Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Sudden Transfers

Are sudden transfers the norm in Georgia? My grandson was awakened yesterday morning at 4:00 a.m. and told he was being transferred. And he was, immediately. No reason was given. He really liked Carroll County, but does not at all like his new placement at Walker State Prison. Is there rhyme or reason to this practice? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2005, 03:30 PM

they did the same thing to Charlie. He was taken from Carroll Co. also. Now he is at Jackson Co. C. I..... Then one night last week they told him to pack up that he was moving again. So he did what he was told,an hour later they said "no...not really,we were kidding".. NOT FUNNY!!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:21 PM
I miss him so much!!!

They move them when they want to ,where they want to, and they don't give you warning.That is just th GDOC for you. Hope things change for him.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:41 AM
Faithfully Devoted

I suppose he dosnt like anywhere but honestly Walker is one of the best and more relaxed facilitys in the state. They also say more people go home from Walker than any other, and they have alot of different work detail options. My fiance is at Walker and he was in Carroll County Sherriff Department before which he also liked but truley its a whole lot bettter than being way down in south GA on a work farm where they do not even have air condition at the prison. Walker has air its very clean the only complaint I have is there counselor and from what I hear they all SUCK Good luck and maybe he will get to likeing it soon.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:59 AM
christ04

That's Gdoc For You!!!they Moved My Fiance In The Middle Of The Night. Didn't Tell Him Where He Was Going Or Nothing.

AT THE SOUND OF THE TRUMPET, IM OUT OF HERE I THEL. 4:7
Old 07-01-2005, 07:06 AM

Hey liljordan,

That makes me feel so much better, to hear from someone who has "real" info. Josh had just gotten back settled in at Carroll CI, from a medical transfer to Wilcox, and this move was such a surprize---par for the course, I guess, from what you all say. We are thankful that he was not sent down to south Georgia, too. I'm sure he will adjust. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:46 AM

I live in walker county and it is a small facility. It really isn't a bad place, I believe there are only 400-600 inmates there. Is this closer from you or further? I wish my man was at Walker!!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Missing Luke

I can tell you that they would not have pulled him out of a county facility and put him in a state prison unless he did something, my fiance is in a county camp and i have spoken MANY MANY times about getting him moved to waker co. or any state prison because he hates the county camp hes at and they have repeatedly told me they will NOT transfer from a county camp to a prison unless its a disciplinary transfer...

" I'm here without you, but your with me in my dreams" ~3 doors down
Old 07-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Missing Luke

but i have to say i wish luke were at walker so tell him to count his blessings as long as its close to his gamily, walker is about 45 mins from me

Old 07-07-2005, 01:17 PM

We have come up with the reason for this transfer. Although no detainer had been placed against him, we knew that he had outstanding charges in Alabama. So, we filed petition for a fair and speedy trial in Alabama, hoping for a dismissal of charges. As a result, Alabama placed a detainer against him, so he had to be moved to a more secure prison. He is adjusting to Walker, just like I thought he would. What choice does he have? LOL

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a swap of our prisons like we do of postcards? I would swap Walker to one of you for Carrollton!

Last edited by feelingpain23; 07-07-2005 at 01:18 PM..
Old 07-07-2005, 05:29 PM

I would swap Dooly for Walker any day!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Missing Luke

i would swap Gwinnett for walker....but that answers your question if they have pending charges anywhere they are not allowed to be in a county camp

Old 07-08-2005, 07:42 PM

I'm really curious about something now. Do you think it's possible that no detainer would ever have been placed if we hadn't brought it to their attention?
Maybe filing our motion was not the best idea. Since he already had tmp, do you think he would have been paroled? If so, then he could just take all his paperwork to Alabama and get bond reinstated? Makes you wonder about the check and balance system. I doubt, though, that if found guilty in Alabama, he would be given credit for time served if he did this. Way too many if's, and's, and but's for me!! Not to mention the why's!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Closed

My sweetie isn't in Georgia, he's in PA, but they do that to them there. Apparently, one reason they move them is if there is an event that they expect arrests at... like a concert or something... they open up spaces in the jail by transferring current inmates.