Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc

Old 05-26-2007, 03:58 AM

Smile Wichita Kansas Work Release

My Husband is going there soon and I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about it there. Like rules and is there weekend passes to go home or if anyone liked or hated it . Anything at all would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Congratulations on your husband making it to Wichita work release. From what I have heard, I'm sure he will like it there.

I don't have anyone there, so can't really tell you anything. I do have a friend whose son is there. Hopefully she will see your post & reply.

Wishing you the best.
JnKS
Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Hi there, my son is in the Wichita Work Release Facility. It is an alright facility, the rules are basically the same as any prison. You can send him clothes for the first 60 days. They have to be mailed and make sure you take the price tags off if they are new. I am really not positive how many of each but I think it is a total of 30 outer wear items. Then you can send like 4 pair of shoes and underware is like 7 pair. He can have jogging suits and also shorts. he will be able to leave with you on Sunday to go to Church. YOu have to have your car approved and also you have to have a valid dl and insurance. That is it. They go to Walmart shopping and if he is work release and not permanent parting he will get a job and give 25% of his pay for his housing. He will have to pay to do his laundry and stuff. Visitation is on Wednesday Night from 7 to 9 and on Sat and Sunday 12:30 to 3:30 the same on Holidays. You cannot take food in the facility. You have to purchase anything you want in the vending machines. It is sometimes laid back depending on who is working. Pretty decent facility. We have not had any bad experience with it anyway. Well I hope that it answers your questions for you. Good luck to you both. Mom
Old 05-31-2007, 05:17 PM

well when they take trips to wal mart, you can swoop him up and go to the lake or something n have a romantic getaway for about 30 minutes...just be careful..i did it and it was great!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 PM

I don't know how bad you want your guy to get finished with all of his sentence but I think taking the risk of doing anything like that would be silly. It is very hard on all people that are in the system without abusing the system. We all have to do our time with our loved ones. Walmart is just another place, last week when they were there they took a head count after they had been there for about 20 minutes. So you be the judge of what kind of risk you are willing to take. Me I would just as soon my son stay close to home there fore abiding by the rules. Good luck to you.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:50 PM

I don't think I would recommend the romantic getaway, no matter how tempting. If caught, I'm sure it would be considered an escape, and all parties involved would be dealt with accordingly.

The trip to Walmart is a privilage. All it takes is one person abusing that privilage for everyone to lose it forever.

This is a public forum, and is read by not only those of us with loved ones in prison, but also by the people who work in and run the prisons. The people who work in & run the prisons have access to all kinds of information on our loved ones, and probably have a bit of information on all of us. (It's a government thing.) I'm sure, from the posts we have made, they could figure out who each and every one of us are, and who our loved ones are. I think we should all keep that in mind when posting on this forum.

Wishing you the best.

JnKS
Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 AM
terri

Yea - finally people posting on the KS site!
It would be very tempting to borrow my guy from Walmart! Maybe you could just meet him in the garden dept. or something next time. Thinking about it as a possible escape is pretty scary... You could end up charged with a felony. Yikes!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Yea well maybe the person leaving with there guy at Walmart got caught. I would hate for my son to get rolled for my stupidty or one of his friends. We go to church and come back, about 2 weeks ago they rolled a guy back for not being in the church he was supposed to be at. Man I shudder to think about making those drives back to Norton. Wow. Let me think 4 hours 30 minutes verses 6 minutes. No there is nothing worth that crap. I wish more people would post on this site I have meant some great people on here. Some other moms that are in the same position that I am in. Anyway chat soon. Mom
Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 PM

I agree with you M, the risks are too great! If my son ever makes it to work release, I plan to try to drive to Wichita every Sunday to take him to church. We will go straight to church & straight back. I wouldn't want to chance his losing work release, or getting moved back to Norton, (5 hour minimum drive versus 70 minute drive, with a 3 year old in tow) losing the levels he has worked so hard to achive, losing his earliest possible release date.

I don't know about some people in there, but my son has a life to get on with. He has a 3 year old son who misses his Daddy terribly, and he needs him to get back home just as soon as possible. I wouldn't want their reunion jeopardized for any reason.

On the lighter side, I suppose a person could go to Walmart, tell them they want to buy a tent, but insist on setting it up first, just to see how difficult it is to set up & take down, and also to check out how roomy it is. They could then swoop up their man and go hide out in the tent for awhile hehehe

Yeah, it is good to see people posting here. Wish more would a little more. I too have met great people here! It is nice to be able to talk about our situations. Not everyone in my day to day life understands what I am going through.

Take Care All,
Jnks
Old 06-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Thank you for all the info everyone. I definately would not do anything to mess up his wo4rk release. Not now after all this time . We have suffered long enough as it is . The first thing I thought is the people who work there read these and the getaway was not something that should have been posted . I know they didnt mean any harm but it could turn out that way.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM

Hooliegirlie,
I wish you and your husband the best at WWR. I'm sure it is much better than where he has been.

I know no one meant any harm posting the getaway, but you are right, it shouldn't have been posted. It just makes it harder for those who are trying to do right.

Take Care,
JnKS
Old 06-06-2007, 03:00 PM

Alright, so I see no problem with what I have posted, yeah people have done it all the time, and no we did not get caught, he got into trouble for something else, and got rolled. So all i have to say is "do you" I was just saying what I had done, I really don't see it as a major problem. I didn't put any kind of details or anything..well whatever I'm not have a great day.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 PM

I know that you may not think that it is a problem, well just this week they are not letting them have but 40 minutes in walmart and also they are watching the videos at walmart to make sure they see the guys. There are so many people on here that will tell you that there are plenty of the people that work at the facility reading the posts on here. I know that you love to spend time with your man just as I like to see my son. But they have committed a felony that is why they are there. Hard as it is to except we have to look at the big picture and try to get them out of there as soon as possible. Breaking the rules just prolongs the agony. I wish you the best and your man the best. Take care of yourselves. Mom
Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Mlamars,
Sorry to hear they are cracking down on the guys when they go to Walmart. It was a nice break for them. Wonder if they got wind that people were abusing the privilage? Wonder how that could have happened?

Hopefully, my son will be at work release in a few months. I was actually thinking about maybe going shopping at Walmart with my grandson, his son. My son & his son used to love to go to Walmart together. He would always buy his son a little toy. It would be a very special time.....if I could take my grandson to Walmart to have his Daddy buy him a toy, if the two of them could just walk down the isle, looking at toys, looking at clothes, talking, like they did in the old days.....before Daddy went away.

I just hope they are still allowed to go to Walmart when my son gets there. It is funny how we used to take a trip to Walmart for granted, now, it is something we only wish we could do together.

Take Care,
JnKS
Old 06-13-2007, 04:01 PM
terri

Jnks, you're right about taking things like a trip to Walmart for granted! My friend isn't in work release, it would be great if he could get something like that. So I tell him every little detail of my life - what I did in the yard, where I had lunch, so boring to me but he hangs on every detail. This has been an eye opening experience for me.

I hope to see more KS people here. Even though I've been busy and haven't been online much lately, it's great to have somebody to chat with. I can't really talk about this with my friends or most of my family, they just don't understand why I would spend my time on my friend. I've tried to tell them how much he gives me, even without a physical presence, but it just isn't getting through. Oh well, it must be something you have to live through to fully understand, like pregnancy. LOL
Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 PM

Tc,
Yes, there are so many little things we do in our daily lives that we take for granted that our incarcerated loved ones only dream about having the freedom to do. Sometimes, I have to be a little careful what I tell my son. Once, I told him that his son & I had walked to a nearby restaurant for dinner. He groaned and said "Mom, don't tell me you ate there, I really miss that place." So, I try to leave those minor details out of our conversations.

It is nice to be able to come here to discuss what we are going through with others who are going through the same thing. I don't really have many people to talk with about my situation. People just don't understand. They are quick to condemn and spread negativity. We don't need that attitude. We need positive reinforcement and encouragement. When you care about someone, the caring doesn't stop just because they go away. People should understand that! A friend is a friend whether they are one mile or a thousand miles away! Part of being a good friend is being there through the bad times as well as the good times.

Yeah, it would be great if more people would start posting here. I am busy too, but usually check the board for new messages every day or so. I have to do something to wind down at night, I'm not much of a tv watcher

Take Care TC. Give me a hollar anytime.

JnKS
Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 PM

Pssst MLamars,
What's going on with the trips to Walmart?
Jnks
Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 PM

Hi tc317,
I can relate to you about not having anyone to understand what you are feeling. Even though it is my son and not some other man in my life there is just no one other than the people I have meant on here that understand what my heart is saying and feeling. Sometimes you just have to let go of all of the emotion and cry. I do that alot when I am alone and just driving or at home by myself. You have to put up such a huge front so that they think you are just okay. I know cause today is my sons birthday and I do not get to see him. I know that I am gonna cry but I have tried to stay busy all day so that the crying never started. Well I just wanted to say good luck to you and keep the faith. Here is my saying for you ( God Grant me the Serenity to Change the things I cannot Change, Courage to Change the things I can And WIsdom to Know the difference. ) Good Luck to you. Mom
Old 07-02-2007, 11:58 AM
terri

Hi Mom,

I hope you had a great visit with your son this weekend - even if it was a belated birthday visit! Seems like those special days and holidays are the worst. Staying busy helps me too, but it's ok to cry when we need it. As women we always feel the need to be strong - maybe it's the pioneer spirit - but we can't do that all the time or we'd go crazy. It sounds like he's trying very hard to get his life back together and I know he'll be fine. Have a great week.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Hi, thanks for the kind words during my sons birthday. It was alright we had a good night the day before. We went to see him and the whole family and most of our friends were there. It was very nice of you to think of me and my son. I hope all is well with you. You take care of you and yours. Mom
Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 PM

WOOOHOOOO WE MADE IT! hehehehe We are now in Wichita Work Release Facility! Yes, there is a God! Thank you Lord! hehehe No more 300 mile one way trips to the middle of nowhere godforsaken northwest Kansas. hehehe

See ya in visitation MLamars.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:17 PM

Wow there are truely ANGELS !!!!!! So happy to see you in Wichita. It is not the greatest facility but hey it is close to home and I love getting to see my boy all of the time. YEAH.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Account Closed

I wish my hubby was in work release... I don't care which work release facility although Wichita would be the closest. The state of Kansas sucks, and I'm ready to leave it as soon as I can. The comment that someone made about they committed a felony... that's not true in most of the cases. There's a thing called "injustice" in the United States, and it generally likes poor people. Say what you will about your husband or son, but don't lump my husband in there with him. My husband didn't commit a felony; he got charged with someone elses. My husband's not a snitch, so he got sentenced for something someone else had done. He's getting punished for being a real and loyal man.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

Wow where should I begin? If your husband was convicted of something someone else did, more than likely he was around a group of people commiting crimes. If this was his group of "friends" I can almost guarantee that somewhere along the line he commited a felony, even if that is not the one he was convicted of. Believe me, everyone in prison is innocent, or so they say. You say that "injustice" "likes poor people". Boo hoo, get off your ass and better yourself so you are no longer "poor". "Getting punished for being a real and loyal man"? Loyal to who, you for leaving you to fend for yourself while he is away. What a guy.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby340
Wow where should I begin? If your husband was convicted of something someone else did, more than likely he was around a group of people commiting crimes. If this was his group of "friends" I can almost guarantee that somewhere along the line he commited a felony, even if that is not the one he was convicted of. Believe me, everyone in prison is innocent, or so they say. You say that "injustice" "likes poor people". Boo hoo, get off your ass and better yourself so you are no longer "poor". "Getting punished for being a real and loyal man"? Loyal to who, you for leaving you to fend for yourself while he is away. What a guy.

Just by you trying to put down my husband for being true and me for posting what I did makes me think you were one of those lovely prison "snitches". So, is that how you got out of prison so quickly? I think it's hilarious that you want to pick a fight with me. How's your parole officer treating you?