day stuff. I dont keep them I burn them when they are full, and its an awesome feeling to let it go like that. I am finally feeling like me again, I am sending my resume out like crazy...... I need to go back to work.
Thanks to all you ladies that have helped me so much!!
God Bless You All,
Lisa
Oh my gosh Lisa, cold turkey?!!!!! I completely understand your concern about becoming addicted, especially when we are still so vulnerable, but I'm pretty sure you are suppose to gradually wean yourself off of antidepressants. Stopping suddenly can be dangerous ( I'm sure Nurse "Only" is gonna chirp in soon.) Glad you feel better, but please be careful when fooling around with prescription drugs. You might feel fine now, but be on the lookout for any weird symptoms or sudden "crashes". Depression and anxiety can be sneaky little demons that can catch you off guard when you think you finally have got all the problems licked.

I know what you mean about therapists. I haven't really bonded with mine, however I still keep going just in case some miracle happens and I suddenly can relate or something. I love my DV support group though. I wish they met more often and at more convenient times, but I'm happy to be able to go out at all anymore.

Sounds like your weekend was super fun, I'm jealous!! LOL
quiet_one (01-27-2011), Sunflower (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Its us against the world

Thanked 4,177 Times in 2,324 Posts

I am glad to hear you had a great weekend! Some people can go without medication. I have never been one to take it. They wanted to make me when I was prego but I refused for the fetus sake. I am one of those people who feel like why should happiness come from a bottle- ALTHOUGH, I do understand some people need it. If you are having a moment try journaling, or turning to something that makes you happy and doing that- like hanging with the kids Good luck girl, you can do it

*I know it's not easy, bein away from tha 1 u luv, some days seem almost unbearable, but b4 u close ur eyes at night, smile cuz ur 1 day closer 2 tha day ur incarcerated 1 will be home*

His Queen..forever & always..beyond Life
The Following User Says Thank You to canthelpbutwait For This Useful Post:
Sunflower (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Banned

Lisa I think what ever works for you is great you've been through the ringer. If you can handle it thats great I know for me I can't sleep. I'm talking three years later amd I stillwith meds only sleep for short periods. But hun if I could I'd get off all the meds I don't like not feeling, but to me right now not feeling is better then feeling, You have to do whats best for you. That said I hope you doing good.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Time to work on me.

I went off mine way back when and i'm okay. sometimes i'll get in moods and low, but now that i have a job and a routine going it helps me. also not having contact with p and other toxic ppl who i thought were my friends helps.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM
SURVIVOR!!!
Donation Award 

Thanks everyone!! I still have refills if needed but im ok. I have SO much more energy!! Also I journal for awhile till I go to sleep and ive been sleeping good, and am not as groggy in the mornings!!
One day at a time!!!
God Bless,
Lisa
sidewalker (02-02-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,377 Posts

The nurse in me always goes into a spin whenever someone does this! You accomplished it without side effects and for that I am sooo happy for you! It seems like you are getting stronger and stronger and that is so fulfilling. I like what you said about the journaling. Wish I could lite a fire! lol
Old 01-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,240 Times in 684 Posts

please just be on the lookout for possible side effects, i went off a very small dose of medication and then 6 weeks later i ended up with severe panic attacks and the medication no longer worked when i started retaking. i ended up having to take double amts of two things, just because i didnt want to take medication at all. at the same time i do understand as i had another doctor that had me on a combination of pills i couldnt get off my couch for like 2 months!!! so i do understand why you would want to stop all pills. i also want to stop but know for example that without my asthma medication i really cant breathe, so i take it even though i dont want to.

if you really dont need it its great because medicine does have alot of side effects. i personally am trying to look into more natural treatments. good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to hisbabyny For This Useful Post:
Sunflower (01-30-2011)
Old 01-30-2011, 07:54 PM
SURVIVOR!!!
Donation Award 

Default Update!!!

Thanks for all the great advice again! But going off meds was the best thing ive done. I wasnt on them for a long time. My Birthday was Friday and it was so nice to relax and celebrate!! I still have some tense moments but nothing I cant handle. I kinda pushed what happened back then let it bombard me and now im just taking it day by day!!! And im so happy!!!
Still looking a job but have a feeling something is gonna come up soon!!!
Thanks again everyone,
Lisa
only1love (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,474 Times in 7,511 Posts

For anybody thinking of coming off meds, talk with your prescriber. If he's not supportive, find somebody else. If you can't get help going off meds, try this:
http://willhall.net/harmreductiongui...offpsychdrugs/ It's even available in Spanish.

I'm so glad you are taking control of your life. I'm glad to hear you're feeling good about it, and feeling at all. It sounds like you're ready to deal with everything; the good and the bad.

Journaling is a great idea. Burning it to let go is a wonderful idea, and very cleansing. Keep at it, and keep on. Just remember, there are people out there who can help when and if you ever want it. You don't have to do all that work entirely alone. There are a lot of resources out there, including peer run groups through a DV outreach program. Peer run groups may be a good option; peers are people who've been through it themselves, and aren't just academics reading statistics. Getting help and in turn giving help to others can be a very effective method of healing as well.

But, I'm not one to complain. It sounds like you're doing well. It sounds like you've taken back control. Good for you! Keep at it.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 AM
SURVIVOR!!!
Donation Award 

Default Update!!

Good Morning!! I wanted to share something my son said this morning, my 8 year old. THings have been much better here, ive been getting up and making the kids breakfast( I use to let them eat at school) and spending more family time with them.Leaving little notes in the snack box like I use to. We even put a 750 peice puzzle together took a week but we got it done! This weekend was my birthday and my son had his dad take him to the store to get me a Dozen roses, it was a very sweet moment!!
This morning we were on the way to school and he asked me "mom r u not sad anymore" I said no baby mommy feels much better. Then he said "was your heart broken?" Took everything I had not to break down and cry, I just said I guess so baby. And he said well Im glad the Flowers made your heart better!!!
Of course I cried all the way home! Its amazing how smart kids are, I praise God for helping me in so many ways. And im proud of myself for so much now. Im still journaling allot. Ive found a webite called Pandoras Aquarium and its for Sexual Surviors, its a great site. Of course not as great as PTO!!!!
Just wanted to share my very sweet moment!!!
God Bless,
Lisa
sidewalker (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,623 Times in 11,025 Posts

It's like waking up after a nightmare, eh?

I'm so glad for you, Lisa.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,695 Times in 14,450 Posts

omg Lisa, that last post is making me cry.
Oh holy cow, how did you manage to not cry with that sweet comment from such a lovey!!!!!!!
Im so happy your doing better!!!!! way to go.

I am so proud of you!
(but please do consider talking with someone if you get back into that dark sad place)
but for now!!!!! stay in the light and sunshine.
dang I miss when my kids were young like that.
what a sweet thing. thank so much for sharing it. wonderful

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Sunflower (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
loving his letters

I tend to agree with others whatever works for y ou is best. I hope all goes good for you.
AQUILA
JAQUILLA
The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialJacelyn For This Useful Post:
Sunflower (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Thanked 1,964 Times in 591 Posts

Just for the record going off some anti-depressants cold turkey can be fatal. You are very lucky that you didn't suffer some serious consequences. If anyone else is thinking of doing this, please speak with your doctor FIRST. I have been a psych nurse for almost 15 years so trust that I know what I'm talking about. To the OP I am very happy that you are doing so well but did you ever stop to think that you're doing well because of the meds.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 AM
SURVIVOR!!!
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curegirl View Post
Just for the record going off some anti-depressants cold turkey can be fatal. You are very lucky that you didn't suffer some serious consequences. If anyone else is thinking of doing this, please speak with your doctor FIRST. I have been a psych nurse for almost 15 years so trust that I know what I'm talking about. To the OP I am very happy that you are doing so well but did you ever stop to think that you're doing well because of the meds.
I wasnt on the meds for a long period of time, allot of them were PRN. And I didnt feel like me when I was on them, I slept most of the time and was in a fog. I dont have insurance so going to the Dr is exspensive and I did my research. Now that im off them I feel like the old me again. I think I did need them at one point but now I dont. I also have a medical background ( not in psych) but was carefull!!

I do agree if anyone is going to go off meds it is best to talk to the Dr first!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 AM

Hi Sunflower - I am so glad you are doing well!

I too took myself off my meds about three years ago while in prison - I felt "doped" all the time, no energy and just down! Once I "weened" myself off with the help of the doctor inside - I felt soooooo much better!

I would advise you to make sure this is good for you and talk to your doctor and let him/her know that you have taken yourself off your meds....

Take Care and I am very happy for!
Sunflower (02-03-2011)
Old 10-28-2018, 01:52 PM

So it seems like most of the posts on here are fairly old, but as a person that deals with mental illness on a daily basis I wanted to throw in my 10 cents.

If you are on any type of psych meds and you do not want to take them any longer, please, please do not stop cold turkey. Depending on the medication, it can be extremely dangerous. Seizures, hospitalization, toxicity. I have dealt with Lithium toxicity before a couple of times, It's not fun.

I will make a recommendation to everyone to look at the website Drugs.com better yet, put the app on your phone (much fewer advertisements)

Some people benefit from seeing a therapist, some do not. The consensus is that a combination of therapy and medication is generally the best treatment. Medications change ALL THE TIME - some of it is because a medication seems to no longer do what it is supposed to. Psychiatrists generally know what they are doing.

I guess, in summation, don't stop without help. Medications (especially anti-depressants) can take 4-6 weeks before you will notice a diference. Taking meds can suck, but being stable is awesome. Just for reference, I am not a doctor or a nurse. I am a trained Peer Support Specialist - Trained by NAMI. I was mis-diagnosed from my early to mid 20s. I was given a bipolar and Anxiety diagnosis around 30 and am now in my 40's. I have lived experience and that's about the best you can get
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustLilOlMe1012 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-28-2018), MPsQueen (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:06 AM

Thanked 1,248 Times in 632 Posts

When going off anti-depressants it usually takes about 6 weeks to get them out of your system, same as it takes for them to take effect. So just be watchful of things that might occur and any of the symptoms you may have had before going off of them. Your safety and your children's safety is of utmost importance. Perhaps you are not longer in a personal situation where you need them anymore and that is fantastic, but just make sure you gauge that and if you start to feel that you come to the point where you do need them again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking help and reaching out to a Dr to go back on or taking something else.

Good luck!