Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service goes here

Old 12-11-2016, 07:23 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the home plan for an inmate being released from prison. What are the requirements? I am living with family and he is welcome here, but unsure about the regulations. Also if I rent a place does the DOC contact my landlord?

My fiancé is incarcerated and should be out in about 10 months. I have questions in regards to the re-entry process and the home plans that need to be submitted. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GingerM; 12-11-2016 at 09:44 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2016, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,555 Times in 3,343 Posts

I don't have any specifics about the home plans or requirements. At 10 months out, he probably doesn't have any of the paperwork in place either. I seem to recall that he'll start getting information and paperwork around the 3 month out timeframe (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me - my knowledge is spotty on this).

The best person to get information from will be his post release supervision officer (aka probation/parole officer) - unfortunately, that person won't be assigned his case until much closer to when he's going to be released (sometimes only weeks away, leaving families scrambling).

There are some requirements that hit everyone, like he won't be able to live in a house that has firearms in it. Depending on his conviction, he may not be allowed to live in a house with minors. There may be limits on alcohol in the house etc. The rest I can't say at all. If you can find his original court records, often those will have a list of restrictions that he will face after release, but when it comes right down to it, it's completely up to the PO.

Also, I moved your two threads into the Parole, Probation & Release forum as your questions pertain directly to that. Since both posts asked slightly different questions, rather than deleting one as a double post (PTO's posting guidelines only allow one thread per topic), I merged the two posts together so that all your questions will get "air time".

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have will be able to help you out.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:14 PM

Thank you! I'm just trying to find me some housing in which he can be welcomed to once he gets out and I want it set up and ready to go so his release doesn't get held up. I know I have to stay in our county, but I don't know much else about the process....I have the option to stay with family, but my mother is elderly and if this is going to be a super stressful ordeal (officers dropping by at random at all times of the day and things like that) I rather find our own place. I'd like to know if they randomly drop by the house and do they talk with the landlord??? If so this will make things harder. And I'd like to know what other things I might need to be expecting.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

They have the authority to randomly drop by, but from all the people I know, it only happens rarely. The PO's are usually so overworked that they barely have time to do the initial walk through. It's not like they're dropping by every week or in the middle of the night.

As for talking to the landlord, I know they'll *ask* you if the landlord is aware - not to be obnoxious, but because they want to make sure that he won't find himself homeless if/when the landlord finds out. They'll also ask for the landlord's contact info. They may or may not follow up with the landlord. It will be better all around to find a place where the landlord knows and is okay. Most folks have reported that going with a private landlord instead of a rental agency has had better success. Most rental agencies flat out turn people away (same with big apartment complexes) if they have felony convictions for anything at all.

And if you tell them that the landlord knows, and the landlord *doesn't* know, that's a strike against him right out of the gate (literally).

One option, if you can afford it, is to go with a "long stay" hotel until he can find a place that works. It's also an option if you're looking and looking and hit a dead end, it can buy you a bit more time. Motel 6 has a long stay hotel that's comparatively inexpensive - still more expensive than rent usually is, but compared to other long stay hotels, it's not bad. Most of them are clean and in reasonably good condition.

If you need to find a place, I suggest Craig's list and trying to stay out of the highly populated urban areas. Find smaller towns within reasonable commuting distance, and even then, look for properties on the outskirts of the smaller towns. Older farm houses and the like in agricultural areas often are good, as the folks who want to live in urban areas will stay closer to town, and those properties are harder to find renters for. The landlords are happy it's rented, and you're happy you don't have to deal with nosy neighbors.

I do wish I had more info for you. I'm only reporting what I've heard from others. I will never go through the process myself, unfortunately, as my Dad died before his sentence ended.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:42 PM
Parole Officer

Be patient. He can't submit a plan until he's 6 months from his ERD date.

By policy, the residence can't put him in violation of his conditions or have any victim issues. Some CCOs will talk to the landlord and others won't.

The Class Counseler and the CCO assigned to the investigation will answer your questions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WA CCO For This Useful Post:
Faithandfire (12-18-2016), GingerM (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

WA CCO - thank you for your response. And thank you for all of the good, useful, helpful information you have given to so many over the years here. I was hoping you'd respond to this.

FaithandFire, I hope WA CCO's reply is more helpful to you than mine was!
Old 12-18-2016, 12:16 AM

Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA CCO View Post
Be patient. He can't submit a plan until he's 6 months from his ERD date.

By policy, the residence can't put him in violation of his conditions or have any victim issues. Some CCOs will talk to the landlord and others won't.

The Class Counseler and the CCO assigned to the investigation will answer your questions.
Thank you so very much for the info. I'm trying to be prepared, but I guess there isn't much more I can do at this point. This has been a scary process. I have so many questions, but patience seems to be proving to be the answer to a lot of them lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Faithandfire For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-18-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 PM

His address will need to be approved by the DOC. They come by about once a week, at random times. Everyone has different restrictions though. He will be assigned a parole officer and his counselor may know more about all of this.

every moment together is a blessingand I have faith that he's coming home soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to gabbygirl372001 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-30-2016)