Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:51 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,296 Times in 13,860 Posts

for SURE take care of any thing medical/dental.

Health care in prison stinks pretty bad. Dental is even worse.
Hopefully you have a parent or sibling willing to help with some of the details of getting needs met.
If you want to have them or anyone else visiting, be sure to start that process as soon as you are able to send them a visit form.
Having some money on your books will help you to get the things you will need.
Stamps, paper, writing utensils, shampoo, etc.....
If you know what facility you will be going to (state prison, county jail or what)
find the facility here on PTO and read up in those forums to hopefully better understand the ins and out of that facility. (they can vary on what is allowed in what place)

Tough spot to be in Amberwave......(the decision) But a year isnt forever. Its true its going to be the aftermath that is difficult.
And wise decision about not sharing details. It IS the internet afterall.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
AmberWaves94 (06-15-2018), fbopnomore (06-15-2018), Sarianna (06-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2018, 07:11 AM

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,831 Posts

First off possession with intent they have to actually catch you with the drugs!!! I know this for fact that's why they are offering a year your lawyer is not doing you any favors. I would never take a plea if it was me. I don't care what the threat was my freedom means more to me then others. I don't believe they have shit on you that's why they are offering a year!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
rockchalk1 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
First off possession with intent they have to actually catch you with the drugs!!! I know this for fact that's why they are offering a year your lawyer is not doing you any favors. I would never take a plea if it was me. I don't care what the threat was my freedom means more to me then others. I don't believe they have shit on you that's why they are offering a year!!
Can I ask you a dumb question? You'll see I really am obtuse when it comes to drugs and drug crimes. Is the reason you're saying they don't have shit on her, because possession with intent is a charge that means she must have had possession of the drugs themselves, not just cash? She only mentioned cash in common areas and the LSD (do people still even use that these days?), was in the roommate's room. I will have to ask my kids if they know what LSD is. Don't they call that Molly or something? What 24 year old uses that name? Maybe it's my own ignorance.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,293 Times in 11,344 Posts

Knowing very little about the facts of her case, my guess is that drugs found in the common area were charged to her, either totally, or the ownership was split with her roommate. There will be lots of case law available explaining the legal elements of her charges from the trials of the other million or so folks who have also been charged with drug crimes in her State.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Knowing very little about the facts of her case, my guess is that drugs found in the common area were charged to her, either totally, or the ownership was split with her roommate. There will be lots of case law available explaining the legal elements of her charges from the trials of the other million or so folks who have also been charged with drug crimes in her State.
If I recall correctly, she said no drugs were found in the common area, only the cash was found in their hiding place in the common area and the LSD was found in the bedroom of the roommate.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
If I recall correctly, she said no drugs were found in the common area, only the cash was found in their hiding place in the common area and the LSD was found in the bedroom of the roommate.
Yeah, but the cash probably has traces of LSD all over it, and she already confessed to joint custody of the cash. Again, we don't know all the facts here, which OP admits there is more than just the cash linking the evidence to her. The police don't generally charge people with Possession with Intent to Deliver without some pretty strong probable cause.

I'm sure if it was only the cash found in the common area, without any other evidence, her attorneys wouldn't be advising her to take the plea.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-15-2018), Sarianna (06-16-2018), WeepingWillow (06-15-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:53 PM

Default The art of the Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberWaves94 View Post
I hope no one minds if I relate a bit of backstory before getting to my question. I'm sorry, but I need to vent after everything I've been dealing with.

While not my real name, you can call me Amber. I'm 24 years old. My roommate of two years committed suicide in our apartment. When I discovered her body, I immediately called 911 and the police arrived. During their investigation, they discovered an insane amount of LSD tabs in her room. Enough to suggest she'd been dealing. I swear to God I hadn't known anything about it. Even now, I don't know who she was selling to or where she was meeting these people because we didn't have a lot of people coming and going at our place.

The police didn't believe that I could have been ignorant about all this and so I was charged. I know some of you may not believe me and I don't care. I know that I'm innocent.

Fortunately, my parents were able to help bail me out and help me hire a decent attorney. I'm now living with them as I was evicted after all this went down. In the months since all this happened, I've been going to work to work every day like nothing has happened, trying to keep it together.

I keep replaying every interaction between my roommate and I in my head over and over. I keep looking for some warning sign that I missed, but I can't find anything. Knowing she had this whole other life and kept it so well hidden makes me wonder if I ever knew her at all.

Back to my legal situation...the prosecution has offered me a deal. If I agree to plead guilty, I'll only serve a year in prison. Otherwise, I could be looking at ten years. My lawyer insists it's the best I can hope for. I trust his judgment as he's handled a lot of drug cases, so I've decided to accept the deal.

I can't believe my roommate put me in this situation. I want to grieve for her and tell her to go to hell all at the same time. And I keep wondering why she didn't trash the drugs before killing herself. Was it simply an oversight? Did she simply not care what might happen to me?

I'm sorry to have rambled on like this. Here's what I want to ask about. I'll be in court soon to accept the plea. Then I'll be off to prison. I've never been in trouble with the law and neither has anyone in my family or any of my friends (as far as I know). So, I have no idea what to expect. I was hoping someone might be able to offer some tips for getting along with other inmates, dealing with the guards, and, hell, just getting through the next year with my sanity intact.

If you made it this far, thank you, and I sincerely hope you're doing better than me.

So, here's my advice. Take the deal. While there seems to be little connecting you to the case...if you lose at trial you'll be kicking yourself. I can speak from first hand experience. My attorney insisted I go to trial as I had my case beat and the "DA was pulling at straws". Despite being offered a 3 year deal, I took my attorney's advice and went to trial. Well, the unlosesable case was lost. My 3 years in a deal turned into 20 years after a jury found me guilty. I spent 13 inside and still wish I would have taken the deal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to formerwisinmate For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-20-2018), Nickel Timer (06-19-2018), Sarianna (06-20-2018), WeepingWillow (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerwisinmate View Post
So, here's my advice. Take the deal. While there seems to be little connecting you to the case...if you lose at trial you'll be kicking yourself. I can speak from first hand experience. My attorney insisted I go to trial as I had my case beat and the "DA was pulling at straws". Despite being offered a 3 year deal, I took my attorney's advice and went to trial. Well, the unlosesable case was lost. My 3 years in a deal turned into 20 years after a jury found me guilty. I spent 13 inside and still wish I would have taken the deal.
Words of wisdom... I can't tell you how many fellow prisoners I heard the same story from. Those who dared take it to trial and were hammered with the "trial penalty", sentenced to the max, when they could have just taken the deal and been freed years ago.

Just remember folks: in most states, the prosecution's conviction rate is over 90%. It doesn't matter if you're innocent or guilty, once you are criminally charged or indicted: in over 9 out of 10 times the jury is going to find you guilty regardless.

So think very carefully before you choose to take it to trial.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-20-2018), Sarianna (06-20-2018), WeepingWillow (06-19-2018)