Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:25 PM

Default FCI Loretto

It has been a horrifying experience being a 1st time mom watching my 1st time offender son being dragged around the country. He is classified low security. He left the Oklahoma transfer center to be taken to Brooklyn MDC (a frightening place) to USP Brooklyn (another frightening place) and now to FCI Loretto. It's about 600 miles from where we live in Illinois. I can only pray that he has held up and nothing bad has happened to him along the way. I also pray that they had beds available when he got to Loretto because I heard if they don't you are forced to stay in the SHU until they do have a bed. I put money on his books but i know it will still be a minute before he is able to call. Does anyone have any recent information on FCI Loretto? I'm grasping for comfort hoping that he will be somewhat at ease there. Do they have decent programs there for him to get involved in? Will he be safe? A post from a couple of years ago said they don't even have microwaves. Is that still the case? If he is in the SHU waiting on a bed to open up how long could that take? Will he have to spend a lot of time locked in a cell since he's not in there for bad behavior? Anything that anybody can tell me about what it's like there I would TRULY appreciate! Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2019, 05:26 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 23,015 Times in 13,233 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Loretto is either low security, or the minimum security camp, so he could end up in either one. Almost all inmates there (and at similar security level prisons) do well. Loretto had one of the best libraries I encountered, and great recreational opportunities, so even though it had some problematic issues, it was possible to do your time, and then leave.

There is no way to predict if, or for how long, he might have to stay in the SHU when he first arrives, but that is definitely not something that is unique to Loretto. Once he gets used to the day to day life there, he should adapt to whatever is required, so definitely don't anticipate problems that he will probably never encounter anyway. It depends on the warden, and they change regularly.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:52 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. Loretto is either low security, or the minimum security camp, so he could end up in either one. Almost all inmates there (and at similar security level prisons) do well. Loretto had one of the best libraries I encountered, and great recreational opportunities, so even though it had some problematic issues, it was possible to do your time, and then leave.

There is no way to predict if, or for how long, he might have to stay in the SHU when he first arrives, but that is definitely not something that is unique to Loretto. Once he gets used to the day to day life there, he should adapt to whatever is required, so definitely don't anticipate problems that he will probably never encounter anyway. It depends on the warden, and they change regularly.

I concur on much of what fbopnomore says. While Loretto has serious issues, it is not because of prisoner-on-prisoner violence or anything like that. If your son keeps his head on straight, develops a daily routine to keep himself occupied and doesn't get himself into trouble with either the COs or others, then he should be fine. I did 4+ years at Loretto and worked my way through it psychologically. I don't know what your son's specific needs might be, but I might be able to answer more questions for you in private email. I don't know if exchange of email addresses is allowed here on PrisonTalk, but you can certain private message me and I might be able to answer any questions more fully.
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:12 PM

Thank you cal1927!! Yes, I do have more questions. Can you email me at email address removed per PTO policy, contact through private message, fbopnomore That would be so helpful!

Last edited by fbopnomore; 10-01-2019 at 03:20 AM..
Old 09-30-2019, 07:23 PM

Fbopnomore...you are awesome. The support and information you give is like such a heavy weight off of me. Do they have vocational classes? What kind of jobs will he likely be assigned to? My son is one of the most gentle souls you would ever meet. He has never been in jail before. He is looking for no trouble so hopefully the CO's will leave him be. I am so anxious to hear from him and make sure he is ok from the way he was drug around the country to miserable hard core prisons waiting to get placed at a low security prison.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:28 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Being in transit for over 6 months was the hardest part of my bop sentence, by far, so his life should improve once he gets settled at Loretto. Many jobs are available as janitorial and kitchen orderlies. His first job will probably be assigned by his counselor as a kitchen worker. I was able to find my own job in the Chapel.

The only vocational classes were taught by inmates through the education department.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:43 AM

Once again! Thanks! The more I understand how things work the easier it is to calm down! I can't even imagine being in transit for 6 months! Some of this is so inhumane! But i know. They do it because they can. His judge recommended that he go to Elkton in Ohio which is closer to home but more importantly has the RDAP program that he wants to apply for. But somehow he ended up in Pennsylvania. I'm almost afraid of him trying to transfer to Elkton because of the prisons he ended up in while "on this past journey". Not to mention all the excruciating travel. So sorry you had to endure 6 months of that. My son endured 10 days of it and I was a basket case. I would really love to see him get into the RDAP program but now I'm scared of the "in transit". How do you think his chances of being accepted in to it are?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It definitely was "diesel therapy" based on meddling by my former employer, but I expected it to happen, and they didn't disappoint me.

If his presentence investigation report mentions a substance abuse problem within the last year prior to his crime, he will be accepted into RDAP and eventually will be moved to a prison that offers the program. The transfer of prisons usually happens at a point in his sentence where he can complete it, and still benefit from the additional time off & extra time in a HWH. He needs to discuss RDAP with his unit team at Loretto.

Two issues are important: his eligibility for RDAP, and if he is eligible to earn the additional time off of his sentence for successfully completing the program. They are completely different and are based on his actual crimes.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 10-01-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 PM

You guys are sooo helpful!!
He was recommended by the judge to go to FCI Elkton so how he got to Loretto I don't know. We live in Illinois and Pennsylvania is almost 600 miles from where we live...but I'm not going to get too worked up about it. So what crimes would prevent him from getting the sentence in the RDAP program if he's accepted?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:25 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Crimes the bop considers crimes of violence.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5162_005.pdf
Old 12-12-2019, 12:30 AM

My son was just transferred out of Loretto and is being held in Canaan USP. Does anyone know how long he will be kept there? He said he would be sent to Oklahoma for redesignation. I can't tell you how happy I am he is in transit, hopefully closer to home. God does answer prayer!
Old 12-12-2019, 05:09 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Canaan is probably the first stop en route to his new prison. He may be able to call you from some of his temporary stops, and the inmate locator will track his movements. I hope he goes to a much better prison than Loretto.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:17 PM

Son says any prison would be better than Loretto. Also that the Loretto SHU was better than being in the general population.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I agree with your son, Loretto was the absolutely worst bop prison I experienced, even the high security US Penitentiaries were much better situations. The SHU was always full, but it was still preferable to the 8 man "former monk's rooms" (Loretto's first life was as a Catholic Monastery, initially 4 or fewer monks to a room, but now housing 8 prisoners) with zero air movement, and the SHU was also significantly better than the "crack house" dormitory.

One stop in Loretto's overcrowded SHU had me in an auxiliary room with 4 other prisoners. My bed was a steel contraption that may have even been an autopsy table.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 12-12-2019 at 05:45 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:44 PM

My son told me that a wing of the monastery was closed which caused the overcrowding. I recently read that Trump cut the funding for federal prisons. So much for prison reform. The conditions at Loretto sound horrendous. In the SHU they threatened to take his bed away. I'm surprised he's held up as well as he has. What was the "crack house" dormitory?
Old 12-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

That was the nickname for the dormitory housing unit, which I happily never got to experience myself. All bop prisons are difficult, but Loretto was in a class by itself. A TV room fight between 2 guys who couldn't decide between Jerry Springer/BET ended up with the one table on its side. The next morning all of the TV room furniture, except for the chairs, was piled up on top of the trash dumpster.