Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:50 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,223 Times in 15,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post
I'm not an expert on federal prison politics or policies but I'm going to take a guess about the reason they disapproved your visitation. The powers that be fear you're a social activist, a reasonable assumption based on your curriculum vitae. They don't want to have to fend off endless motions of all sorts designed to give your lady a bit of happiness or even marginally decrease her sense of oppression.
Uh, no, that's not it at all. Federal facilities do not normally approve MWI for visit lists. According to Federal policy, one must know the inmate before incarceration to be on their visit list.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
candy (09-23-2017), Lovebirds (03-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2016, 09:10 AM

I was really surprised I got approved for visits so easily, I wrote on the form I met him through a pen-pal site. I believe they make an exception if the person does not receive many visits. Also I guess it varies from prison to prison what they allow. I can understand the concern over allowing MWI visitors but if it's an established healthy correspondence I think its beneficial.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Uh, no, that's not it at all. Federal facilities do not normally approve MWI for visit lists. According to Federal policy, one must know the inmate before incarceration to be on their visit list.

Patch is totally right - being denied has absolutely nothing to do with the applicant and since I have been in federal prisons for women and seen 1st hand the cons and scams that are run to gain financial support I fully understand why the BoP chose to do things this way.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-23-2016)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:22 PM

I met my MWI in April 2015 through a pen pal site. He is in Mt. Olive CC in WV. He has had not 1 single visit in over 5 years. His parent's have passed and he has nobody else. We talk all the time, write and send pictures constantly. I have been denied visitation twice only because we did not know eachother prior to his incarceration. I spoke to someone on the phone...I believe it was the Warden's secretary and she said my background is spotless...its only because of not knowing him before his incarceration. How do they expect to rehabilitate these men without a visit from someone who loves them in over 5 years?! I ended up sending a letter to the Commissioner in Charleston, so hopefully I hear some good news.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,509 Times in 11,930 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. It depends on the warden, but some folks who had the same reasons for visitation denial as you do were able to be approved for a one time "special" visit. A few were eventually allowed on their regular visiting list too. It is a process.

A big consideration seems to be if the inmate receives other visits, or not, so be sure to point it out if he doesn't.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet_ View Post
WOW, that was a good happy ending for you then! <3 It's quite impressive how those facilities don't have the same rules....:/
No, they all have the same rule when it comes to this, it's just that some councilors either don't care or don't know. If the visitation list is not done correctly, it can cause issues in the future when a new Warden comes in or if the inmate transfers to another prison.

My husband and I didn't know each other before his incarceration. I'm from Europe and we met through a pen pal ad. My visitation application was denied, my then boyfriend spoke to his Unit Manager who said we would never be allowed to meet... I then wrote the Warden, pointing out what a positive influence I was and my husband's lack of visits. The Warden approved me for a special visit, two months later he approved me for another special visit and after that, I was put on my husband's visitation list. We have now been together for six and a half years and married for four. More importantly, my husband has been transferred three times and we have not had any issues with me being on his visitation list. So don't give up, it is possible to be permanently put on someone's visitation list even though you didn't know each other prior to incarceration.
04/05/2016 I immigrated to the US
10/27/2016 My husband received Presidential clemency

The Following User Says Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
David (03-15-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I certainly hope that isn't the news we get, but now might a good time to remind everyone that everything on this site is considered public record. Facility staff are well aware of PTO and are free to monitor it at will and trust me (no really, trust me) they do.

What appears anonymous is usually much less so than we think.
Oh yes, they sure do. When I visited my then boyfriend for the first time, the CO told me that he knew I already knew all the visitation rules so he was just gonna go over them really quickly. I asked him what he meant and he said they saw me asking about visitation on PTO.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
communicator (10-24-2017), fbopnomore (03-03-2017), Minor activist (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:55 AM

Thanked 1,455 Times in 798 Posts

What counts in the BoP's eyes as knowing someone before incarceration?

I'm thinking of a pen pal I started corresponding with on here before her sentence began.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:03 PM

i am hoping for input on the letter i am sending with my visitation form. should i include it or just wait until i am denied and then appeal and send the letter then? i thought maybe it would help to be preemptive...

Dear Sir:

Enclosed please find my visitor information form. I am sending it in order to be put on the approved visitor list for xxx. I am aware that the Bureau of Prisons requires that visitors have an established relationship with the inmate prior to his incarceration in order to be approved for visitation. Since xxx and I were not friends prior to his incarceration, I am also sending this letter asking that you consider my request due to extenuating circumstances.

While xxx and I were not friends prior to his incarceration, our families have known one another for many years as my father and stepmother lived in the same area as xxx’s mother until my father’s death nine or so years ago. When I needed to move a few months ago due to a divorce, xxx’s mother, yyy, offered to let me stay with her until I was on my feet, and I have lived with her for the past four months. The situation has worked well as Ms. yyy is disabled and on a very limited fixed income which I have been able to supplement somewhat with the money I pay her for bills and rent. Her limited income and poor health, however, are the very factors that keep Ms. yyy from being able to visit her son. Since his incarceration nine years ago, xxx has had very few opportunities for visitors. I am hoping to rectify that by driving Ms. yyy to state this spring to visit him. As he and I have become friends over the last four months, I would like to be able to be included in the visit as well.

According to the research I have done, support, including visits, from family and loved ones is one of the most important factors in preventing recidivism. While xxx is highly unlikely to recidivate, I cannot help but feel that receiving a visit from his mother and me would do much to keep him mentally healthy as well as help his progress in the zzz program.

I appreciate your consideration and hope you will approve my request to visit xxx. Please feel free to contact me at 111 if you have any questions or need any further information.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbigdogs View Post
i am hoping for input on the letter i am sending with my visitation form. should i include it or just wait until i am denied and then appeal and send the letter then? i thought maybe it would help to be preemptive...

Dear Sir:

Enclosed please find my visitor information form. I am sending it in order to be put on the approved visitor list for xxx. I am aware that the Bureau of Prisons requires that visitors have an established relationship with the inmate prior to his incarceration in order to be approved for visitation. Since xxx and I were not friends prior to his incarceration, I am also sending this letter asking that you consider my request due to extenuating circumstances.

While xxx and I were not friends prior to his incarceration, our families have known one another for many years as my father and stepmother lived in the same area as xxx’s mother until my father’s death nine or so years ago. When I needed to move a few months ago due to a divorce, xxx’s mother, yyy, offered to let me stay with her until I was on my feet, and I have lived with her for the past four months. The situation has worked well as Ms. yyy is disabled and on a very limited fixed income which I have been able to supplement somewhat with the money I pay her for bills and rent. Her limited income and poor health, however, are the very factors that keep Ms. yyy from being able to visit her son. Since his incarceration nine years ago, xxx has had very few opportunities for visitors. I am hoping to rectify that by driving Ms. yyy to state this spring to visit him. As he and I have become friends over the last four months, I would like to be able to be included in the visit as well.

According to the research I have done, support, including visits, from family and loved ones is one of the most important factors in preventing recidivism. While xxx is highly unlikely to recidivate, I cannot help but feel that receiving a visit from his mother and me would do much to keep him mentally healthy as well as help his progress in the zzz program.

I appreciate your consideration and hope you will approve my request to visit xxx. Please feel free to contact me at 111 if you have any questions or need any further information.
I would wait. You don't know if you're gonna be denied or not. Some people do get lucky and get approved straight away despite not knowing each other prior to incarceration.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 PM
PRAY HARD

Default Update

As of 6/16/17, I have been approved to visit my fiancé, in a federal prison, despite not having known her prior to her incarceration! Our first visit is scheduled for 7/1/17. It has been a long, difficult road, but when you truly love someone, you will go to any lengths for them, and never give up: even when it seems impossible. I want to thank all of you on PTO for your support, and suggestions. To those few who sent less than supportive PM's, all I have to say is that not everything is as black and white as it seems; there are exceptions and loopholes in all rules, laws, and policies. You can't achieve anything if you give up before you even try. There is always hope - ALWAYS!

Jah bless!
fbopnomore (06-19-2017), His_Queen13 (06-22-2017), K6770 (06-19-2017), lolo21216 (06-20-2017), Lovebirds (07-02-2017), Tiffmm24 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Congratulations on being approved to visit her. Bop wardens are very different from each other, so things like visitation, inmate furloughs, prison transfers, etc. definitely depend on the actual warden who is deciding each issue.

It's similar to finding a job after prison, the only way to guarantee failure is to stop trying.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:01 PM

Default MWI

I meant my boyfriend (husband) he is in a federal institution I have put in to go visit him and they tell me I have not been approved because we never meant before he went in does anybody have any suggestions on how I can go see my man ?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

You first need to apply to be approved as a visitor. If you are denied, you can appeal to the warden.

Some folks who have been initially denied were able to eventually be approved, although it might have to begin with a "special visit" instead of you being added to his visitor's list.

Ask your fiancé about his counselor's procedure for adding a new visitor,
Old 09-23-2017, 08:33 PM

Default Denied Visitation

Hello I was recently denied visitation at a USP federal prison for not knowing the inmate before incarceration. Now he's being transferred to another prison. Will my chances be better with getting approved since he's being sent to a FCI since its lower security?

Last edited by cmilly91; 09-23-2017 at 08:53 PM..
Old 09-23-2017, 10:34 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,396 Times in 6,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmilly91 View Post
Hello I was recently denied visitation at a USP federal prison for not knowing the inmate before incarceration. Now he's being transferred to another prison. Will my chances be better with getting approved since he's being sent to a FCI since its lower security?
I've moved your post to this thread that deals with denials of this nature. As you can see, it's a common one. :/ I'm not sure security level affects anything as it's a FBOP policy. But maybe others can comment more specifically on that. Sorry this has happened and best of luck.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmilly91 View Post
I was approved to visit my MWI while he was at USP Canaan, but then he transferred to another USP and now I'm not approved to visit. So it really varies from prison to prison, wardens do things differently, so hopefully since your MWI is moving to a lower security your chances of being approved will increase, either way there is no harm in applying to visit and see what happens, wishing you the best of luck!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lolo21216 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-24-2017), miamac (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I have read that an inmate's total visitors can make a difference when appealing a visitation list denial to the warden. If there are no others, be sure to include that in your appeal. Ask to be put on his regular visitor's list, or be granted a "special visit".
Old 09-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,614 Times in 4,042 Posts

The same visiting application questions apply at all FBOP locations. You are likely to be denied if you didn't know the inmate before incarceration. Although do seem to get approved sometimes so its not consistent.

I got approved through the appeal process I was granted a special visit and then put on his list. However when he moved location and his counsellor denied me despite the previous approval and no problems at visits.
It moved again and I was approved again.There is no telling but definately appeal the decison and ask for a special visit.If he has no other visitors mention that as it will help as others have said.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo21216 View Post
I was approved to visit my MWI while he was at USP Canaan, but then he transferred to another USP and now I'm not approved to visit. So it really varies from prison to prison, wardens do things differently, so hopefully since your MWI is moving to a lower security your chances of being approved will increase, either way there is no harm in applying to visit and see what happens, wishing you the best of luck!!
Yeah well hopefully at this new location I will be approved. I'll just send in a visitation form at see what happens, just crossing my fingers and hope for the best.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmilly91 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-24-2017), lolo21216 (09-24-2017), miamac (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I have read that an inmate's total visitors can make a difference when appealing a visitation list denial to the warden. If there are no others, be sure to include that in your appeal. Ask to be put on his regular visitor's list, or be granted a "special visit".
Okay I will try that if I get denied, thanks so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmilly91 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
The same visiting application questions apply at all FBOP locations. You are likely to be denied if you didn't know the inmate before incarceration. Although do seem to get approved sometimes so its not consistent.

I got approved through the appeal process I was granted a special visit and then put on his list. However when he moved location and his counsellor denied me despite the previous approval and no problems at visits.
It moved again and I was approved again.There is no telling but definately appeal the decison and ask for a special visit.If he has no other visitors mention that as it will help as others have said.
Okay thanks so much for that information. I'll definitely try that and see what happens. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to cmilly91 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-24-2017)