Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Cavalcorp, Raleigh, NC

My husband will be leaving Beckley FCI in 12 more days! He will be going to the Cavalcorp Halfway House in Raleigh, NC. Does anyone have any information on this facility? ie, Rules, what he can have, visitation, etc? Will he be allowed to have one of my debit or credit cards to use? How much cash can he have? What about phone calls and transportation? Any information would be helpful. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2006, 05:03 AM

Smile Cavalcorp LTD - Raleigh

Hello

My husband is currently at Cavalcorp. A recent arrival as well.

In response to your message
My husband will be leaving Beckley FCI in 12 more days! He will be going to the Cavalcorp Halfway House in Raleigh, NC. Does anyone have any information on this facility? ie, Rules, what he can have, visitation, etc? Will he be allowed to have one of my debit or credit cards to use? How much cash can he have? What about phone calls and transportation? Any information would be helpful. Thanks

What I have observed is visitation is on the week-end only.
Saturday and Sunday from 1pm to 9pm.
Upon arrival he should get the opportunity to go off-site to purchase
personal hygeine items and any other personal things - ie., clothes he may need.

Not sure of what your list of what he can have is - still remember pretty much - it's the same as when he was in prison - they check items being brought to the inmates and if there is something in question they will hold it or send it back to the sender.

A part of the requirement is to find work in the local area.

To answer - Will he be allowed to have one of my debit or credit cards to use? How much cash can he have?

I have not heard that a credit card or debit card is not permissible.
From what I have observed he probably can - Though wise - your call.
I just had this discussion just a day or so ago. He said he didn't want
to have a lot of cash on him nor a credit card there. Since he's not the only one who has access to his locker.

You guys know how you flow/ operate - if it works for the two of you
then discuss it and agree. If you need to make adjustments along the way
don't hesitate to do so.

In response to - What about phone calls and transportation? Any information would be helpful. Thanks

The bus line is accessible. Haven't seen a van or anything like that - that would take them to places they need to go.

The phone calls - there are 3 pay phones there. Cells phones "THEY SAY" are not permitted - but I see them being used all the time by inmates.
So they have their own code of conduct (they're own understanding there about that.)

Let me offer the following numbers:

What shocked me and really surprised me - was the fact that female inmates are housed in the same facility. Didn't know that. Had no clue.
But they are and they do. Just an FYI.

Hope this helps you - Be at peace.
Our Spirit requires it - a place of peace to be at peace.
The journey continues - everyday.
God Bless You and Yours
Old 03-16-2008, 03:29 PM

I was there 7 or 8 years ago and I met a man who hypnotised me to quit smoking. Any how I am trying to remember his last name. I was hopeing that you could help me. Is mr. Cavalaro still the boss there? Well anyone that worked there for a long time may remember him and know the spelling. I would love to see how he is doing. Well if you deceide to help his name is Bill Runnels or something close to that last name. He was on the FBI's most wanted and got caught by someone seeing his picture in the post office, some white collar crime. His wife was in Prison with me @ FCI talahasse. Thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Info about Cavalcorp Raleigh from first person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviankay View Post
I went to Cavalcorp from a Minimum security prison. I KNOW that this is water over the dam information for you right now, but will hopefully help some in the future! I was told that I would spend 14 days there (minimum) and that I needed a phone at the house for them to make sure that I WAS home when I was supposed to be home. I was reluctant to go, but was glad I went.

This IS a co-ed facility....but the women have their own tv room and dorm...and men are chased back inside (depending on staff) when the women go outside to smoke. THERE IS NO INTERACTION BETWEEN MALE AND FEMALE RESIDENTS THERE!!

They do not offer soap or shampoo, but do give you sheets, a pillow, blanket, washcloth and towel....and give you a generous amount of laundry soap on sundays. If you need some before then, bring it. The washing machines are free. There is one tv and you DO NOT need your radio for it like at institutions. There are plates styrofoam cups and plasticware, so unless you want a sturdy plate or rigid cup and plasticware, it's not necessary to bring flatware or plates into there.

The mattresses are WORSE than in the institutions, but you may bring in a comforter (from home if you bring it with you upon your first day...or with a recipt if bought after....Walmart has really nice ones for $22 just down Hwy 70 going towards clayton/smithfield). I triple folded the comforter and slept on it to augment the pathetic mattress. You may have clothes there and they really don't check the quantities as long as you don't have a whole locker of clothes. You MAY NOT have cellphones there (but they're there). You MAY have a debit/bank/pre-paid credit card and cash. You MAY have keys with you and they will easily approve you to drive as long as you're on the insurance of the vehicle, have a valid license and (if the vehicle is not yours) have a letter from the registered owner of the vehicle giving you permission to drive said vehicle. My wife bought a new car while I was away, and all she did was write out a letter with the vin #, tag# and all and signed it and they accepted that.

As I stated, I was told to expect to be there for 14 days.......72 hours after I arrived, the director came up to me and told me I could go home!! We didn't have the phone turned on at our place yet (due to tight finances)...but depending on the institution you come from and your relationship with your Probation Officer prior to sentencing (if you were on home confinement), the 14 day rule is VERY flexible. If a person has a public safety factor (guns or violence....a gun charge, not a gun enhancement), TURN DOWN THE Halfway house unless you want to sit around the halfwayhouse until your end of sentence date. I saw two men that got there and had to wait until their probation started to leave.

The staff is very cordial and efficient. The food is a lot better than institution food, but still isn't as good as home or restaurant cooking. You are allowed ONE 6" by 6" by 12" clear container, a 6 QT container (looks like a plastic shoebox) that is used for your food. The size is specific due to how the cooler is set up in the kitchen.

Phones are usually tied up by other non-courteous residents, but if outside people call into the phones, it only costs 25 cents for a 15 minute local call (we live in Raleigh, so it was that)....I think non-local calls run 50 cents for 10 minutes, which is still better than the 3.63 from the institution.

They are very liberal with passes once you get there for going job searching, going to religious services, going for tobacco products, going for hygiene. I even saw them sign a pass so a guy could walk to a bank to get rolls of quarters. There is a vending machine and soda machine there, but they only have chips and candy in it.

I can answer any future questions anyone may have @ Personal contact information removed per PTO policy. Please contact member via PM.

I hope this helps someone relieve some stress about Cavalcorp in the future!

Greg

Last edited by MiniMoose; 11-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Removed personal contact information per PTO policy.