Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:10 PM
LovingJames

Default Sudden Transfers

My fiance James was incarcerated and charged with Vehicular Homicide and Possesion of a Firearm. The vehicular hom was dropped because the investigators found that the accident was not his fault. The man in the other car who was killed was intoxicated at the time of the accident. James was on probation when the accident happened so the firearm charge had a lengthy penalty.

With all that said, The widow of the man in the other car is sueing James. He was at Troup Co CI until two weeks ago when they sent people from the courts to take his disposition on the suit. After the interview the red carded him, took him off his great detail and was told that he wasn't in trouble. They just wanted to observe him because they thought that the disposition had upset him (having to recall all those horrible events that he has been trying to forget). He said he was fine but the next day they woke him up told him to pack his things and transfered him to Dodge State (South of Macon) without letting his family know anything. When I found out I called Troup Co and spoke with his counselor to find out why and she said thatthe warrden had labeled him an escape risk. So now he has lost his outdoor detail priviledge and minimum security facility and is pulling kitchen duty in a medium security prison. How can they do that?????

Not to mention that I live in Cleveland Tennessee and the rest of his family is in Dallas Ga. 4 and 6 hours away now. Visitation is almost impossible. They shouldn't be allowed to do this to the inmates. More so the ones who have a good record and don't get into trouble otherwise.

Sorry Guys Just very frustrated
Old 08-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Donation Award 

Sorry that you are having to deal with this. Yes, they can do just about anything at any time. THey say that the success of inmates is affected positively if they have a good family support base that will visit them, then they move them so far away that visitation is virtually impossible. My husband was (at one time) 6 hours away and I could only visit him once in the 3 months he was there.
When will he be up for parole? I would allow some time for the dust to settle and for them to see that he is doing what he's supposed to, then start pushing for a move. It's not easy to do, but it doesn't hurt to try.
good luck
peace to you
gagirl
Old 08-17-2005, 08:36 AM

When they moved Jamie they didn't tell anybody anything. I didn't get a call or anything from him in 2 days, so I called the jail and that's when they told me that they had moved him. He went back to R&E for 3 weeks and then was transfered. I didn't get a letter from him or anything until he had been at R&E for almost 2 weeks.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:52 PM

Trying to be objective here is hard because my grandson was suddenly transferred, too. But I will give it a try. Paperwork has to be done. We all know that. So SOMEBODY knows the inmate is going to be transferred. As part of standard operating procedure, why can't the inmate's counselor or a c.o. tell him he is going to be transferred and give him time to notify his family?

For all we know, sop might even include this step. Does anybody have a copy of standard operating procedure for inmate transfers in-state?