Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

View Poll Results: What type of education do you have?
Male- Didnt graduate from High School 5 0.34%
Male- Graduated from High School 9 0.61%
Male- Graduated with Associates Degree 18 1.22%
Male- Graduated with Bachelors Degree 53 3.58%
Male- Graduated with Post Graduate Degree 16 1.08%
Female- Didnt graduate from High School 25 1.69%
Female- Graduated from High School 171 11.55%
Female- Graduated with Associates Degree 374 25.27%
Female- Graduated with Bachelors Degree 514 34.73%
Female- Graduated with Post Graduate Degree 295 19.93%
Voters: 1480. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2011, 08:10 PM

I have a ba in business marketing and management, a cosmetology license, and I'm a midwifery student.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 PM

Default New here and working on my Masters

Hi Everyone, I have my Bachelors and am working on my Masters in Psychology now. I hate when people judge people by their education. My fiancee was just sentenced to 6 years, will do four hopefully Fla will pas the 71% law and do less but he has a Bachelors as well and had his own business! So Dont let anyone judge you or your loved one that is locked up!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 AM

I have an aa in business administration and in process of a bachelors in criminal justice LoL I'm also a cna

“There’s always going to be bad stuff out there. But here’s the amazing thing—light trumps darkness, every time. You stick a candle into the dark, but you can’t stick the dark into the light.” — Jodi Picoult.
The Following User Says Thank You to futureperry For This Useful Post:
keepthefaith8 (01-11-2012)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 AM

I have a Bachelor's degree in German and two community college degrees, Business AA and an engineering, Mathematics, and Science AS. I worried rightfully so about having a language major, so every elective was used for job skills since I am a country boy at heart and not a natural political office trench fighter. I took engineering classes like drafting, Agricultural classes like Small Engine Repair, Machine Shop, as well as Physics, Robotics, Money and Banking, accounting and law. Almost all of it has helped me out of jams.
I wouldn't EVER advise a language degree because so few people look for cross continent liason people and when they do, they want someone whose lived both places long enough to lose the accent. I have been in call centers where a $50,000 language degree paid $8.50 an hour instead of $8.00 but some of my jobs paid. That said, I have been sent on company dime for business orientation and training to Europe which was interesting. (I was worried about a work permit, but the company said as long as it was under 3 months and I was paid by the American subsidiary company, don't bother. And German helps traveling in Eastern Europe. Now I make double as a truck driver. But I hate office politics and as an ex-con you can be at a disadvantage.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Associates degree in computer information services. Not many jobs in that field in my area.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Cheesin' :D
Donation Award 

I have an associates degree in accounting and I'm currently working on my bachelors
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM

BA in Psychology + a Juris Doctorate. I no longer practice law, but once worked for the DA in a county near the one where my love was prosecuted. I never thought that I could switch tables and work for the defense, but our experience has completely changed my view on that!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:15 PM

Hi everyone! My boyfriend was recently sentenced to 3 1/2 years in PA, however I live in Northern NY. I have a bachelors degree in Foreign Language(Spanish) and Anthropology. I work for the state of New York and sometimes I feel like people judge me because my boyfriend is now in jail. Guess what? I really don't care! I love him and thats all that matters. If these people who judge you are putting people with an education on such a high podium, they should realize you are intelligent enough and able to make smart decisions that are best for you. EVEN IF THAT INCLUDES LOVING AN INMATE! Much love to all of you, we're in this together.
The Following User Says Thank You to Callalilly For This Useful Post:
karuṇā (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,216 Posts

I have my law degree, just need to take (and pass) the bar exam.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytwo View Post
My friends and family are disappointed that im dating an inmate. They often refer to my education as a reason for me not dating a inmate? I always tell them im not the only person with a degree who dates or marries an in mate. so im asking how many of you have degrees and what type of degree do you have?
Bachelors Degree in Bus Admin concentration in Marketing but think of going back for Engineering, CS or Applied Mathematics! SO, honey you arent the only one!!!!!

hugs
Old 11-04-2011, 02:03 PM
therealmrsfelder

Smile Therealmrsfelder

I graduated from a community college with high honors-Associate Degree-6 classes away from a BS in psychology already completed the minor in English. I write short stories, poetry, tutor, mentor haven even taught classes. Society seems to think that when you are in love with or married to an inmate you are stupid, or dumb. I am neither. Love has no boundaries. My husband encourages me when i sometimes want to give up the education thing. He is my cheerleader
Old 11-04-2011, 04:34 PM
AS LONG AS IT TAKES!!

I have an associates in Music, a Bachelors in Communication Disorders, with a minor in Deaf Education, and a Masters in Christian Counseling. I was starting to work on my PhD in Autism studies but ran out of time and money. I was teaching college classes for a while... and taught GED classes in a prison... that was fun!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 PM
CANT WAIT TIL HE IS HOME!

I have 2 degrees...one is an AAS in Veterinary Technology..and the other is an Associates in Health Information Technology ( I just finished over the summer)...I work as a vet tech at an animal shelter under our police department...while I am working on getting my RHIT license to start working in a hospital with my new degree.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,807 Times in 937 Posts

I have my BS and I'm working on my MA. It's NOT an easy task working full time. But I can do it. And who I'm involved with or not involved with has nothing to do with my education. They are completely separate situations.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:49 PM

My education has nothing to do with who I love or marry. I have an Associates Degree in nursing. I am encouraging my mate to further his education as he has such a desire to do so.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,949 Times in 3,184 Posts

BA in English with a creative writing minor. MA in English with a Fiction Writing emphasis. MFA wih a Poetry concentration. I'm engaged to a man who is an ASE Master certified mechanic. He graduated high school and did ALL the technical trade classes to achieve his goal.

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 PM

I have a Bachelor of Science in Education ~~ PreK-6th grade~ Early Childhood minor, Science Minor and an Urban Education Emphasis.
I love seeing all of the education out there!!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Account Closed

I have a BA in Organizational Communication and a MS in Quantitative Analysis. My husband has a BA in History. We are both intelligent people who will make it through this mess. His prison stint does not define who he is as a person and it certainly doesn't define me.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:26 AM

Prison Man (Northern Mich Univ), Ass in General Ed (Washtenaw Comm Col), BA in Multi Cultural Comunications & Multi Cultural Lit (Eastern Mich Univ). Did 1yr of law school at Univ of Mich.
That is reason 101 im a bail bondsman... What else do you do with all that!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 AM

I have BA in Political Science..Months ago I researched stats & told bf that not THAT many inmates are involved w/ladies w/ college degrees...I kidded that inmates might not like such smart girls. When we first traded photos, b4 all the visits, he sent one w/ shirt off & he had fierce tats & my pic had my hair up n my little glasses on..he got mine first n wrote mama ur a goody2shoes, Im worried my tats will scare you. So when I told him bout those stats he said inmates r missin out if they dont like smart girls! And my response..educated ladies r missin out if they close their minds to inmates! Fun to remembr cuz now we know we r so similar & his street smarts make him smarter than me.. but he told me our conversations r so much better than anything else he's had his whole 12yrs down. We've been judged both ways..but our happiness/partnership is best suprise of my life...corny?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
He is my air

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyprisonguy
I have 2 degrees...one is an AAS in Veterinary Technology..and the other is an Associates in Health Information Technology ( I just finished over the summer)...I work as a vet tech at an animal shelter under our police department...while I am working on getting my RHIT license to start working in a hospital with my new degree.
I too have my RHIT and have been coding for years, work in a hospital and at home best of both worlds. I am also soooo very close to my pre-med BS with chem minor.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Donation Award 

Default Life and learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRaeBlue View Post
I too have my RHIT and have been coding for years, work in a hospital and at home best of both worlds. I am also soooo very close to my pre-med BS with chem minor.
I have learned so much from so many people, regardless of their education, including my husband forever, who is incarcerated.

As for the "book learning", I have a Bachelor's Degree, two Master's Degrees and a Ph.D.

Love is patient, love is kind.....
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Free together again by 2020
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 PM

I have a BA and Master's degree in educational management. I'm a teacher and hopefully I will become an assistant principal in the future. My husband never went to college but his memory is as sharp as a knife - he knows so much history that he could be a teacher. I don't wear my education on my sleeve like some of my colleagues (I find this very snooty) so most people don't know what I do anyway. Some people look at me weird when I say my hubby is in prison which is probably why I don't tell people anymore. It's irritating - and kind of sad to see how judgmental people really are.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 AM

I will have my bsn - rn in a few years i have my associates in liberal arts, certified pct, cna & ma and phlebotomist and im in lpn school now.. One more year & im off to my bsn-rn bridge program my baby has 2 certifications in cosmetology and masontry

Amber & Ramon ;; the day you find someone who walks not infront or behind you, BUT beside you, you kno youve found true love <3 6.28
Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

People are always judgmental about everything especially when it comes to matters where they see ignorance fits best.

I hold a BA in Economics with a minor in Art, and currently working towards a Diploma in Forced Migration & Human Trafficking