Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts
Default List of mail rules by facility from late 2017

https://cic.dc.gov/sites/default/fil...er%2013%20.pdf

Quote:

The Corrections Information Council staff called Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) prisons and contract prisons that house persons convicted of DC Criminal Code offenses to ascertain changes in policies affecting incoming mail, in response to the synthetic drug crisis. Below are responses from facility mail room, executive, and administrative staff, between October 17, 2017, and November 13, 2017.
Their list of Federal prisons is incomplete.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 12:28 AM

Thanked 1,203 Times in 609 Posts

Speaking of mail rules, my husband was sent a calendar from the Aleph Institute (I'm guessing perhaps it was a Jewish calendar with Jewish Holidays), among other things and the calendar was removed from the package they sent him as not being an allowable item. Can anyone tell me why a calendar isn't allowed?

Also, if anyone knows anything about the aleph institute, if a calendar from them isn't allowed, wouldn't they then know that they can't send one in? It makes me wonder then if perhaps this calendar should have been allowed in, because the aleph institute works with inmates and I don't understand then why they would be sending in calendars.

But my question is really two parts - first being why are calendars even prohibited? It's not like a guy can't make their own calendar.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,338 Times in 11,848 Posts

From the differences in mail rules at various federal prisons, apparently they are up to each warden. I have no idea why a calendar would be denied, but one other issue can be the CO in the mailroom. Having a bad day can cause a bad day for the inmates too.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:58 PM

Thank you for that link Minor activist! I'm still not sure where it's located on the BOP site, but I was tired of looking.
I do know that in addition to what's posted on the list, where my son is, in Loretto, they can only have color pictures (photos) sent in if they're on regular, GLOSSY, photo paper.
Supposedly, you can print a picture at home on regular paper in B&W, however, depending on who's in the mail room, they may be sent back too.
I did send some B&W pictures on GLOSSY, photo paper, and that was OK a few months ago.
I also sent a box with several soft-covered books and magazines & they were accepted. However, I forgot to put in the wall calendar I bought for him in the box (which I buy him every year), so it will be interesting to see if they let in.

Also, his birthday card was returned last October because I didn't realize that needed to be in a white envelope!
Hallmark better change the envelopes they supply with the cards!

The Following User Says Thank You to do97jdl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-09-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Calendar may have been spiral bound. I know that wouldnít be allowed. I tried sending a calendar from home that I had made from a card company and it was returned. I had to have it mailed directly from the company. So if it came from the company, I would assume something about it wasnít allowed.
The Following User Says Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:43 PM

Why would a spiral bound calendar not be allowed?

I sent him a Valentine's Day card that was not in a white envelope - can't remember if it was red or pink, but that got through no problem at least. Clearly, no consistency.

One thing they do that is annoying is after they open the mail I send in, they staple it back up, and sometimes it tears when he reopens it. So if I'm sending something now with multiple pages, I'm just putting it in a flat envelope instead of a letter envelope, to ensure that it doesn't get ruined when they staple it closed, since they clearly don't give a crap what condition it gets to him in.

On the other side of things. He's also been able to send out the books I've sent him that he wants to keep for his collection at home. They first told him he would have to send them Priority mail, but fortunately, I am very familiar with media mail so when he asked about that, they said he send them out that way. That has been a godsend and so cheap, but he can only send out the books, not his papers.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (07-03-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:54 PM

The bind, either metal or plastic, can easily be used as a weapon.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by His_Queen13 View Post
The bind, either metal or plastic, can easily be used as a weapon.
I suppose, but we're talking about a camp here. They have silverware (minus knives), pens and other writing utensils, paper clips, nail clippers, scissors, and certainly other things that are certainly more dangerous or harmful than the spiral from a calendar!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:26 PM

I understand what youíre saying. Silverware is counted after meals at most facilities, Iím assuming itís the same there. So itís easy to know if something is missing. Most levels have nail clippers and such as well. They arenít only allowed at camps. Thereís no way to track the calendar spine and not everyone that starts at a camp finishes there. Maybe call the company that sent it.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by His_Queen13 View Post
I understand what youíre saying. Silverware is counted after meals at most facilities, Iím assuming itís the same there. So itís easy to know if something is missing. Most levels have nail clippers and such as well. They arenít only allowed at camps. Thereís no way to track the calendar spine and not everyone that starts at a camp finishes there. Maybe call the company that sent it.
Not sure if they count silverware. Iíll have to ask him. I recall him once telling me when he was working in the kitchen that he was putting the silverware in the containers after it was washed and no one was hanging around over his shoulder counting it. I only know that because there was some other story with the CO he told me, otherwise I wouldíve had no clue he ever put silverware away. Pretty sure it wasnít being counted then or before.

Also somewhere else awhile ago I had read that calendars arenít allowed in prison, so I really donít think it has anything to do with binding. Most arenít bonded with spirals these days anyway, expesciallt charitable organizations which this is where it came from.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
xolady (04-11-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 04:27 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,937 Times in 15,109 Posts

The mail, email & sending books rules have changed, and *I believe* may turn out to be system wide. Please see the following threads:

New bop system wide phone, email/book policy

Victorville mail: No more cards, pictures, magazines, books, stickers, etc

Effective Monday May 14, 2018: FCC Coleman New mail & book policies

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-30-2018)
Closed Thread