Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:30 PM

Default Is there any hope for another treatment center???? HELP

My bf ran from a ny hafwayhouse. He ran to a nother state. Got in more trouble and served his time there.sentences supposed to be concurrent or so we thought. He was relesed from prison with no problems. He is currntly in psych ward for mental help. Depresseion bipolar and substance abuse. Ny warrant showed u p and hospital has orders for cops to be notified upon relese. Talkd to pub defender. He said there's no way hed get another hafwayhouse or treatment instead of prison. Is this true? Should I get new lawyer? He really needs help. Not prison. I have audio recordings of him in his mood swings cuz of bipolar. He has been hospitalized for suicide attemps and depression . Hospital wants to send him ot inpatient but pub defender says hell be pickd up before it happesn. HELP. We have a baby coming. Is there any hope? What about house arrest? A mental inpatient long term program? Pleeze!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedicatedwoman View Post
My bf ran from a ny hafwayhouse. He ran to a nother state. Got in more trouble and served his time there.sentences supposed to be concurrent or so we thought. He was relesed from prison with no problems. He is currntly in psych ward for mental help. Depresseion bipolar and substance abuse. Ny warrant showed u p and hospital has orders for cops to be notified upon relese. Talkd to pub defender. He said there's no way hed get another hafwayhouse or treatment instead of prison. Is this true? Should I get new lawyer? He really needs help. Not prison. I have audio recordings of him in his mood swings cuz of bipolar. He has been hospitalized for suicide attemps and depression . Hospital wants to send him ot inpatient but pub defender says hell be pickd up before it happesn. HELP. We have a baby coming. Is there any hope? What about house arrest? A mental inpatient long term program? Pleeze!!!
if he ran away from one halfway house, and has the psychological problems you have described, it is highly unlikely to virtually impossible he will be placed in another halfway house, or offered home confinement. Your description of his symptoms and diagnosis preclude his making any kind of reasonable, rational decisions - and the liability issues of someone with those kinds of issues is so great for the state that incarceration is definitely the most likely outcome - at least as long as he is under the jurisdiction of the State Department of Corrections.

I understand that he may need help not usually available through prison, but absconding from a halfway house, and then getting in more trouble on top of that isn't a helpful thing in terms of expanding his options, or getting the system to give him much of a break. Even in his situation he has to want to help himself - at least to some degree.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 AM

He does want the help. is there any other options? I find it crazy that with the prison systems over crowded... That they have a man who has admitted to his substance abuse issues and WANTS help...has admitted himself to RECEIVE help...that they would just lock him back up. Isn't there anything else? Would if help for the hospitals attorny to speak on his behalf? (He wants to help) or his drs? What about his case worker? Thank you for your reply.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,807 Times in 937 Posts

Ugh...what a horrible situation to be in. I hope he gets help somehow.

Now, not to be rude, cause I mean no harm....really. But if he wanted help, he shouldn't have run from the place that could have potentially given it to him. I know, hindsight is 50/50 but now I doubt he will have many options in his favor.

Sent from my iPad using PrisonTalk
Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 AM

When he ran from the ny hafwayhouse. It was 2008. That's 4 years ago. He has had time to reflect and repent. He contacted the ny hafwayhouse as soon as he got picked up in other state in 2008. He does want the change. He just stumbles along the way
Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedicatedwoman View Post
When he ran from the ny hafwayhouse. It was 2008. That's 4 years ago. He has had time to reflect and repent. He contacted the ny hafwayhouse as soon as he got picked up in other state in 2008. He does want the change. He just stumbles along the way

You will want to prepare to be asked questions like, if he had reflected and repented, as stated, why did he wait until he was picked up to call the halfway house, and why did he get into more trouble?

I don't believe he will encounter an abundance of sympathetic listeners. Every day he was out, he had a chance to make things right. Being all up in arms to get help after being arrested is somewhat of a tired old song to those that continue to hear it.

It will be a tough road.

One last thing that you might want to consider is this - I understand your desire to see issues as a stumble, but the downplaying of actions can often work against you and your efforts. It's best, often times, to call things as they are rather than sugar coating them. It can help convince those that you need to convince that you recognize the severity of the issue.

Best of luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
Erics4ever (01-15-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanked 1,097 Times in 598 Posts

I am sorry yous are goin thru this, I jus don't kno that there is anything else they will do aside from offering him a drug program inside, and a psych eval and so forth inside!

A friend of mine her man was in and out of the system (still is) last time he went in a cpl yrs ago was for not going to hwh when he left state prison...One time he didnt goto a drug court program that they offered him that he asked for instead of prison time and didnt do what was needed and back to prison he went! So the judge was ticked off that he didnt do drug program they offered and said well you now wil have to do one inside, and along w/that he was requesting for psych eval n help and judge there again stated he culd go thru that inside the prison...

with that said i dont believe all programs inside are helpful or the best cuz they aren't! It's that i jus dunno that he'll get to go to a hwh or home confinement now

Hang in there,
now we still wait for a move!!!!
i love n miss mi papi like crazy!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM

Thanked 1,097 Times in 598 Posts

yes there was waiting lists for his programs as well which sux also

ohhhh and i realize too that at the end of my post i put a smile when rlly was sposed to b a from ugh! sorry bout that! i wasn't smilen cuz he mite not go on home confinement or hwh -

w/some outside sources ya mite be able to get sum help i rlly dunno -

keep hangin in there and the facts are if you don't ask if there's any chances from outside sources you'd not know or find out - so asking around never hurts!
now we still wait for a move!!!!
i love n miss mi papi like crazy!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 PM

I knew from the sounds of your post you didn't intend on coming off malicious... Smiley or not lol. I agree. We are gonna do all we can. I spoke to a lawyer who actually took the time to listen...on a sunday no less! And he said "there's always hope!...u just have to wanna fight!" That's all I needed. Either way. I will stand by his side.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM

My heart goes out to you, dedicatedwoman. I know some people who are bipolar and that is a very difficult condition to live with. He needs your dedication and love and I hope that you are able to help him get the help he needs. It's difficult to deal with any mental conditions, but, I believe that bipolar has to be one of the worst ones. I pray that you are strong and that YOU have the support that you need to get through this. I wish I could give you some direction, but I am not able to. All I can do is suggest that you continue talking to the attorneys until you find you that you truly believe will help and not just shoot you a line and take your money.

Sending you lots of positive energy and virtual hugs! Good luck to you both!