Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row - What you need to know!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row - What you need to know! General and State Specific questions/answers about Death Row - mail & more - whatever you need to know can probably be found here!

Old 10-08-2018, 06:33 PM

Question How do I find (online) a federal ruling on DR appeal

I apologize up front if this is posted in the wrong forum area and also if this question has been asked previously:

My friend had his death row federal appeal ruling on Sept 19. But I can't find any site online that directs me to the decision. I haven't heard from him since Sept 17 and even though mail is supposedly slow from there, Polunsky Unit in Texas, I'm wondering if he's really depressed over the ruling & that's why he hasn't written. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know this is his absolute final appeal, the next one would be to the SCOTUS.

Which just brought me to another horrible thought: if this appeal was denied and the SCOTUS doesn't hear his case/issue a stay, how long afterwards will they set a date? He's been on the row for 19 years now.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2018, 08:04 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,474 Times in 7,511 Posts

PACER for a federal appeal or the actual court where he filed that appeal. Looks like P.A. courts are here: http://www.pacourts.us/courts/supreme-court/
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
boots72 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 06:34 AM

Thanked 11,061 Times in 5,992 Posts

With the reference to Polunsky, that tells me this is a Texas case. As a result, once it left the CCA to enter the feds, you are likely looking for a hand-down from the 5th Circuit.

As noted, all federal filings will be indexed on PACER. Some are viewable (with an account) while some are restricted from public view.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
maytayah (10-09-2018), yourself (10-09-2018)