Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 AM
free

Default Federal visitation approval for felon no longer on supervision?

Hi Prison Talk,

A friend of mine is awaiting sentencing for federal charges in a few months. I would like to visit him but I am curious as to whether I would be approved for visitation, since I'm a felon. We have no family or other ties, just friendship. I am a convicted felon, having been sentenced to 3 1/2 years/5 years post-release supervision in New York for burglary in the 2nd degree. I am no longer on parole or subject to any kind of restriction or penalty; my conviction was almost ten years ago. His charges are drug-related. The friend in question is not a codefendant of mine and we have never been involved in any criminal activity or charges together, although I know him from serving time with him. My question is as to whether I'm likely to be approved to visit him at his eventual permanent facility.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this post.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,619 Posts

If your charges are not for promoting prison contraband and you are totally off paper there is a good chance you could be approved. If you had disciplinary inside for contraband or drugs they may look into it more. Just be sure to fill the form out entirely and honestly. Good luck.
fbopnomore (05-04-2018), louisb (05-04-2018), Ms Sunny (05-04-2018), xolady (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:41 PM
free

That's right, I'm completely off paper with no parole violations. I have never had a disciplinary for contraband or drugs and I've never had drug charges. Thanks very much for your assistance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to louisb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-04-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:45 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,619 Posts

You should be good to go then! You're very welcome.

I was the co-defendant to my ex's case (though I knew him long before prison) and as soon as I got off paper I was approved.
louisb (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,509 Times in 11,447 Posts

Your criminal history won't be a problem as long as you are finished with parole/probation. The bop is very interested in if you knew the inmate before he was incarcerated. Since you did, be sure to answer that question on the visitor's application with "yes".