Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Criminal Immigration Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Criminal Immigration Issues Dealing with INS and other related issues.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 8,681 Times in 3,691 Posts

I have to say very few things on TV move me to tears , but seeing a report on the Tender years secure facility in Texas for toddlers and babies made me cry. Taking away little ones from their parents and leaving them crying in cages. I am just beyond words...

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-21-2018), miamac (06-21-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Trump, lifting and waving his hands around - "I can't do anything; the Democrats wrote this law and Congress has to fix it" and then suddenly turns around and finds out that he can indeed fix it just as he has 'fixed' so many other things, with an Executive Order. Ignorant fool knew perfectly well, but was trying to get it off his desk and onto the useless Congress's. He knew what he was trying to do. Now he finally gets credit for a decent thing and he'll hate it.
His executive order doesn’t mean shit. He didn’t need to have this executive order. He only did it to try to save face. The problem is this zero tolerance policy he put in place. This man refuses to take responsibility and accountability for anything. He continues to point the finger at other parties when his damn administration is the cause of this chaos. My apologies for cursing. For those of you who claim immigrants are this and are that. Let me remind you the Native Americans had this land first. Remember the reason why these people came into this country. They want a better life for their families. The places they are from are dangerous. I can’t blame them for wanting a better life for their families. Think about what if YOU were in their position. You would want a better life too. Another thing. I wish this fool would stop referencing them as drug dealers. It’s insulting and racist. There’s drug dealers in the country of many ethnicities including Caucasian.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classygyrl10 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-21-2018), fbopnomore (06-21-2018), maytayah (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,623 Times in 14,596 Posts

I came across the following Rolling Stone article, penned by one on my favorite comedians (Trae Crowder). Warning: Language. Wonderful piece and a must read!

Are You Ready to Actually Think of the Children?
It's not just your children. It's not just white children. It's a question of how you see the world.

Like most people, I’ve been seeing a lot of disturbing videos and stories about the situation at our Southern border these past few weeks, in which thousands of children have been forcibly separated from their families for the crime of attempting to enter this country illegally. It’s a hot button issue, and one that has divided us as a country (and when we were living in such unprecedented harmony, too). There are a lot of talking points and statistics and arguments surrounding this, but ultimately it all comes down to those kids and how they’ve been treated as a result of policies put in place by the “party of family values.” And if you ask me, that’s a goddamn shame.

Read entire article HERE.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-22-2018), fbopnomore (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,743 Times in 10,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classygyrl10 View Post
His executive order doesn’t mean shit. He didn’t need to have this executive order. He only did it to try to save face. The problem is this zero tolerance policy he put in place. This man refuses to take responsibility and accountability for anything. He continues to point the finger at other parties when his damn administration is the cause of this chaos. My apologies for cursing. For those of you who claim immigrants are this and are that. Let me remind you the Native Americans had this land first. Remember the reason why these people came into this country. They want a better life for their families. The places they are from are dangerous. I can’t blame them for wanting a better life for their families. Think about what if YOU were in their position. You would want a better life too. Another thing. I wish this fool would stop referencing them as drug dealers. It’s insulting and racist. There’s drug dealers in the country of many ethnicities including Caucasian.
Oh, believe me, Im not crediting him with any benign intent...he was cornered, so he had an order drawn up that changes nothing, effectively. They get 20 days (maybe in an army barracks, yippee) and then it's back to the same old same old.

The hatefulness and sadism are almost mind-numbing. And yet, last month he withdrew protection for streams and small rivers and this week is offering up the large lakes and the ocean shoreline....it's malignity on a scale so pervasive and ugly that it's clear that nothing means anything at all to him if it doesn't have a dollar sign on it that he can wrangle a profit from. There's almost no difference in the crimes he's committing on the earth and on people, just meanness for its own sake.
choclgs (06-22-2018), Classygyrl10 (06-21-2018), fbopnomore (06-22-2018), patchouli (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 18,121 Times in 6,605 Posts

Prison operator shares rise on Trump immigration executive order

The executive order could increase the need for capacity at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) family detention centers, said Jamie Cuellar, co-portfolio manager of the Buffalo Small Cap Fund, which owns CoreCivic shares. That greater need could bring more business to both prison operators, which operate ICE family detention centers.
“This means another growth opportunity, more funding for more beds, and they’d provide programing they’d be offering to kids in detention and they’d get paid for it,” said Cuellar, who is based in Mission, Kansas.

[...]

“It’s important to note that, under long-standing policy, CoreCivic does not advocate for or against legislation or policies that determine the basis for or duration of an individual’s detention,” CoreCivic’s statement read. “We also do not enforce immigration laws or policies or have any say whatsoever in an individual’s deportation or release.”

GEO Group & Private Prisons Stand to Profit as Trump Pushes Indefinite Family Detention

The for-profit detention centers in South Texas, there’s one in Karnes that is operated by Geo Group and one in Dilley that is the nation’s largest immigration detention center at 2,400 beds, that is operated by CoreCivic, which was formerly known as Corrections Corporation of America. So these are the two largest for-profit prison corporations. Both of these companies are publicly traded and their stock soared yesterday, which I think gives you an indication of how investors are seeing this policy change as one that is going to benefit the private prison industry.
[...]the Flores settlement says that children cannot be detained in unlicensed and secure detention centers for more—in a prolonged manner. And so the courts have ruled that that means about 20 days. This is clearly a challenge to that settlement. About two years ago, or actually three years ago, the family detention centers went to the state of Texas and tried to apply for child care licenses in an attempt to essentially prolong the detention of immigrant children in these detention camps. We successfully fought back that effort in the courts. The state of Texas tried to rewrite the laws. Actually a private prison corporation, The Geo Group, brought a bill to the state legislature to change the way that licensing happens in Texas. That effort was beaten back in the state legislature.

They applied for a daycare license...

Last edited by miamac; 06-21-2018 at 11:35 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-22-2018), fbopnomore (06-22-2018), patchouli (06-22-2018), sidewalker (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:51 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,545 Times in 13,952 Posts

This whole thing makes me so sad.

And pissed off.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-22-2018), fbopnomore (06-22-2018), miamac (06-22-2018), patchouli (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:26 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
This whole thing makes me so sad.

And pissed off.
While there are marches for education and people protesting at the borders, I've seen it asked by citizens and foreigners alike-- why aren't we flooding the streets in protest against this administration? I think one of the reasons is outrage fatigue. We're so overwhelmed by the unthinkable that our outrage meters have been blown. We thought we were doing things, tactics that worked in the past, and we're being steamrolled. We're tired, we scared, we still have to maintain employment and show up for t-ball tournaments. The dog still needs to go for a walk and birthdays and Christmas and the dentist keep happening. It seems logical that we would be seething over these events, but how do we keep pouring out energy when the incensing events don't seem to be slowing down. The long term effects of this kind of tension are real. I don't have the answer but for those wondering out loud why we're not dropping everything to storm the tower, this could be one answer.

For those not yet at their breaking point, this is a nice recap of where we're at with the #familiesbelongtogether movement including dates for public events to add your voice in protest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-22-2018), patchouli (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,187 Times in 2,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
While there are marches for education and people protesting at the borders, I've seen it asked by citizens and foreigners alike-- why aren't we flooding the streets in protest against this administration? I think one of the reasons is outrage fatigue. We're so overwhelmed by the unthinkable that our outrage meters have been blown. We thought we were doing things, tactics that worked in the past, and we're being steamrolled. We're tired, we scared, we still have to maintain employment and show up for t-ball tournaments. The dog still needs to go for a walk and birthdays and Christmas and the dentist keep happening. It seems logical that we would be seething over these events, but how do we keep pouring out energy when the incensing events don't seem to be slowing down. The long term effects of this kind of tension are real. I don't have the answer but for those wondering out loud why we're not dropping everything to storm the tower, this could be one answer.

For those not yet at their breaking point, this is a nice recap of where we're at with the #familiesbelongtogether movement including dates for public events to add your voice in protest.

This sums it up for so many. I find it easy not to turn the television on because I didn't have cable for years before I moved. I got so used to getting online, that some days all of the information is too much.

We're either bleeding hearts one day or numb to it all on another.
miamac (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

I apologize for the long quote from the article, but it was hard to narrow it down to even this. If the tents go up in Yuma, I will drive by them every day I go into town. If I thought that they were being humanely housed in order to efficiently process refugee/asylum status, then great.

Exclusive: Navy Document Shows Plan to Erect 'Austere' Detention Camps

The internal document, drafted for the Navy Secretary’s approval, signals how the military is anticipating its role in Trump’s immigration crackdown. The planning document indicates a potential growing military responsibility in an administration caught flat-footed in having to house waves of migrants awaiting civilian criminal proceedings.
The Navy memo outlines plans to build “temporary and austere” tent cities to house 25,000 migrants at abandoned airfields just outside the Florida panhandle near Mobile, Alabama, at Navy Outlying Field Wolf in Orange Beach, Alabama, and nearby Navy Outlying Field Silverhill.

The memo also proposes a camp for as many as 47,000 people at former Naval Weapons Station Concord, near San Francisco; and another facility that could house as many as 47,000 people at Camp Pendleton, the Marines’ largest training facility located along the Southern California coast. The planning memo proposes further study of housing an undetermined number of migrants at the Marine Corps Air Station near Yuma, Arizona.

The planning document estimates that the Navy would spend about $233 million to construct and operate a facility for 25,000 people for a six-month time period. The proposal suggests these tent cities be built to last between six months and one year.

Last edited by miamac; 06-22-2018 at 05:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:51 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post

Women's March organizers plan protest against family separation

The Women’s March plans to hold a protest against President Trump's family separation policy on June 28 in Washington, D.C.

The website for the event describes the protest as a “mass civil disobedience” and says “direct action training and legal support will be provided to all women participating in nonviolent civil disobedience.”

“We call on women from all communities to descend on our nation’s capital and demand the safety and freedom of immigrant families and children,” the website states.

More info HERE

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-23-2018), maytayah (06-23-2018), miamac (06-22-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Looks like they're processing them through FCI Victorville and staff are not happy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-24-2018), fbopnomore (06-23-2018), sidewalker (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 05:26 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Lets not have one conversation in 2 threads There is a thread in the Federal forum on the issue of ICE housing adult detainees in Federal facilities HERE. Surely there will not be children housed in Federal adult prisons

choclgs (06-24-2018), fbopnomore (06-24-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Heard an interview with David Aguilar, the former Chief of Border Patrol on NPR today. The interview was to address Aguilar's opinion on the tactics this administration is using to handle immigration on the southern border as his perspective stems from serving under Obama and GW Bush. In this article, dated April 2018, Aguilar supports the use of Guard troops and comments on the "transnational effort" required for immigration enforcement to happen. In the article, this "effort" is lauded as Mexico stepping up their own deportation rates. In the radio interview, he calls for efforts more on the political bolstering of nations with high rates of exodus. Those are two very different things with two very different levels of responsibility for the US. However, what caught my ear most was an exchange following the question, "Do you feel that the separation of families, as a risk, is being used by the administration as a deterrent?"
(paraphrased, but not much)

Aguilar: No (long winded explanation of how very few understand the risk they take just getting to the US and maybe if they knew that succeeding in reaching the US would result in separation, they wouldn't undertake the first risk)
Interviewer: Soooo...that means it is being used as a deterrent.
Aguilar: Yes, absolutely.

And as for NG on the border, they arrived here in Yuma shortly after the call and are already gone. Not sure what they're being used for elsewhere, but given that we're slated as one of the towns for encampments, you'd think they would have kept them here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-02-2018), patchouli (07-07-2018), sidewalker (07-03-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Looking for policy updates, couldn't find any following the fed court order. From July 6 CNN article:

Here are a few of the upcoming deadlines as set by a federal judge in California last week:
  • By Friday [July 6], the Trump administration is supposed to have guaranteed that every child separated from a parent as a result of the "zero-tolerance" policy at the border is in touch with their parents
  • By July 10, all children 5 and under have to be reunited with their parents (there are estimated to be around 100 of those kids)
  • By July 26, all children separated from their parents at the border have to be reunited
[...]Trump's solution to stop the family separations at the border -- an executive order that allows children to be detained with their parents -- is a stop-gap solution that is about to expire. Why? Because Trump's executive order did not override a Supreme Court decision from the early 1990s that says a child cannot be held in a detention facility for more than 20 days. Which means that on or around July 10 -- 20 days from Trump's signing of the EO on June 20 -- border enforcement officials will be required to start separating families currently being held in detention centers.

I'm curious to hear thoughts on the video that auto-plays over the printed article (Mother reunited with daughter after 55 days). The girl is reportedly five and has been returned to her mother, still awaiting an asylum decision in Mass. I don't know if the other folks in the room are HHS employees or...? I suppose they could be ACLU reps as the mother has a suit filed against the administration regarding due process. I guess I'm uncomfortable with the photo-op this turned into.The girl seems despondent. It would be easy to say, "she's overwhelmed" and perhaps that's the extent of it. I've got my ideas but I'm interested to hear others comments.

Also, sorry for the weird redirect but our ability to share images is down and I loved the message:

Irony
Old 07-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,510 Times in 11,447 Posts

Plus the administration knew that their "solution" wouldn't work, but they could claim that they were reuniting children with their families. There is a different federal law that limits the amount of time that children can be incarcerated without a criminal conviction.

Alternate truth is how they operate. Tell a lie often enough and the "base" will believe it is true. Separating families is because of Session's policy statement to customs/immigration agents, nothing else, so it could be stopped just as easily.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:55 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

She doesn't seem despondent as much as in shock, sad / depressed. She's been through a lot, and there is absolutely no way to know what she's been told. I'm sure this whole ordeal has been surreal, like being in the Twilight Zone. She smiles when she first walks in the room, pats her Mom on the back in a loving, consoling way, yet she seems fearful. Most of us here are familiar with the emotions, racing thoughts & what-ifs that come with Fear of the Unknown. The forcible separation of parent & child will affect the child for many, many years....indefinitely....possibly for the rest of their lives.

fbopnomore (07-07-2018), miamac (07-07-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:34 AM

Donation Award 

Im in tears.
Read the article, watch the videos.
(warning.......blue language in the second video with John Oliver)

https://scroll.in/video/885376/heart...on-court-in-us

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-08-2018), maytayah (07-08-2018), patchouli (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 AM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

The Immigrant Children’s Shelters Near You

Use this map to find the facilities nearest you and to help us find out more about them.
Do you know a child in a facility?
Do you know something about a facility?

Click Here.

fbopnomore (07-08-2018), sidewalker (07-09-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 8,681 Times in 3,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Im in tears.
Read the article, watch the videos.
(warning.......blue language in the second video with John Oliver)

https://scroll.in/video/885376/heart...on-court-in-us
Omg I am beyond words , how can that ever be right?

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-12-2018), fbopnomore (07-08-2018), patchouli (07-09-2018), sidewalker (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 05:22 AM

Donation Award 

And another
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b07b827cc1e76c

That's my dog's nose art