Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 AM

I also want to mention that if we are all reporting the same the same information in our complaints and asking for an investigation it will pull more weight. I have reported all the above stated complaints about the 200 men to a room, food and water rations, issues with mail not being sent or received and also I reported that last month the inmates had all citrus removed from the menu indefinately and had the weight pile taken from them as a punishment for a handful of inmates actions (I was told they were making hooch...). Group punishment are not allowed, largely because it creats an environment prone to rioting... go figure! I am praying here in Denver that enough of us will demand an investigation. We are the only ones who can make this happen!
The Following User Says Thank You to jejjohns For This Useful Post:
JillSmith10 (08-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejjohns View Post
I also want to mention that if we are all reporting the same the same information in our complaints and asking for an investigation it will pull more weight. I have reported all the above stated complaints about the 200 men to a room, food and water rations, issues with mail not being sent or received and also I reported that last month the inmates had all citrus removed from the menu indefinately and had the weight pile taken from them as a punishment for a handful of inmates actions (I was told they were making hooch...). Group punishment are not allowed, largely because it creats an environment prone to rioting... go figure! I am praying here in Denver that enough of us will demand an investigation. We are the only ones who can make this happen!
My letters will be emailed today!! Thanks for the information!
The Following User Says Thank You to JillSmith10 For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM

Does anyone know what the capacity of FCI Big Spring is suppose to be? This weeks population is 1526. I was thinking that it was suppose to be around 900.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillSmith10 View Post
Does anyone know what the capacity of FCI Big Spring is suppose to be? This weeks population is 1526. I was thinking that it was suppose to be around 900.
I believe it is closer to 1100 or 1200. If that population count is correct, it seems like they have already been moving people. A month ago it was almost 1800.

**editing my reply** I think I may have gotten that 1800 number wrong... I think I was totalling the camp and the prison... sorry if I mis-spoke. I'm pretty sure though that it is a safe bet that what ever the count is right now, it is near to the average 40% over capacity.

Last edited by jejjohns; 08-18-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejjohns View Post
I believe it is closer to 1100 or 1200. If that population count is correct, it seems like they have already been moving people. A month ago it was almost 1800.

**editing my reply** I think I may have gotten that 1800 number wrong... I think I was totalling the camp and the prison... sorry if I mis-spoke. I'm pretty sure though that it is a safe bet that what ever the count is right now, it is near to the average 40% over capacity.
I wasn't questioning your numbers. I had someone cop an attitude when I told them that BS was suppose to house 900 inmates and it was around 1600. From information I got from someone doing a research paper, but still no real numbers for what capacity is suppose to be, it looks like they should house 915 inmates and as of Thursday they were at 1526, which puts it at at 70% overcapacity. On July 11th there were 1585 inmates.

Last edited by JillSmith10; 08-18-2013 at 03:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JillSmith10 For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:25 PM

It may also be helpful to anonymously call the local news station CBS7, who initially reported on what they were told was a "minor incident" on Aug 7th. They have also consistently reported on issues/riots in this prison in recent years. If the news or the public are asking questions, Big Spring may be compelled to at the very least re-instate HUMANE conditions (appropriate water, food, hygiene, etc).
The Following User Says Thank You to Prays4Hope For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prays4Hope View Post
It may also be helpful to anonymously call the local news station CBS7, who initially reported on what they were told was a "minor incident" on Aug 7th. They have also consistently reported on issues/riots in this prison in recent years. If the news or the public are asking questions, Big Spring may be compelled to at the very least re-instate HUMANE conditions (appropriate water, food, hygiene, etc).
I was actually just thinking about doing that. It has been in the high 90's and 100's and these men aren't getting enough water to drink. I've been so angry I'm trying to think and re-think my actions because I want my complaints to be taken seriously. I think I will call them though. I will put the phone number up here in just a minute if anyone else wants to call.
Prays4Hope (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 PM

CBS 7 for Big Spring TX 432-580-6397

The reporter to ask for is Andrew Boven. He covers Big Spring TX stories.

Last edited by jejjohns; 08-18-2013 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: update
Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM

I just called cbs7 in texas and they saud they would b doing a story about conditions tomorrow night. I hope they do.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbthesame View Post
I just called cbs7 in texas and they saud they would b doing a story about conditions tomorrow night. I hope they do.
Yes, he will be
Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejjohns
They won't let me post the actual link but you can go to - house.gov /representatives /find - this will help you find the rep for your district.

It looks like PA has 12 so you will need to search to see what district you are in and then contact that office. The representatives have aide that usually handle these types of call and they are really the ones you need to speak with. Ask for the person who handles issues with the federal prison system and go from there.
Got it thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM

One last note to anyone who is sending letters; first of all, thank you. I believe we can make a difference here and do something about this. Second, I want to encourage you to follow up with phone calls tomorrow. Far too many of our legislators have a false belief that things like this only happen in the movies so some people may not feel the same sense of urgency we are feeling. Tomorrow's high temp for big spring is supposed to be 100 degrees. If they are not getting enough water to drink this is a life threatening situation for every inmate in there. Thanks to you all for taking action. Have a good week
Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 PM

I am also filing a complaint with the ACLU of Texas
The Following User Says Thank You to neverbthesame For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-19-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 10:19 PM

Another thing about the Big Spring area. This is in the local news tonight.

FROM THE CITY OF BIG SPRING: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 9:00 p.m. through Friday, August 23, 2013, at 9:00 a.m.

In order for the City of Big Spring to perform essential upgrades to the Water Treatment Plant we will perform a 36-hour shut down on water treatment services. To ensure that there is sufficient water for basic living necessities the City Manager will temporarily ban all non-essential water uses beginning Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 9:00 p.m. Outside watering, washing vehicles, filling of swimming pools, flushing water lines, wetting ground for construction, or any other non-essential uses of water will be strictly prohibited.

The area here is HOT, it is DRY, and the weather has been awful the last few weeks and August is the worst month of the year.

Last edited by MiniMoose; 08-19-2013 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Edited for fair use. Added link to local news station.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmcj For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 AM

My email has been sent to my representative.
The Following User Says Thank You to blaccwife For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM

I was just informed that cbs 7 is waiting on a response from the prison and won't be airing the story until later in the week
Prays4Hope (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Iowa senator Tom Harkins office gas sent an inquiry on the overall cindutions that were mentioned here. They are hoping for an informal answer soon. But I may have to send a formal inquiry. Ill keep you posted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JillSmith10 For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-19-2013), Prays4Hope (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 AM

A friend of mine just called and spoke with jeff keller's office who is the regional director for the south central region for the federal bop. She was assured that the information being circulated about the conditions at fci big spring is not true but promised to look into it further. I certainly hope that the conditions are not as previously posted. How can we b sure when most if us are not hearing from loved ones inside. The only letter i received was dated the morning after the riot. Here is the phone number for kellers office 972 730 8800
The Following User Says Thank You to neverbthesame For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM

I have gotten TWO letters from my husband the conditions of food and water ARE true. That is utter BS saying that we and our loved ones are lying.

Sorry that pisses me off to hear they said that when it isn't just ONE person writing out about the SAME crap going on. I don't know you all but yet your loved ones report the same conditions???
jejjohns (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 PM

My loved one is also reporting the same conditions, that he can't even stretch out his arms in his bunk with out touching another inmate and that on Saturday and Sunday they only receive one meal, "brunch" a sandwich and a piece of fruit. Apparently, if any of the inmates complain they will be punished.

I called and spoke with someone from the BOP and he said that it was untrue about the water rationing and that they fill coolers with bottles of water and refill them when they are empty. He confirmed that they do not get hot meals during lock down and lunch is usually a "brown bag". I also inquired as to why no one would pick up the phone and he said he would look into that. I also questioned why Big Spring FCI has offered no updates since 8/11, and he said they have been doing "press releases". I haven't seen anything. This all just seems very bizarre to me and stories are not lining up.
The Following User Says Thank You to RB1202 For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 PM

NOTHING is lining up.
They are trying to sweep this mess under the rug and we can ALL see it. I mean they told CBS 7 that NO injuries were reported and it was swiftly contained. From the reports I have heard it was a HUGE riot and they had on full tactical gear, tear gas, and shotgun bean bags. That is NOT a small fight.

MORE than one person has mentioned that they are only getting so much water every 4-6 hours. MORE than one person has mentioned they are NOT getting hot food (Isn't there a policy they should get a hot meal after 5 days??). MORE than one person has mentioned that they are not getting to utilize laundry services, commissary, and TP.

So I believe the many guys that are writing out to loved ones NOT the BOP.
jejjohns (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM

Contact News west 9 they also ran a SMALL report about the riot initially.
Newsroom Phone: (432) 567-9991

Or KMID.
(432) 563-2222
(432) 563-5819 (f)

These are the two other news stations in the area.

Also the Odessa American is the local paper to Odessa and Midlands paper is The Reporter Telegram.

Last edited by mmcj; 08-19-2013 at 02:56 PM..
jejjohns (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts

Just FYI - Being locked down, the mail is processed slower as they often want to review outgoing letters for information about the incident which led to the lockdown. Also, what is listed as food being provided during the lockdown is very typical for a lockdown as the kitchen staffing is minimal with the inmates who worked in the kitchen now on lockdown and either staff or campers (if there is a camp next door) doing the work making sack meals which are distributed to inmates in their housing areas.

The rest of the conditions - such as water rationing - is unusual. Just want folks to be aware of what to focus on when you do your complaints.

As for capacity, the original FCI facility was designed for 891 inmates. However, the BOP does various add-ons or renovations and has a rated "designation capacity" for inmates of that security level in the facility. For Big Spring FCI in 2009, the "designated capacity" was 1526. Citing capacity issues is a very tricky thing as there are multiple measurements which the BOP can manipulate to its own ends. On August 8, 2013, the population at Big Spring FCI was 1568.

Last edited by Zelda50; 08-19-2013 at 04:39 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-19-2013), JillSmith10 (08-19-2013), oregonmelissa (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 06:50 PM

It WILL be on Newswest 9 at 10!!!

Thank you to all that have called in and reported!! Here is their little blurb from their facebook page!

The Federal Correctional Institute in Big Spring has been on lockdown for nearly two weeks. The staff won't tell us what's going on, but now we have some word directly from the inside! Find out what multiple inmates say is happening tonight at 10!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmcj For This Useful Post:
jejjohns (08-19-2013), JillSmith10 (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Believe in your heart

Post Big Springs, TX?? locked down?

Hi everyone, my brother is currently in Big Spring, Tx and just got a letter from him today that they are in some kind of a lock down that isnt good. Is anyone else's loved ones there? Apparently the blacks and the mexicans have been going at it and they've been separated at the moment but my brother has heard that if the warden there let everyone roam free that the mexicans plan on making sure that (in there words) there will be blood baths and I really dont like the sound of that at all. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Any info would be great.

Thanks!!