Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service goes here

Old 03-06-2018, 09:24 PM

Default DOC home visit

My husband is scheduled to be released in about a month and he is actually transferring from another state here to Washington so the interstate compact is under review as we speak. I got a letter last week from the probation officer here in the city we live in contacted him and he would like to come do a home visit next week. Can anyone tell me what that consist of and will I know immediately after the visit if he will be approved to come stay here or how long after the home visit will I find out if he is approved to release her to our home???? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2018, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,612 Times in 3,365 Posts

The PO will come out, walk through your house, ask you questions about who lives there, possibly ask about alcohol, firearms, computers etc (depending on what his conviction was for and what was on the final judgment order).

After that, s/he will fill out a report and submit it for approval. It is unlikely that s/he will approve/deny your home while there unless there's something blatantly obviously wrong. S/he may tell you that "it looks good" or "you'll need to fix [problem]". But s/he won't be able to give you a definitive yes/no answer until later on.

Also, get everything in writing. Everything. If they say "this is what you need to do to be compliant", get that in writing. If they say "everything looks good", get that in writing. There are horror stories of people having one person do the home check, then, by the time hubby is released and on his way, a new PO has entered the picture who interprets the rules differently. Once it's in writing, it's easier for you to advocate on behalf of yourself and of hubby.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:25 PM

Thank you that helps a lot. No drug or alcohol was involved so we should have no issues there. When you say get it in writting do I just ask them to sign something or can I just record the visit ? I actually have cameras inside and outside my home 24/7 and DOC has been advised of this so also recording with my phone shouldn’t be a huge deal. They actually have until March 23 to have this approval or denial complete and I’m so blessed DOC is coming this Friday so I’m sure the approval will be in faster as the hubby is scheduled to be released in 4 weeks
Old 03-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

"Get it in writing" can mean anything as long as there's someone's name on it and it's an official letter. So you can get it in writing by asking them to send you a copy of the paperwork, or you can ask them to send you a letter stating [whatever it is that you're concerned about]. Usually, asking for a copy of the paperwork they have to fill out anyway is the best way to find out what the official version is.

The problem is that they'll say one thing in your house, and then, because they're human like the rest of us, by the time they get back to the office, they may not remember all of what they said, or it may have changed in their memory, so it gets written down slightly differently than what they said. That's where problems can arise. You need to know the official "what's in the record, what will the next PO be reading" version. The only way to do that is to get it in writing.

Hope that helps. I sincerely mean that the person really does mis-remember by the time they get back to the office. These folks have an ungodly case load, so they're pretty overwhelmed a lot of the time and ... well, it's not a good situation for anyone then.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:46 PM

I wonder if I can record the walk through they are already aware that my house is recorded 24/7 I guess what I’m mostly worried about is they have 2 weeks for an approved to be turned in and my husband is scheduled to be released in 26 days
Old 03-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Parole Officer

Do not try to record it. I believe Washington requires the consent of both parties before you can legally record. Personally, I wouldn't even complete the investigation if you tried.

All the officer is going to do is verify that the residence doesn't put the offender in violation of the sending and receiving states conditions of supervision. Most will go over the offenders criminal history and make sure you're aware of how supervision works. You will not get anything in writing because it's on the offender to remain in compliance.

DOC policy gives the officer 30 days to complete the plan. Some will take the entire 30 days. You could follow up with the officer in a week or so and ask the status.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WA CCO For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-09-2018), maytayah (03-10-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 PM

Ok that’s great information thank you so much. My lawyer spoke with the sending state where he is currently incarsarated and initiated the interstate compact and we were told by law they have 30-45 days to complete that end date falls on 3/23 so just praying that we get the approval soon. So would WA DOC notify my husband directly or will they notify the sending state ? Thanks again so much
The Following User Says Thank You to hk3 For This Useful Post:
xolady (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Parole Officer

ICOTS rules give the receiving state 45 days, DOC policy is 30 days to complete the investigation once it's assigned to an officer. Once approved or denied, who ever started the transfer is notified.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM

So is that for a total of 75 Days because I guess I’m super confused and I’m sorry if I’m annoying anybody I’m just really nervous but the investigation was assigned to this DOC officer on February 8 was when the date of the letter came to my house requesting me call him to set up a time for this and home inspection
Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Parole Officer

I don't know where you're getting the 75 days, so I really can't explain it. It may have taken 75 days for him to get the plan together.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:44 PM

Take my advice and make sure to have your husband get everything...and I mean everything the probation officer says in writing. My husband's made home visits and verbally told us that certain things he were ok, then denied it later and gave my husband violations based on it. I have learned to get everything on paper since then.

every moment together is a blessingand I have faith that he's coming home soon!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Well for now the officer says he doesn’t know if my home will be approved since it was originally a demoatic violence case and even tho my attorney and I have had the no Contact order rescinded almost 5 1/2 months ago he still says it may be a struggle and he may have to release to his brothers address and said at this point I do not care where he releases as long as it’s coming home
Old 03-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Parole Officer

Beyond the conditions imposed, Court orders, you're not going to get anything in writing. You're not going to get a transcript of every home/office visit.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 PM

Oh yea I didn’t ask for anything in writting I feel that would kind of be rude lol. I just want to know once this house or his brothers home is approved how will I know so they notify him His self in prison in California or can I call and get updates ?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:36 PM

They will notify him since he is the one on probation not you. I've been doing this 14 years now and it is not rude to get the rules of parole on paper. I have seen more than one person be told something by an officer that was not held up to. Remember it's hardest once they come home because they have many rules. It's always good to know the rules and make sure everyone is on the same page. Your husband should be informed of everything.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:00 PM

Ok we’re down to like 25 days so I hope he’s notified soon and I know this is a little different since it is a interstate compact transfer because he is currently in California then transferring back here to Washington where we are from. So if he doesn’t hear anything in a couple weeks I can always have my attorney contact you see that’s usually how I get answers fairly quickly LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to hk3 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:19 PM

That's very exciting! I hope everything goes smoothly and he's home soon!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:32 PM

Thank you so do I and I knew in Jesus name he will be ��������❤️❤️
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 AM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 799 Posts

>I believe Washington requires the consent of both parties before you can legally record.

Correct. WA is a 2-party consent state.

One police officer in my home town tried to threaten a motorist who was recording him based on that law. His department came down on him so hard he may still be flat. Law enforcement on duty does not have a "reasonable expectation of privacy".

I recommend against becoming the test case about whether parole officers are like police officers. Also recommend against p___ing off someone who has that much authority over your loved one.

I wonder what would happen if you politely asked "Officer, I do have a memory problem, and it's important to me that I get everything right. Do I have your permission to record, so I don't forget anything important?"

I know zero about whether this would work but one way you get something in writing in the business world is to take careful notes and fax a copy (I think they still use faxes) with a note that says something like "This is my best recollection of our meeting. If any part is in error, please let me know, otherwise I'll proceed in reliance on what you said MM/DD".

You could also ask the PO to initial your notes on the scene but I have a hunch that's impossible, and WA_CCO will know for sure instead of having a hunch.
GingerM (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

email works as well as a fax. It's now considered a legal copy.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:45 AM
Parole Officer

If the sponsor struggles with remembering no guns, drugs, alcohol, dangerous animals and officers will stop by on a monthly basis, they probably shouldn't be a sponsor. Worse, it'll appear you're going to be the enabling type.

Now that doesn't mean you can't have an honest and open communication with the officer. But that's going to happen when you want to record the meeting or initial my notes.
The Following User Says Thank You to WA CCO For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-17-2018)