Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Question How to get compassionate release for TX inmate?

My brother is currently in the 6th year of a 13 year sentence. This is his 3rd time down. He was first diagnosed with throat cancer. Had surgery, 35 chemotherapy treatments, and 31 radiation treatments. The cancer has mastastized and he is now considered terminal and will only receive compassion care from Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice. His doctor told him he is recommending his release, but a month later there is no news. I was told by a former inmate that I will probably have to hire an attorney if I want any chance of bringing him home before he dies. I am willing to hire an attorney. I will give them all I have, but that is only about 1000 dollars and I am told it will be 3 times that amount. Does anyone know anything about compassionate release and what I need to do. I had a terrible accident years back and was hospitalized for months. My brother made for sure I never woke up alone, and I can't stand the thought that he is going to die alone. I don't understand why terminal inmates are not automatically allowed to go home to die.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator on Leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,055 Posts

I'm sorry I don't have an answer but I moved your thread to the Texas forum because you will get more state specific answers here.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,510 Times in 12,964 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. The federal First Step Act impacts Texas compassionate release. Here is a Texas Tribune article that discusses it.
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/12...minal-justice/

Here is a link to Families Against Mandatory Minimums, FAMM, report on compassionate release. Texas is listed on the appendix on page 32.
https://famm.org/wp-content/uploads/...ary-Report.pdf
Old 06-16-2019, 06:18 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,433 Posts

I've several men not make it home under the same circumstances you're describing during my stay at the Michael unit in Tennessee Colony. There's a hospice there. Everyone situation is different and because of that theres always hope. I don't know how well you're acquainted with the state representative in your area aswell as the senator, but you might try reaching out to them and at least see what they have to say and possibly offer. Never hurts to try.
fbopnomore (06-17-2019)