Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:56 AM

Question Post-Sentencing Question-Will he be sent to county right away?

My friend gets sentenced Jan.26 in Camden. Will he be taken to County immediately - and then usually how long before he will go to CRAF?
How long do they usually stay at CRAF and can you visit there?
Thanks

Last edited by dancindiva; 01-18-2007 at 08:58 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindiva
My friend gets sentenced Jan.26 in Camden. Will he be taken to County immediately - and then usually how long before he will go to CRAF?
How long do they usually stay at CRAF and can you visit there?
Thanks

If he is out on bail, they remand him to the county once he is sentenced. He will remain in the county until the state comes for him. It can take awhile for the state to come get him and take him to CRAF. It depends on how crowded CRAF is and how many people are ahead of him. He can stay in CRAF a few weeks or a few months--that depends on where he is classified to and whether or not that prison has a spot open for him.
No visits in CRAF unless he is going to stay there which is unlikely.
jasonzwifey2011 (09-17-2008)
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 AM

Thank you very much. I'm trying to find info online as to visiting hours/days for Camden Co. jail but I'm not finding anything. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks again....
Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

You have to call the jail and make an appointment to visit your friend...it is a very un-friendly system they have for visitation but be persistant.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
The Following User Says Thank You to egs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2007, 01:16 PM

Well, he's gone...it was awful. The judge let the other family have unlimited statements and a 20 minute video and only let us have ONE
statement! Yea, he will be at County for about 3 weeks his atty said til he goes to CRAF. The judge stayed with the original plea of 6 so it's 85% of that. I'm just numb.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:21 AM

hi dancindiva - just found you -- i just joined this site. my son was supposed to be sentenced this thursday (feb. 15) but it's been postponed until March 23. i have a lot of questions also. my heart goes out to you -- i will be joining you in what you are feeling a just a short time. please feel free to write to me anytime.
joanieruth
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM

Thanks. He's still in County and I haven't seen him. I know I probably won't for awhile. He said he's doing "ok" but it's very boring.
Also feel free to write me anytime. I'm online alot.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Jonathan's Girl

Default Please help..looking at 12 years

Can anyone help me? My man is looking at a 12 year sentence for an armed robbery. He held up a gas station with a knife. He barely (there is a videotape) pulled the knife out and when the attendant reached for a baseball bat, my boyfriend turned and ran out. No one got hurt and the "victim" scared my boyfriend with the bat, not the other way around! Anyway, he has no priors, a couple drug related misdemeanors and because the prosecutor's husband is from India like the "victim" in this case, she will not back down from the 12 year offer. If we go to trial and lose (which we WILL LOSE because of the videotape) he'll get 20 years. He has a huge family and we are all devastated. His attorney filed a motion to suppress the evidence of the knife, but he did it basically to buy us some time with him before he goes away. (He's out on $150,000 bail that his mom put up - her house is on the line) We just can't believe that he is really looking at 12 years. We are trying to find out if there can be a conference between the judge, prosecutor and our attorney. At this point we're trying to get the prosecutor to accept 7 years at 85% which is breaking our hearts, too, but its better than 12. Don't even know what I'm asking but I need advice if anyone knows anything we can do at these final moments with the judge, etc, to get this offer of 12 yrs lowered. Thanks and God bless all you girls out there.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,167 Posts

I don't see why all the legal people can't keep talking until the procesutor says final offer or we go to trial. I am not a legal expert but his lawyer can keep talking.
Judges,as far as I know, don't involved in plea deal talks, that's between the prosecutor and his lawyer.
How long how they been talking?
In my son's case, they talked for 8 months before he accepted the final deal that was offered. He didn't see a judge until a pre-indictment conference at which he formally accepted the plea agreement. He didn't want to risk a trial. The judge accepted his plea deal so I don't know if a judge can change it at sentencing. I do know a judge can reject it then your man can withdraw his guilty plea and I guess you start over.

I hope they keep talking and the lawyer can get a better deal.

Welcome to PTO. This is a great place for a wealth of information.

Last edited by ForMyBoy; 09-17-2008 at 04:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ForMyBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

A judge does not have to accept a plea agreement but typically does. Judge has the right to increase or decrease the sentence. Unless the sentence is so egregious the Judge leaves plea agreements alone.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
The Following User Says Thank You to egs For This Useful Post:
jasonzwifey2011 (09-23-2008)
Old 09-19-2009, 10:40 AM

My stepson was just sentenced to 3 years yesterday. He is currently in Burlington County Jail. Any idea how long they usually keep them there before transferring to state prison?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:13 PM

My son was in Middlesex County for two and a half months. Then he was transferred to CRAF where they evaluate all of them. He stayed there four days and now he is at Garden State Youth Corrections which is one of the places they take people under 27. He has been there three weeks and it took about two and a half weeks to get a phone call from him. Sometime they are at county a shorter period of time. If you need to know anything else just write it and people on this site will usually know the answer and are very helpful and supportive. Good luck and God bless. Tina
Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosa View Post
My son was in Middlesex County for two and a half months. Then he was transferred to CRAF where they evaluate all of them. He stayed there four days and now he is at Garden State Youth Corrections which is one of the places they take people under 27. He has been there three weeks and it took about two and a half weeks to get a phone call from him. Sometime they are at county a shorter period of time. If you need to know anything else just write it and people on this site will usually know the answer and are very helpful and supportive. Good luck and God bless. Tina
yupp...like tina was saying its really all up to the facility. the jails tend to wait until they have a decent amount of guys going to state before they make the trip. sometimes this only takes a couple weeks, sometimes its a couple months. it also depends on how crowded craf is. my boyfriend transfered to craf once after waiting only 2 weeks. this time it took a month. other guys that transferred with him had been waiting 4 months (he came from a really small county jail).

The Following User Says Thank You to bean123 For This Useful Post:
jasonzwifey2011 (09-21-2009)
Old 07-22-2010, 06:11 PM

Help My son is looking at a 3 with a 1 He have 8 months jail time and 4 months before hs is eligible for parole. I think he is still waiting to go to craft. Could someone please tell me what to expect. Thank you