Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,187 Times in 2,274 Posts
Default Is there real hope for prison reform?

Is there real hope for prison reform? Nonviolent offenders and the “Kim Kardashian moment”

"When Kim Kardashian went to the White House in May to advocate for prison reform and clemency, it was the first time many of us had heard of Alice Marie Johnson. In the early '90s, after she'd lost her job with FedEx, the Alabama grandmother became involved in a local drug trafficking operation. She maintains she only handled coded messages via phone and never handled drugs directly. For doing that, she had been serving a life sentence. But Johnson, who is now a free woman, had long been on Amy Povah's radar. Like Johnson, Povah had lost years of her life to the punitive war on drugs.

Back in the late '80s, a few years into her marriage to her now ex-husband, Povah discovered that he had been involved in an international ecstasy business. He asked her to handle some "financial matters" for him while he was dealing with some legal wrangling. At her trial, there was no evidence she'd sold drugs or been directly involved with the dealers. The ex eventually served four years in prison. For conspiracy, Amy was sentenced to 24.

"As is so often the case with conspiracy laws," she now says, "you can just be one spoke in the wheel and no clue what your network is." And you can wind up incarcerated indefinitely."

https://www.salon.com/2018/06/29/is-...ashian-moment/
fbopnomore (07-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2018, 08:15 PM

Thanked 1,347 Times in 741 Posts

There's bipartisan pressure for reform now. On the conservative side, the Kochs have been pushing for change. With actual legislation getting out of committee I'd say there is small but realistic hope.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
There's bipartisan pressure for reform now. On the conservative side, the Kochs have been pushing for change. With actual legislation getting out of committee I'd say there is small but realistic hope.
You'd hope something will change, except you have Sessions who wants the stiffest penalties.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,847 Times in 7,028 Posts

Personally I think as long as prison continues to be "big business" we will not have a chance at real reform.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-05-2018), dtmom2013 (07-02-2018), fbopnomore (07-02-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
Personally I think as long as prison continues to be "big business" we will not have a chance at real reform.
Big business is an understatement. Did you see the movie on CNN last night "American Jail". It was mainly geared toward poor minorities in prisons, but also talked about how much money other industries make due to the prison population and how prisoners are basically slaves because of what the governments pay them and in some states, they get paid $0 so they are indeed slaves. Sick.

It's not even the private prisons that are making the bulk of the money either, it's everything else. Food, equipment, furniture, etc.

Also, and I didn't know this, some prisons make things for some public corporations. I have no idea how that is legal. Like Starbucks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-05-2018), dtmom2013 (07-02-2018), LifeTraveler (07-04-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Sessions on one side, Kushner on the other. It will be interesting.
dtmom2013 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,743 Times in 10,749 Posts

Given the penchant for brutality on the Administration's part, and the fact that those very money-making entities are strong donators to that same administration, I doubt anything much will actually happen.
choclgs (07-05-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-03-2018), LifeTraveler (07-04-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:55 PM

Here’s a little more information about where reform efforts stand now.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opi...l-13053978.php

Quote:
Rumors have started circulating that some legislators are open to combining*FIRST STEP with the SRCA, creating a “best of both worlds” package that would both check the growth of mass incarceration and help people already behind bars.
One thing stands in the way: a cadre of far-right senators have refused to endorse even moderate sentencing reform. Chief among them: Republican Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., and Texas’ Cruz. Cruz was 1 of*just 5 votes*against Grassley’s bipartisan bill*this past February. He offered an amendment to gut the bill,*was voted down, and refused to support the final package.