Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:40 PM

Exclamation National Prison Strike August 21 - September 8, 2018

Inmates at Lee Correctional Facility are calling for a National Prison Strike August 21-September 8, 2018. From their press release:
Quote:
Men and women incarcerated in prisons across the nation declare a nationwide strike in response to the riot in Lee Correctional Institution, a maximum security prison in South Carolina. Seven comrades lost their lives during a senseless uprising that could have been avoided had the prison not been so overcrowded from the greed wrought by mass incarceration, and a lack of respect for human life that is embedded in our nation's penal ideology. These men and women are demanding humane living conditions, access to rehabilitation, sentencing reform and the end of modern day slavery.
http://sawarimi.org/national-prison-strike

Last edited by sass4221; 05-30-2018 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: To conform with PTO copyright policy
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 AM

Post Upcoming #Aug21 Prison Strike

Just some thoughts and predictions about the August 21 National Prison Strike being called by organizations like Jailhouse Lawyers Speak,
Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee, and other prison reform and abolitionist groups.

Word has already been sent through the various prisons around the country through mailers, letters, and phone calls. While organizations outside the walls have been making banners and leaflets to educate on why the prisoners are striking.

I hope that this can get enough support and steam to make some real changes in our Federal and state policies concerning the conditions of our prisons. Is there a way that we at PT can help folks on the inside with the strike?
The Following User Says Thank You to cien For This Useful Post:
Baby.feathers6 (08-22-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:42 PM

Thanked 11,053 Times in 5,988 Posts

Make sure they are prepared for the disciplinary sanctions that will inevitably follow, along with the hit to parole chances that will also likely come along with the participation.

I would suggest having them stocked on commissary, but since most agency administrators would have expected that, the sanctions will likely include property restrictions, which means all the commissary they have will be sitting on a shelf in a property room for a month or so...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Billys_Lady (07-05-2018), cien (06-30-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-05-2018), maytayah (07-05-2018), mssirois2u (07-01-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:56 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Make sure they are prepared for the disciplinary sanctions that will inevitably follow, along with the hit to parole chances that will also likely come along with the participation.

I would suggest having them stocked on commissary, but since most agency administrators would have expected that, the sanctions will likely include property restrictions, which means all the commissary they have will be sitting on a shelf in a property room for a month or so...
Thank you for the advice it is really great. The letters we sent out mention that the tactics are suggestions and for those inside should only take the risks if they're willing to face the consequences.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:35 PM

Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,081 Posts

The whole thing seems kind of lame, honestly. Prisons will just go on a preemptive lockdown for that time.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,323 Times in 11,842 Posts

And some prisons may also decide to continue the lockdown for months afterwards. Punishments are always hugely disproportionate to the incident, especially when the cause involves any sort of group action by the prisoners.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,339 Times in 2,349 Posts

South Carolina hasn't lifted the 23-hour lockdown since the deaths at Lee CI occurred in April.

Some have been told it will be over in October but no one on an administrative level will deny the lockdown is indefinite.

When word got around regarding a protest in September 2017, they lockdown the prisons for an entire week to avoid any problems taking place.
fbopnomore (07-01-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:56 AM

Tell them not to participate in such nonsense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texasflower08 For This Useful Post:
Billys_Lady (07-05-2018), safran (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 AM

I have discussed this with hubby. He says that it is not a good thing. I told him that I would support him with whatever he decided to do, but he needed to think it all out first. As of right now, he is not going to participate. He is trying to come home asap!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-05-2018), miamac (07-05-2018), safran (07-05-2018), xolady (08-12-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,180 Times in 6,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnielg View Post
I have discussed this with hubby. He says that it is not a good thing. I told him that I would support him with whatever he decided to do, but he needed to think it all out first. As of right now, he is not going to participate. He is trying to come home asap!
This. I don't mean to rain on the OPs parade, but prison strikes, for the most part, haven't been effective. Yes we can all rattle off the famous few, but the cost of it is too high for the majority of inmates. I guess some could see that as self-serving, but who could blame them? I don't. My husband won't participate. As others have said, he's trying to come home and participation would be an automatic parole denial. Also, strikes were something common in his affiliated days. It's a tactic used by factions who want to press the DOC to do what they want. He can't be associated with that anymore.

Strikes in the free world have a very different connotation than in prison. Make sure your loved ones are fully informed of the consequences, potential backlash, and rate of success before deciding to participate.

Last edited by miamac; 07-05-2018 at 10:58 AM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-05-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-05-2018), Ms Sunny (07-05-2018), RaeLR (07-22-2018), safran (07-05-2018), Sunnielg (07-05-2018), xolady (08-12-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 11:54 AM

Y'all need to go an read when they did this in Michigan in September 2016....
Old 07-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by linh5555 View Post
Y'all need to go an read when they did this in Michigan in September 2016....
Can you be more specific? A quick search shows a national strike involving several states for similiar reasons as the upcoming strike. Was this part of that movement or a separate event? (links if you can! )
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sunnielg (07-05-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Mass incarceration in the US would be over real fast people quit working. It worked for psychiatric prisoners.

Quote:
In 1973, a federal district court ruled in (Souder v. Brennan) that patients in mental health institutions must be considered employees and paid the minimum wage required by the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 whenever they performed any activity that confered an economic benefit on an institution. Following this ruling, insitutional peonage was outlawed as evidenced in the Pennsylvania's Institutional Peonage Abolishment Act of 1973.

Many assume that the advent of modern psychotropic medications was the catalyst for deinstitutionalization in the U.S. However, large numbers of patients began leaving state institutions only after new laws made unpaid patient labor illegal. In other words, when patients no longer worked for free, the economic viability of many state institutions ceased and this led to the closing of many state hospitals. In an ironic twist, patients' unpaid labor had, for decades, helped prop up and support the existence of the very institutions that held them captive. patdeegan.com/Blog/Posts/Lead-Shoes-and-Institutional-peonage

Last edited by NYSisEvil; 07-15-2018 at 10:43 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to NYSisEvil For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (07-28-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 11:25 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,916 Times in 15,102 Posts

Here is a clickable link to the source above:

Lead Shoes and Institutional Peonage

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-15-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Can you be more specific? A quick search shows a national strike involving several states for similiar reasons as the upcoming strike. Was this part of that movement or a separate event? (links if you can! )
M friend was in this when it happen. It had to do with the same thing they want to strike on now. Web search michigan prison riots 2016
Old 07-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by linh5555 View Post
M friend was in this when it happen. It had to do with the same thing they want to strike on now. Web search michigan prison riots 2016
I did and most of the articles were related to a strike across several states, but I thought maybe you had a specific case to discuss regarding Michigan.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:31 PM

97 percent of federal cases and 94 percent of state cases end in plea bargains, with defendants pleading guilty in exchange for a lesser sentence.

If you really wanted to hit the prison industrial complex with a death blow you need to start a plea bargain strike. Even if it was only by people with BS misdemeanors risking very little time that would be enough to overwhelm the whole machine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYSisEvil For This Useful Post:
Baby.feathers6 (08-22-2018), Minor activist (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:04 PM

I am an avacate for the inmates here in South Carolina..I have been doing everything possible to try to help everyone hear their voices ..last week there was a fire started in one of the prisons ..the inmates are frustrated and feel like they are being punished for what happened at Lee Prison. I don't know if this strike will help any of them it seems like once the limelight is over with everyone forgets what is happening to them.No showers for up to 15 days at a time..the food not fit for human consumption and no ventilation in the cells .this has been on going..
The Following User Says Thank You to Tesspatsgirl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-16-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesspatsgirl View Post
I am an avacate for the inmates here in South Carolina..I have been doing everything possible to try to help everyone hear their voices ..last week there was a fire started in one of the prisons ..the inmates are frustrated and feel like they are being punished for what happened at Lee Prison. I don't know if this strike will help any of them it seems like once the limelight is over with everyone forgets what is happening to them.No showers for up to 15 days at a time..the food not fit for human consumption and no ventilation in the cells .this has been on going..
When the last nationwide prison strike took place, the prisons were lockdown for the week. This lockdown has been in place (statewide) for the past three months as of this week, is indefinite. With this being an election year, the governor is playing to the "tough on crime" crowd, so what's been happening in SCDC can continue on through the end of this year, sadly.
fbopnomore (07-19-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 05:23 PM

Default “Prison Strike"

An organization called Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee is promoting a “prison strike” starting on 8/21/2018. They have a website that isn’t hard to find.

I looked at their stuff and I have to admit a few things:
1: Their intent is noble and their objectives are admirable.
2: The incident that was apparently the motivation that gave rise to this thing was bad news and there should be no excusing it or sweeping it under the rug.
3: I have to wonder if these (I hope evidently well-meaning) people have ever even been inside a real prison. They seem to think prisoners can do strikes, demonstrations, protests and whatever as if they were free citizens (with no criminal records) in the street.

I got moved through 5 different facilities during 6 years inside and my personal experience was that any prisoner trying any of those antics on for size ended up in the box for a month or two. None of us got to do any strikes, protests, demonstrations, picketing, sit-downs, love-ins or any such lunacy without facing harsh and undesirable consequences for disobeying direct orders and everything else the CO’s could think of to write tickets for (which was a long list).

My question is -- does anybody know anything about these people or the game they’re trying to persuade vulnerable others to play for them? My take on this thing is that these people are totally disconnected from reality and that their dream of a so-called “prison strike” is just plain other-worldly quality unrealistic, as well as a very bad and potentially dangerous thing for prisoners to participate in.

So---anybody know anything?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-12-2018), fbopnomore (08-11-2018), Ms Sunny (08-11-2018), xolady (08-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

I don't know a lot ...

https://itsgoingdown.org/organizing-...nterview-iwoc/

Quote:
Efforts to organize continued and in the last ten years, there has been a spike in prisoner organizing and protest. Between the historic Georgia workstoppage of 2010, the California hunger strikes and the Free Alabama Movement, it became clear that people were organizing and standing up as a class, in spite of the Supreme Court’s ruling. The basic components of a prisoner’s labor union were there already when Lee Wood, author of Prison Slavery, approached us about supporting the Free Alabama Movement. Our friend Lorenzo Kom’Boa Ervin, a released political prisoner, black panther and founder of the Black Autonomy Federation had detailed how a union approach could be beneficial but the outside support was lacking in those campaigns.
They’re Wobblies — radical as hell.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,323 Times in 11,842 Posts

Some entire prisons have been locked down for months, and at least one "indefinitely" when prisoner's joint actions included more than a very few participants. The biggest fear is that the prisoners will take over the prison, so if the action is small enough for the staff to punish everyone who is involved, that's what happens. Anything more is usually handled brutally for everyone at that prison.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combs View Post
An organization called Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee is promoting a “prison strike” starting on 8/21/2018. They have a website that isn’t hard to find.

I looked at their stuff and I have to admit a few things:
1: Their intent is noble and their objectives are admirable.
2: The incident that was apparently the motivation that gave rise to this thing was bad news and there should be no excusing it or sweeping it under the rug.
3: I have to wonder if these (I hope evidently well-meaning) people have ever even been inside a real prison. They seem to think prisoners can do strikes, demonstrations, protests and whatever as if they were free citizens (with no criminal records) in the street.

I got moved through 5 different facilities during 6 years inside and my personal experience was that any prisoner trying any of those antics on for size ended up in the box for a month or two. None of us got to do any strikes, protests, demonstrations, picketing, sit-downs, love-ins or any such lunacy without facing harsh and undesirable consequences for disobeying direct orders and everything else the CO’s could think of to write tickets for (which was a long list).

My question is -- does anybody know anything about these people or the game they’re trying to persuade vulnerable others to play for them? My take on this thing is that these people are totally disconnected from reality and that their dream of a so-called “prison strike” is just plain other-worldly quality unrealistic, as well as a very bad and potentially dangerous thing for prisoners to participate in.

So---anybody know anything?

I attempted to contact this organization but received no reply. I believe much greater good can come about if they try and be more than keyboard advocates. That may be an unfair assumption but I've learned that many who aren't directly impacted by incarceration (currently incarcerated, formerly incarcerated, or having loved ones who are), believe any form of uprising can lead to voices being heard. We can hardly find consistent advocates here in South Carolina to bring about solutions to the internal struggles unless it's a big news story. Not one of these groups that jump forward after the riots at Lee continued to put pressure on the governor and director once the cameras turned off. Yet we still deal with the fact that our loved ones are still under restriction---limited showers, bagged meals, no recreation, and so forth.
fbopnomore (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 08:52 AM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

> Not one of these groups that jump forward after the riots at Lee continued to put pressure on the governor and director once the cameras turned off.

I recommend that anyone who wants to help be, like chocigs said, "consistent".

The last reform in the WA prison system took ten years of patient lobbying, plodding through in the face of many setbacks. It involved a lot of work away from keyboards, including multiple faith-based organizations organizing in-person constituent visits to the state capital.

I think the IWOC is more likely to get drama than results.
choclgs (08-13-2018), cien (08-18-2018), fbopnomore (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
I attempted to contact this organization but received no reply. I believe much greater good can come about if they try and be more than keyboard advocates. That may be an unfair assumption but I've learned that many who aren't directly impacted by incarceration (currently incarcerated, formerly incarcerated, or having loved ones who are), believe any form of uprising can lead to voices being heard. We can hardly find consistent advocates here in South Carolina to bring about solutions to the internal struggles unless it's a big news story. Not one of these groups that jump forward after the riots at Lee continued to put pressure on the governor and director once the cameras turned off. Yet we still deal with the fact that our loved ones are still under restriction---limited showers, bagged meals, no recreation, and so forth.
The fact that those people don’t even respond to contact attempts speaks volumes about their sincerity, integrity, credibility and dedication to prisoner welfare. IMO these people are just outside agitators and provocateurs trying to get prisoners to be their running dogs and make trouble on their behalf--with zero concern about the price the prisoners will pay for doing so. That "Men and women incarcerated in prisons across the nation declare a nationwide strike...” quote really got my goat, too. How did all those prisoners "across the nation" decide to declare this strike? Did they have a convention somewhere and vote on it? We never got to go to any off-campus conventions when I was in prison. My guess is this “strike” will turn out to be a non-event.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-13-2018), DeeKay123 (08-19-2018), fbopnomore (08-12-2018), Ms Sunny (08-12-2018)