Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Domestic Violence
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Domestic Violence News and information relating to domestic violence in general. Please post here if you don't see a sub-forums that fits better.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,576 Times in 11,013 Posts

Good girl, kyi kyi! You're right, you don't ever, ever want to be her.
wickit (09-23-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2011, 03:10 PM

This hit close to home
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 AM

wow.
i have goosebumps.
!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Donation Award 

A lot of ickie memories came back, when I read that poem today. I remember my guy sending flowers to me at my work, so that everyone in the office would see what a 'great' guy he was -- little did they know what was going on behind the scenes. And who could I tell? Who's going to believe me? Funny how all the ladies at work came up to me and said, oh those are so pretty, you're so lucky to have him, blah blah blah. Looking back, I know now that he was trying to manipulate my friends and co-workers with these kinds of 'public' gestures. His public image really was very sparkly clean!

I had little self-esteem at that time. Now I don't fall for that kind of manipulation.

I hope the re-posting of this poem does save lives. Though I didn't get the crap kicked out of me, it was close enough, and there was more than enough verbal abuse. Wow, I'm so glad to free of that. That was a long time ago.

I am now in the driver's seat of my life. And I'm so thankful. I wish everyone good times, and great thoughts today.

got my toes in the sand and a drink (water) in my hand
The Following User Says Thank You to Survivor Cat For This Useful Post:
wickit (11-08-2011)
Old 03-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Why do men believe they can treat the woman who loves them as if they are just a plaything?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 PM
smile my LOVE..♥

wow this made me tear up i was once the victim of a very physically, mentally and emotionally abusive man..whom i married and gave birth to his child at the age of 16. He was 23. Much older than me and he saw how naive and immature I still was and he took advantage of that. he was so mean he was just a big bully and I stuck around because I believed he loved me and that he'd change but I was very wrong. I thank the good Lord for the courage n strength he gave me to finally take myself out of that situation.. a weight lifted off of my shoulders... and I felt whole again. I NEVER ONCE CALLED THE COPS & that was my biggest mistake. I spent 6 years with that man, he was the first man I ever loved, the father of my child but that in no way gave him ANY right to think he could control me forever. You know the weird part, I still wish him well just never again with me.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Default I know

My husband is in prison for killing his girlfriend 13 months after I left him. I testified against him last year. His thing was choking me....mean, mean, mean words he used to call me that I probably can't use here! GET OUT! I want to be a DV councelor but the girls that I come in contact with ever day are using the same excuses I used for not leaving their abusers!!!! Doesn't make me a very good councelor...does it? If I can't make them leave? Get out....I don't know more to say.................... It may not happen to you what happened to me but...but.....DON'T TAKE THAT CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLZ trust someone who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! My name is Jodell and Im a survivor!!!!! Can't use your real name here? I am...............................
The Following User Says Thank You to Jstarz For This Useful Post:
number8 (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Donation Award 

You Can help others by listening and understanding, but you can't Make them do anything. Keep in contact and be there for when they are ready. Please dont give up trying... you will make a difference, even if you dont realise it.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarz View Post
My husband is in prison for killing his girlfriend 13 months after I left him. I testified against him last year. His thing was choking me....mean, mean, mean words he used to call me that I probably can't use here! GET OUT! I want to be a DV councelor but the girls that I come in contact with ever day are using the same excuses I used for not leaving their abusers!!!! Doesn't make me a very good councelor...does it? If I can't make them leave? Get out....I don't know more to say.................... It may not happen to you what happened to me but...but.....DON'T TAKE THAT CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLZ trust someone who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! My name is Jodell and Im a survivor!!!!! Can't use your real name here? I am...............................
Jodell,

What a pretty name! Let me share a story with you. I have been in several shelters and finally broke my own Cycle of Violence. I became a battered women's counselor in one of the shelters I stayed at. No one was doing group sessions, so I did. I received a call @ the shelter out of the blue one day and a former shelter client told me, "Michele, I did what you taught us in group. It took me a little while, but I managed to make my Great Escape. I left my abuser and my kids and I are living on our own in our own apt. We couldn't be happier!"

You see, sweetie, I believe that God takes His strongest children and puts us thru sheer HELL so that we can turn around and help our weaker brothers and sisters down that very same rocky road. You would be amazed at how you can help sisters-in-crisis.

Michele (My real name, too)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,014 Times in 7,141 Posts

Please, Ladies, don't post in ways that might make others who either need to keep their names to themselves or simply choose privacy feel like they are somehow not as "real". There are a million reasons for not using your actual name on the internet and no one should feel challenged to reveal more of their identity than they want to reveal.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

I hate to say this but I don't like this poem. It's sad.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Donation Award 

It's supposed to be sad, it's supposed to be bloody well heartbreaking because it's meant to illustrate the devastation of domestic violence.

Speak your mind-

The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeau View Post
It's supposed to be sad, it's supposed to be bloody well heartbreaking because it's meant to illustrate the devastation of domestic violence.
I think it should have ended with her leaving him or her brother or father beating him up.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Donation Award 

But, too often, it ends just like the poem ends- sorry the realism is not to your liking and more beating rarely solves anything.

Speak your mind-

The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (12-22-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 679 Posts

I wholeheartedly agree with LaBeau. The poem is sad, but so is DV. When I first read it, I was in a DV shelter and it made me realize the hideousness of abuse.

Michele
LeBeau (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Yea Jose is coming home
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,116 Times in 419 Posts

This brought back some bad memorys. Thank the good lord im safe and with a good man. This should be share with everyone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missdebbie92025 For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (12-22-2012), LeBeau (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 PM

This poem reminds me of my aunt. Her 2 nd husband killed her and wrapped her in landscaping plastic and put her in the closet. She laid there for 20 days until we finally convinced the police that something was wrong. They entered her mobile home from the front window and found her in the closet. They located him hours later took him into custody and finally after 5 yrs of going to court they sentenced him to 60 yrs. He was 40 something when it happened so 60yrs is a lifetime. Please if anyone is getting abused get out before u end up like my aunt...

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misinhimevryday For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (12-22-2012), Momma Ann (12-22-2012)