Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 07-21-2010, 04:52 AM

Smile Intro--HelloPitty182 from Montana

Hello all!
My name is Katie, I'm 23 and I'm born and raised in Montana. So is my boyfriend. On September 3, 2009 my life changed forever. I won't get into my story totally until after Thursday as that is my boyfriend's sentencing day...for conspiracy to distribute marijuana...
We have already gone through 10 months of this and fighting for our forfeited property back, or should I say his dads, mine, my roomates and actually some of our friends stuff, all taken that day. Well...the good news is that sometime next week (we hope) we get all that stuff back! (except a few things (one very ridiculous item not coming back ), another thing I will talk about in a few days.)

The only reason I'm posting this is because Thursday morning at 11am, I will go in the same federal court room that I saw a meth dealer get sentenced to 17 years in during a HS sociology class, and watch as my bf of six years life is put in the judges hands. I'm very scared and I hoped to come here for some advice and encouragement.

The good thing is that my bf has "rehabed" himself in an amazing way. He always was a good kid, no a great kid.
Everybody says that but my bf is somebody special. He is always the leader, the person that people gravitate to and hes just my special boy. (you would think he was my kid...lol)
He is (as am I) a business major and has done very well at school this last year, considering, and is currently in summer school also. Both of us have entered into drug treatment, a methadone clinic to be specific, as we had been into opiates of any kind for the last 5 years or so. You wouldn't know by looking at us... Some maybe critical of these programs but its allowed by his probation and it has greatly improved our lives and we have had all clean drug screens since, and he has too for probation UAs. That doesn't define us tho....so moving on.
He also has gotten many certifications in the last months. He has a Wilderness 1st Responder Cert., CPR Cert., Avalanche 1, Swift Water Rescue and River Guide Cert. He is currently at a job he LOVES guiding at the best river guide business in the area and recently helped save a woman's life on the river. To top it all off, his probation officers think hes a great kid. They both have said they hope he gets probation...which even threw his lawyer for a loop because he was going to ask for a year and day...now it will also include a "unless you give him probation"...which right now I would consider to be a miracle.
-Does anybody know if these things will matter that much?
At first he was looking at a 5 year mandatory minimum and up until a month ago, I thought he would still get around 3 years, but things have been looking up. The probation lady who had to gather info on him for his sentencing packet also has had good things to say...so right now, there is a lot of hope.
The other good thing (I hope) is that we were told he won't be arrested right away on Thursday, that he would have 2 weeks to report to prison, but then his actual PO said thats a load of bull and that he could have anywhere from 30-90 days and his lawyer will also ask for something along that lines so he can detox from our medicene. So that gives me hope that after Thursday, I will still be sleeping with my baby and our little baby pit bull (hence my name) for a little bit longer....a thing that when we were arrested, I actually thought would never happen again....

-Does anybody else know of getting time after sentencing before going to prison? I'm sure its for non-violents and low flight risk people....

All I know is that Thursday is a culmination of all we have been through together, I have been with him and lived with him for the last 6 years almost. ( i moved in after 2 weeks when I was 17...really dumb I know).
I'm sorry that I talk so much but I have what some would call a "gift of gab"...

I'm new here and I'm sure I will be around more often in the coming year or so...

My bf, if he gets prison, will most likely get sent to an out of state federal prison (most likely FCI Sheridan) so I don't know if I will get to visit him...and we've only been apart for a few days at a time...so I just came here to talk to people who I could relate to!!

Anyways, sorry to talk so much. I will tell the whole story after Thursday.
Most of all, please pray for Thursday to go well for us!!
Thanks to all!
KT
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Cactus
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,385 Times in 3,118 Posts

Katie, don't apologize! Katie, that's my daughters name, spelled the same way too! Hey, welcome to PTO. One of your questions; " Does anybody know if these things will matter that much?". I am going to answer yes, but it really depends on the Judge & prosecutor as well. Sounds like you both have a lot of positive things going for you and to me that's really encouraging! It looks like " The probation lady " who did the pre-sentencing investigation is on your side, so that's a very positive thing too. But there's no guarantees! I know, I don't mean to dampen your hopes, but we have to look at this seriously. There's an old saying around here; "think the worst, hope (pray) for the best". Listen, I'm really glad you found us. I'll post some PTO links that I believe will help the both of you. Please let us know how things turn out. And we'll assist you in any way that we can. Also, please take a serious look at our drug and alcohol forum. Feel free to get involved, ask candid drug/alcohol related questions and share whatever you are comfortable with on our public boards.
Hey, you're NOT alone, PTO is always here.
Here are a couple of links you can “click on” from the PTO Forums to help get you started; Forum Index, Montana, Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation (For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them).
I hope that helps and again, welcome!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,996 Times in 17,074 Posts

Its a shame he'll have to detox off the methadone.....that's a wonderful program. Hopefully he'll get probation and can continue with the methadone program and his education. Good luck to you both! Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Welcome to PTO!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Unhappy Didn't go so good....

Hey thanks everybody! And thanks for the great info Cactus! I appreciate the support! I've always found forums to have great people but so far I've only been on ones for video games I play, haha. But thanks much! (btw- I like your daughters name! hehe)
Sorry I havn't posted what happend yet because its still sinking in. I'm not sure if it is his lawyers fault for turning in his sentencing packet with our letters and everything only a week before but the judge didn't seem to care about his character, his rehabilitation or his accomplishments. This judge is known for thinking that weed is a gateway drug and because he is on methadone and the list of drugs he admitted trying in his lifetime, he believes he has major mental health issues, which other than addiction (which affects millions of people) hes a pretty damn stable and normal person.
Anyways, the judge went with what the prosecutor recommended (who used to work w/ his lawyer and actually regretted charging him b/c of the violation of our rights and the corruption within the drug task force and of the one witness that has gone on, I will tell the story somewhere else) which was 36 months. It was a downward mitigation from a 5 year mandatory min. b/c he has no priors and admission of guilt and all that. Even the prosecutor said it was a hard case for her because of his age and she even said she is bound by the fed gov. to recommend that sentence, which was at the lowest of the guidelines. His lawyer recommended a mixture of 4 mos. prison and 4 mos. house arrest with probation after...at first I thought he rec. a year and a day, which anything less than 2 years would have been a miracle to me.
The judge recommended him to the RDAP program so I hope he can get into that and get the max amount of time off for that but I still need to research it more and I'm sure people here can help with that. He also is allowed to self surrender so right now hes sitting upstairs napping w/ our baby puppy before he does his last week of homework online and has had a hard, hot 3 days of work on the river. I'm so glad he has that outlet right now. He will get a letter in the mail before Sept. 1st telling him when to be there and where hes going. So as of now he has about a month to tapper off and detox from methadone.
The judge is recommending the closest federal prison to us and thats FCI Sheridan, in Oregon. It sucks that he can't be closer but I think (I hope) it will be safer there for him than a state prison and there is a kid in our state prison who used to be one of our best friends who got wayyy too into drugs and one night smashed a railroad tie from our garden through our window, trying to rob us, and my bf chased after their car and reported the liscense plate to the police, sending this guy back to jail/prison so he probably wouldn't have been a good person to be around. Also, my best friend had lived in Portland a few years ago (thats where she was orig. from) and she visited her bf in Sheridan supposedly and he said it was pretty easy there and hes been in jail a lot so hopefully he would know.
His lawyer estimated that if he does get into the RDAP program, gets the max amt. of time off for it and gets his 54 days a year for good time, he could be out in as little as 18 months. Right now, I'm being pretty optimisic about it, I somehow have gotten really good at being that way, might change when hes actually gone, but my bf is really really pesimistic right now, he thinks he will be in there the whole 3 years, he won't ever finish college now (his dad works there so he gets 1/2 off tuition until hes 25 so that will be gone by that time and he can't get fed. aid), his friends will all be gone, his cat will die, his puppy will grow up and not remember him....the list goes on and on, which I'm sure is normal, but its really hard to give him a positive outlook.
We also went through an asset forfeiture case along with this because when they came to our house, they took anything expensive or shiny, even our new "shiny" $50 toaster oven. It even said "shiny" on the search warrant list....idiots....but anyways, because most of the property was "his fathers, mine, or somebody elses" we get everything back except his dads $5000 they took, my bf's two motorcycles, my laptop (we said it was his so we could get the important one back), and heres the clinker....the toaster oven!! His lawyer thinks they either took it or used it and thats why, but its just halarious. So I hope we can get all the back this week. We get our brand new Toyota Tacoma, dirtbikes, mountain bikes, computers, cameras, snowmobiles, his dads guns, IPods, plasma TV and a ton of other random things they took back so hopefully he will get to be here when it all comes back. I at least want him to see one victory.
Anyways, I'm going to quit rambling. I'm going to tell the whole story in another forum because it is pretty interesting the way it happened and the way the cops violated our rights and tried to steal our stuff for their own gain. His father is also in contact with the ACLU and a civil case might be pressed against them for the violation of our rights and a number of other problems within the dept. of our town.

So thanks to all for listening to my rambling. I will officially now be a more familiar face around here so I hope to get to know a lot of people and I'm looking forward to being able to relate to people who are going through the same things.

Thanks so much!
katie
Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Cactus
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,385 Times in 3,118 Posts

Hi Katie, there's a lot going on here and there's more to come? Ha! I see a lot of positive things happening, and I must admit that I'm relieved for the both of you. Is it perfect? No! But it could be a whole lot worse. I think the very BEST thing I see going on here is the support you and the rest of the family have for one another. Everyone is involved, that's a great and caring family in any terms. I've heard it been said; “The Nation as a whole...is only as strong as her family unity”. Those are powerful words! So much so that it implies that this entire Nation could actually fall as the result of division/discord and the erosion of our family connections and unity. As a Nation of families, I think it’s important we remember that! This could easily go "off topic", so I want to keep this note simple and on track. There are many other reasons to be thankful here, including getting that property back...they can keep that "shiny" $50 toaster oven... Bon Appétit, I say!
But more importantly is your husbands health & welfare. He will need to keep busy with programs/classes and do lots of reading and of course writing too! That really helped me pass the time quickly! In fact, he should make the time serve himself instead of him serving the time. He must do his own time, no one else's! In other words, stay away from trouble. All those things like lending/borrowing/gambling, etc. can end in serious conflict. And really, he doesn't want more time added to his sentence by picking-up another charge. Keeping himself focused is key. And you...yes you and the rest of the family too, Write!!! As often as you can, write about all those little day to days. Writing will help him stay connected and give him something important to focus on besides the politics behind that wall. And I will tell you from experience; there is nothing greater behind that wall then to hear ones own name called at mail-call! As you can see, writing is an important message for me to share. I cannot express enough about its importance. I wish you the best & at the risk of sounding redundant; I'm really glad you found us!
Here are a couple of more links you can “click on” from the PTO Forums; Forum Index, Federal Prison System, Federal Prison Info & Self Surrendering,
RDAP Facilities, FCI Sheridan (FBOP), For Family and Friends
Headed to Prison (Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support).

I hope that helps and again, welcome!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM

Welcome...I have found this site so helpful to me. I hope you find everything you are looking for here!