Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Remembering Those That Passed While In Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Remembering Those That Passed While In Prison This forum is for all those - family, friends, spouses, wives, husbands, significant others, brothers, sisters, parents, and children - who lost a loved one or friend while incarcerated.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 AM

Default A Cure for Sorrow

Cure for Sorrow
Author: Brian Cavanaugh, T.O.R

There is an old Chinese tale about a woman whose only son died. In her grief, she went to the holy man and said, "What prayers, what magical incantations do you have to bring my son back to life?"

Instead of sending her away or reasoning with her, he said to her, "Fetch me a mustard seed from a home that has never known sorrow. We will use it to drive the sorrow out of your life." The woman went off at once in search of that magical mustard seed.

She came first to a splendid mansion, knocked at the door, and said, "I am looking for a home that has never known sorrow. Is this such a place? It is very important to me."

They told her, "You've certainly come to the wrong place," and began to describe all the tragic things that recently had befallen them.
The woman said to herself, "Who is better able to help these poor, unfortunate people that I, who have had misfortune of my my own?" She stayed to comfort them, then went on in search of a home that had never known sorrow. But wherever she turned, in hovels and in other places, she found one tale after another of sadness and misfortune. She became so involved in ministering to other people's grief that ultimately she forgot about her quest for the magical mustard seed, never realizing that it had, in fact, driven the sorrow out of her life.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2007, 05:23 PM

Thanked 1,060 Times in 510 Posts

Menia, that is such a beautiful story. When I first started coming to this site I was in such pain.

We are some of the lucky ones. My son suffered a severe head injury at the hand of another inmate but he survived and currently has some memory loss but I would classify is a fairly minimal loss (he remembers the important things but not what happened).

I wanted revenge or something ugly. A young man has admitted guilt and is due to be sentenced this week. His attorney ask for my permission for him to send me a letter. I gave permission and received a letter from him begging my forgiveness. The prosecuting attorney worked a plea agreement with him of do 15 years and he has 9 years of back up time they are talking of hitting him with, moving him to a higher level facility. He has done a year in seg locked down for 23 hours a day. He also can be rescheduled to a higher rated prison facility with more hard core inmates that he was with. A year ago that wasn't enough.

The young man in question is adamant that this was an accident and the state can't prove any different. I don't believe that, but I truly believe the consequences were not intended. I wrote to him and granted the forgiveness he begged for. There was no choice in that as the bible tells me to forgive. I also plan on being at the sentencing to beg for leniency from the judge and to ask this young man to view this as a chance to shape his life in a more productive manner. When I made that decision I was more at peace with myself.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. I intend to keep looking for that magical mustard see in various ways because it gives me comfort - much more than the hatred did.

Last edited by tigrldy; 09-11-2007 at 05:47 PM..
Old 09-11-2007, 07:26 PM

I think that was the right thing to do by forgiving him. I think you will be blessed for going to court to beg for leniency. Now that is a beautiful story. I wish more people would read this site especially what you did and plan on doing.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Donation Award 

Menia,
What a fabulous story. I hope you can get it stickied so that we can all find it when needed.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanked 1,060 Times in 510 Posts

Menia, it's a hard day. The judge listened to me in one respect and not on the other. The judge gave him 12 years but it can run concurrent and he can start working for good time so could be out in 8 years. I was hoping for better, but they were initially asking for 15 years with possibility of 9 yrs back up for his prior offense for a total of 24 yrs so I guess it could have been worse.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:45 PM

I will keep you all in my prayers. You can make it through this, just keep the faith. With Keith I always planned to do things for him to lift his spirits and in turn it lifted my spirits. Find you something will keep you busy.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:48 PM
In God's Time Not Ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrldy
Menia, it's a hard day. The judge listened to me in one respect and not on the other. The judge gave him 12 years but it can run concurrent and he can start working for good time so could be out in 8 years. I was hoping for better, but they were initially asking for 15 years with possibility of 9 yrs back up for his prior offense for a total of 24 yrs so I guess it could have been worse.
At least you tried and you feel better for doing so.

New Date 09/12/15