Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 PM

Alright I will tell what I find out....
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Banned

In NY the process is as follows (it may be similar in other states or at least give you an idea of what you may have to do)

1) Both you and your sweetie must send requests for permission to marry

2) Once you receive the permission they give you a date to come and do the license (Mines in Oct. 11)

3) You will need his and your social, cert. birth certificate, and your photo id for the license ($40.00 for license)

4) After that you have 60 days for the ceremony (In my honey's jail it is only on Wed. and Thurs. they perform the ceremony).

5) You can bring your own witness or have someone in the jail or another inmate be a witness (Me and my honey were witnesses for berniesangel's wedding)

6) You must inform prison of what day you intend to marry

7) you must bring $75.00 gift for the Justice of the Peace and they will marry you

You can wear a dress in my honey's prison but it can't set the metal detecor off so we are limited. That is pretty much it. Good Luck to you and yours. Let us know what happens!!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:28 PM

So i send the request to the Prison itself??? I read on another thread that the wardon has to approve it.. I don't see where that is right. What if he says no.... That would be messed up ....
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 PM

An that you've gotta see a counsler and all that crazy stuff.. I hope not I hope it's like NY.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Account Closed

I just got married in Iowa and we had to meet with the chaplain and then have the warden approve it, but it seems as though those were just formalities. Your fiance should be able to find out any information - just have him ask around. Odds are that he can another inmate who was recently married or he can just ask his counselor or the chaplain.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

We had to write to the superintendent of the particular prison.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!! Have you asked around the Georgia forum for information? We also have a state by state thread with information! Best wishes!!!

Patti
Old 09-27-2006, 12:57 PM
February 2008

Default I would call the Chaplain

Hey JustB
Don't know if you've had all your questions answered. I would call the Chaplain. They should have a form to fill out. And as far as who does all the work, that would be you. That's pretty much how it is. My Baby and I have been going through the Bull S--- for a month now. The Chaplain at Coffee Correctional Facility offers very little help when he seeks guidance from her. So, basically I'm doing everything. I wish you luck and if there's anything I can help you with, just let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB
I have a question....

His chaplain is telling him that i have to do all the work - - -
and they have no forms, etc.
He is going to ask again today - - but from what i understand he has to get forms/paperwork for me to fill out??
Does anyone know if this is true for Jackson??
Old 10-12-2006, 04:54 PM
February 2008

Default Did you find your answers

Hey Scittlez,
I know you posted this almost a month ago, but just browsing through and seen your post. If you havent found your answers to your post, send me a PM and I'll help you as much as I've found out so far. My fiance and I are going through the paperwork and other stuff you have to go through, so I can guide you up to where we are now. Our new dilema is a PREACHER!!! No one at the prison will help us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scittlez
An that you've gotta see a counsler and all that crazy stuff.. I hope not I hope it's like NY.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Miss'n my brother!

babydoll113 ~ Could you post the info you have that way when other members need it, they'll be able to find it here? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2006, 07:24 PM
February 2008

Default Getting Married in Georgia

The inmate has to take the first step by going to the Chaplain at the prison and request the marriage packet. The Chaplain will tell him what steps he has to take. My baby is in a Coffee Correctional Facility, a private prison in Georgia, so they have their own rules as well as DOC.
You will need to start getting some things such as yours and his birth certificate, social security cards, divorce papers if ever married before. I don't think all counties require this, so you will have to check with the probate court to see what they require. I've sent off for his birth certificate and his counselor was really nice and sent me a copy of his social security card,
The Chaplain at his facility does not perform the ceremony, and offered no help, so I had to find my own. They require a copy of the preacher's credentials.
Only approved ppl on his visitation list can attend the ceremony, which my family can't attend because they're not on his visitation list and can't be put on there til we're married.
This facility does not allow any photos!!!
They allow the last 15 minutes of visitation for our marriage (woo hoo, could they spare it???).
So, once he fills out the paperwork received from the Chaplain, he will send it to you. You will fill out your portion, get the marriage license and send to the Chaplain at the prison.
You will have to send a copy of the marriage license to DOC in Atlanta for approval.
Yes, you will have to have other approvals at the prison. In his, the Warden, the Assistant Warden, the Chief of Security and the Chaplain.
No wedding dress, no flowers.
He has to wear his prison whites, so I plan on wearing white jeans and a white blouse, and probably black boots to match his.....
We still haven't got all the paperwork turned in, so I'll update when its in and we get married. Hope this has helped. I'm sure all the facilities in Georgia are not like this one. They seem to have a whole lot of new rules of their own.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Manda1111

My man is at Jackson and just asked me to marry him today so if you hear from anyone else on this will you please let me know also? I have no clue what-so-ever as what to do as far as who to call, paperwork, how to get the rings, ect. I need help, I admit it....lol. Thanx
Old 10-19-2007, 11:25 AM

Hi how is eveyone. Frederick & I has are papers sign and everything but I when to Atlanta to get our license and they told me that I had to have a pic ID and a certified copy of his birth certificate. I live 5 hrs away from Atlanta. I was piss. So plz make sure u have everything. We waiting on his birth certificate. He phillips state prison.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:13 AM
GDC has my HEART:-(

I have a doozy ladies......

My man and I have been knowing each other for 20 years this Halloween...We were friends for the first 4 dated for the next 6 and then we kind of split up and I moved on with my life...fastforward to now he is incarcerated and well we have reconnected in a BIG way and we want to get married IMMEDIATELY...Here's the doozy..I work for the DOC not his county camp but I do work for a Prison..(when I applied for the job it was a blind ad, the DOC does not tell you you are applying for a Prison..I guess not to scare you away)I am urgently trying to leave but we want to get the ball rolling so that we can try to do it before the end of the year...He has sent me everything but once my name hits the system I'm sure it will sound off all kind of bells...I'm so frustrated!!!
By the way does anyone know which counties does not require both parties to be present for the license process???

Last edited by MYLILSECRET; 10-21-2007 at 10:15 AM..
Old 10-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Manda1111

WOW! OMG! I bet you are so tired of trying to keep that a secret at your workplace. I feel for ya honey but I really don't know what to tell ya. I know you're not suppose to have any relations with inmates right? Well, what can they do, fire you? It sounds like ya'll are meant to be together so all I can say is "GO 4 IT" AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:02 PM
GDC has my HEART:-(

What county allowed you to get a license??? Every county I called said he had to be present to get an application...HELP i'm FRUSTRATED!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Donation Award 

has anyone found out what county issues licenses? sumter county issues them for inmates who are in prison within the county. i guess ga is anti-marriage.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Default What Counties In Ga Issue Marriage License?

I CANT FIND A COUNTY THAT WILL ISSUE A LICENSE TO ME, THEY SAY THAT HE HAS TO BE PRESENT! IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME WITH ANY INFORMATION AS TO WHAT COUNTY ISSUED YOUR LICENSE I WOULD BE SO THANKFUL! WE ARE TRYING TO GET MARRIED B 4 I GO INTO THE MILITARY!

Last edited by mrsmckenzie2b; 09-16-2008 at 10:47 AM..
Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM

Default Hi....

Well at first I was told that Cobb County use to issue marriage license to the incarcerated but I called and told me that they stopped doing it a year ago. So I called Baldwin county and they are allowing it. But the only thing is that my fiancee' is in Scott state prison in Baldwin county. Call Baldwin County Probate Court (478-445-4807) Judge Blackwell. I don't know if that makes a difference or not but call them anyway and find out. I hope all goes well we are in the final stages and all If have to do is choose a date for he ceremony and go back to baldwin and obtain the official marriage license.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmckenzie2b View Post
I CANT FIND A COUNTY THAT WILL ISSUE A LICENSE TO ME, THEY SAY THAT HE HAS TO BE PRESENT! IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME WITH ANY INFORMATION AS TO WHAT COUNTY ISSUED YOUR LICENSE I WOULD BE SO THANKFUL! WE ARE TRYING TO GET MARRIED B 4 I GO INTO THE MILITARY!
Hey my sweetheart is in Phillips State Prison and I got our marriage license just last month in Gwinnett County. I had to have his certified birth certificate, and a notarized letter from him among other things that are in the packet. I had to drive to Gwinnett three different times because each time they added something else that we needed. I was determined to get our license and God made it happen. So try Gwinnett Probate Court. Congratulations on your engagement. We are getting married in a week and I am so excited.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Im missing him!

my fiancee is in coastal but i dont know how long he will be there. Should I just wait a while to try this marriage in jail or should proceed to gettin all the paperwork done?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Wait until he's housed permanently

nevaehmama....If i were you I would wait because the process could be a lengthy one and you may be in the middle of it and your fiance' could be transferred! hopefully where ever he goes, the prison allows in house marriages. After diagnostics, my fiance' went to a county camp first that didn't allow marriages and then he requested to be sent to another prison so that we could get the marriage process started. It has been two years and we are so excited. So goodluck with everything.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:27 PM
With him for LIFE!

What if we have all the required birth certs, but he doesn't have a valid ID b/c it expired while he was in jail. Is there a way to obtain a license in the state of GA if he is still in jail?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readhead View Post
What if we have all the required birth certs, but he doesn't have a valid ID b/c it expired while he was in jail. Is there a way to obtain a license in the state of GA if he is still in jail?
When I got married last year, I had all of the required things and he had to send me a notarized copy of his prison ID and the county used that to issue our license. His counselor had it notarized for him and he mailed it to me. I hope that this helps.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 AM

Unhappy new and needing info/support/help

hello, im new here. im young and my b/f and i got engaged the day he got in trouble and went to lowndes county jail. we really want to get married and we dont know how long he's going to be there. i tried calling both lowndes county probate court, the sherrif's office, and the jail. no one seemed to know what they were talking about and most had no clue about anything about getting married while in jail. and finally someone from the sherrif's office came on the phone line and told me there was no way to get married while in the county jail. is this correct? is there any way to get around this? like contacting another county to get married in? someone please help me. im so stressed and its so hard to be out on my own. any information would be sooooo helpful. thanks!