Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to the Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Alabama.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Closed

Question Will this be allowed? Can I send bookmark?

I hope that you all don't think that this is a silly question! Over the week-end, I spent some time browsing at a bookstore, and this ADORABLE and SWEET bookmark caught my eye! There is a picture of a cute and cuddly blue eyed kitten nesteled in a bed of pink roses on it, and it reads "You are loved, today and always". I couldn't resist getting it for my sweetie, and I was just wondering if they would let him have it or not?

I know how fussy they can be. It borders on ridiculous sometimes, in fact! It's as though they don't want the inmates to have even a moment of happiness!:shake:

I know it isn't much, but I REALLY wanted to get him something that had a little sentimental value, and I thought MAYBE I might be able to get away with this! I was even going to pen a nice message on the back! I mean, what's the worst that could happen right? They send it back?

I was just wondering whether or not any of you have ever tried to surprise your sweetie or your pen pal(who is locked down at "Holman") with a little something like this? Was it returned to you, or did they let it go? I also thought about getting him one of those mini books, with inspirational stories and quotes in them, but again I wasn't sure. It feels so awful not being able to get him something for Valentine's Day. He is always doing nice things for me, and he is SO romantic. I just want to be able to do something nice for HIM for a chance, you know?Thanks!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 AM

I do not think they will let him have it. They have been real picky lately.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Releaved

I don't see why they wouldn't let him have the book mark. They are allowed cards. But you know they change their minds and the rules every 30 minutes down there. When they first put my brother down there, his girlfriend put an extra envelope in with her letter so he could write her back. They threw it away and wouldn't give it to him, but they let mine go right through with no problems. It's just according to who is doing the mail that day and what kind of mood they are in. Lisa if it was me I would send the book mark. Like you said, the worst they could do is send it back.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Account Closed

Hey Lisa.... This is what i would do.. call down there.. and ask for the mail room.. they will put you right through ( i do it ALL the time LOL) when she answers, just tell her you have a question.. you'd like to send a "book marker" tell her what its made of .. if theres a string on it or not.. and ask if they will let him have it.. she will tell you NO.. or YES... that way you will know.. adn he wont get a rejection form. and IF they say no( cuz they ARE being VERY picky right now).. then.. take the book marker.. and get a COLOR copy made of it.. cut it out.. and send THAT... it's the thought that counts... and still he will be getting the "gift" ya know? and as far as the mini books for V day...<shaken head> thats a Big no... he wont be able to get it.. even tho it's just someone thinking of him and wanten to send a lil something.. and heres the Number down ther if you need it... (251) 368-8173. Hope yall have a good( as good as it can be ) V-day!
*Bama*
Old 02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Friend of a "lifer"

They should let him have it, but they wont. They are assholes.What is he going to do, dig his way out of prison with a bookmark? Its bullshit.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Closed

Sis1980:

I can not understand for the life of me(maybe it's just me! LOL) WHY in the HELL they wouldn't allow your brother's girlfried to include an extra envelope? I mean, there are some inmate's(not saying that your brother is one of them) that can NOT afford the cost of stationary, envelopes, stamps etc. These men have lost so much already, why take away the ONE thing that they have left to look forward to? It just seems so cruel to me.:shake:

It does seem that it depends on who happens to be staffing the mail room on that particular day, and what sort of mood he/she is in. I wonder too whether or not it may have something to do with how well-liked the recepient is by prison staff? I KNOW that it is NOT supossed to factor into the eqaution, but if we are realistic we KNOW that it does.

Michelle:

That is good advice, but it would be a long distance call for me. SO, I think I will just take a chance. I am planning a visit with him in April, so I don't have the extra money unfortunately. I LOVE your idea about making him a color copy, if the asshole's won't allow him to have it! Why didn't I think of that? I will do that! Although I will HOPE that they will make an exception.

CrystalMarie:

Some of their rules DO seem silly, but when I complain about them, people usually DEFEND the warden and prison staff, and argue that even though the rules may SEEM uncalled for and unfair, there REALLY IS a good reason for them. Yeah right!

What harm can a fricken bookmark do? Or even a book for that matter? It astounds me that they would want to discourage the inmates from picking up a book. Talk about screwed up huh? I just feel bad for the guys at Holman, who have no other choice but to put up with this nonsense. I mean, it is hard on the people that love them, but it is even harder on THEM I'm sure! Anyhow, thank you all for the great advice and creative suggestions! Much appreciated!

Lisa
Old 02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Releaved

Lisa

When my brother's girlfriend called down there the woman told her to send an extra envelope. But they threw hers away and gave him mine. I thought it was funny as hell cause it made her so mad. She's a bit** anyway. Oh well he gets out next month. I can't wait.