Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls Let's talk about the good things that happen in prison. The correctional officers that have helped us, etc.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Thanked 1,244 Times in 678 Posts

If this CO is being honest he/she will admit that a caring CO is a rare individual, most don't really care how an inmate feels. If they do their job following procedure,policy, rules, and regulations that would indeed be an improvement.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
I was not sure where this goes. Sorry if it is in the wrong place. A freind of mine shared this with a group and i thought i would share it with you.

As I write you, I sit in a tower watching and waiting above one of the largest prisons in the state of Alabama.
As I was sitting, I felt a need to write a letter to tell parents and young adult some of the things that I do and see every day in my chosen profession, as a correctional officer.

I see many sorrows, few real honest smiles and less joy. The sorrows come by many things; one person may have missed an approved visit that he may have worked hard to get. The reason may have been that the inmate broke a rule and the visit was denied or postponed as a punishment, or "his people" didn't come for some reason, or no reason at all.

Many sorrows come by a death in the family or perhaps an illness, and the inmate cannot get in touch with anyone to find out what has happened, or what is being done about the situation. I have heard an inmate not much older than myself, preparing funeral arrangements for one of his parents from prison. I caught myself trying to grasp how he must have felt, and I could not imagine the pain or sorrow. Many times the only thing that they can do is to sit and wait, for hours- sometimes days. I have watched grown men break down and cry from frustration over things you and I don't ever stop to think about, such as a busy signal on a telephone.

Many of us consider no mail as a blessing, sometimes; however, many inmates consider "junk mail" as a blessing because it was sent to them alone. Many receive no mail at all, ever. Some inmates don't know where their family is, or how to contact them, sons, daughters, wives or grandchildren. No one.

Some people will carry a sorrow to their grave, because they will never see "the other side of the fence" as long as they live. Some make the best of the situation. Can you pause for a moment to think what it would be like to never watch TV alone again, or be able to watch what you wanted, or never go fishing or hunting-to hear the sound of the fall leaves rustle under you feet as you walk through the woods with you girl or your wife? If that doesn't shake you, then how about never being able to hold your husband or wife when ever you want to, to pull them close to you and tell them that you love them, never being able to share their company again, or to make love again, as long as you both shall live. You won't be able to enjoy the children as you should, or be able to watch them grow up, to watch him play football, or to watch her go out on her first date, and to wait up until she is safely home. You won't be able to see your grand children grow up, after your children get married, at the wedding you missed, because you were sitting in prison serving a sentence of "life without parole" or will sit somewhere on death row. Where some people fearing, some praying for their time to come, for the execution of their sentence.

Many of us work in a noisy environment-we will stand the pressures and the stresses of the day, to race home for the comfort of our home and to see our wife and children, waiting with open arms to greet us when we arrive.

Imagine living in an environment where the noise seldom stops and the frustrations always runs high and you have very little, in any, choice in what you eat, wear, do or go. You do the same thing day in, and day out, day after day, year after year, with little change. With no one to turn to or no one to lean on, in a place where friends are near non existent and close relationships are even more rare. Debts can cost you all that you have to you name, it can cost you your body, even your life.

My fellow officers and I come to work each day and see the toll it takes on a man to be placed behind a fence and bars, to be stripped of the most private and personal act of being a human being, such as openly caring for someone, or to cry in front of other people, because it may be taken as a weakness. You and I take our freedom for granted. I can promise you that an inmate will treasure the few moments that they get to spend on an eight hour pass with their wife and children. That is the very few inmates that are allowed to take advantage of this privilege.

Many inmates have only a letter or a postcard to hold on to, to keep them going. I have sat for hours and talked with men and their problems, such as their wife has left them, and she has custody of the children, or their parole officer is delaying a parole over a simple matter such as paper work, or a medical examination. Or the officer didn't get to it, he was on two weeks of vacation.

I have sat and looked at pictures of families, a wife, of children and pets and many other things. I have heard stories and the tales about the people in the pictures and have felt compassion for the both of them. I have even cried and prayed for these men when I was alone by my self.

I have often wondered if I had the right to shoot someone that would attempt to escape. With in my reach I have a 12 gage shotgun loaded with .00 buckshot. If the need were to arise that I should have to use it, well, it would certainly maim or kill. I have found an answer. It is in my bible. It tells me that I ma to obey all authority: the State of Alabama is my authority. It tells me that I am to stop an inmate if he attempts to escape, to use the force necessary to accomplish this, which includes deadly force. If it weren't for God's approval the government wouldn't exist.

My job is hard. I must see the sorrows and fears of these men and have compassion as a Christian. As an officer, I must at times do things which seem to show little or no mercy.

Parents and young adults, please listen to what I have to tell you. Teach your children well, to do what is right, teach them how to tell the difference between right and wrong. Teach them that is never too late to come back to our living savior, but most of all teach them how to serve him day to day. Because if you don't, well, I have told you some of the things that I see and witness each day that I walk through a gate , for my Lord and state.

I will leave you with this bible verse; it goes,

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he shall not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:7
Hi, and thank you for this letter. Is there anything we can do for the people that don't have anyone?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thunderbolt22 For This Useful Post:
4MyJoe (10-28-2013), Angel-888 (03-22-2013), cottage style (08-02-2012), jcamor (09-08-2013), KDMSmom (04-18-2013), michaelpaulswif (08-12-2012), pikanita (06-25-2013), Test of time! (07-11-2012), xxxaxxx (07-21-2012)
Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 AM

I have had a good experience with COs when visiting in Butner. I have never seen them mistreat a visitor and have observed how they try to make the visits comfortable for inmates and families. I know they are not all this way, but I feel very blessed that there are good people watching over my husband and treating him as a person and not a commodity.
The Following User Says Thank You to faithwalk12 For This Useful Post:
cottage style (08-02-2012)
Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 AM

this really touch my heart and made me feel a little better about my soon to be husband being in jail and that everyone in there is not bad and dont listen to everything you hear thanks 4 given
Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM

I can so relate to this. I saw it everyday for years
Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

I was completely with this guy until we got to this part:

Quote:
....my bible. It tells me that I ma to obey all authority.

No. Christians are not to obey unjust authority.

Jesus was in conflict with authority when the authority was not just or Godly.

And not for nothing, but that "must follow authority" thing didn't work too well at Nuremberg, either.

Maybe shooting escapees on sight was justified back in the 1930s when most prisoners were in for violent crimes, but it certainly isn't justified now.

But I know, that's what gun towers are for, really, and that's this guy's job but I can't see him justifying it with the Bible.

If he lived in China, he'd have to follow the authority there, would that be Biblical, too? Not the way I was taught, it wouldn't be.
cottage style (08-02-2012), freshmints (05-21-2015), Kittythecat (08-13-2012), survivor2 (06-26-2013)
Old 07-27-2012, 03:58 AM
isabella50

Default wishing your hubby well

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithwalk12 View Post
I have had a good experience with COs when visiting in Butner. I have never seen them mistreat a visitor and have observed how they try to make the visits comfortable for inmates and families. I know they are not all this way, but I feel very blessed that there are good people watching over my husband and treating him as a person and not a commodity.
I was recently incarcerated at a county jail and am going to be sent to a county jail in CA for one year but in Nevada, the CO's treated us like dogs. I had one say to me that I had no right to speak because once I enter there, I am no longer a human being! I am 51, never been in trouble in my life and I respected EVERY CO no matter what! I said "yes maam, no maam" etc...and I still never experienced one single nice CO. I sure hope there are a few out there because I am terrified of being in there for one year because I made a bad choice and after the way I was treated, it terrifies me even more. I realize we all committed crimes in there, but I still think we should be treated as human beings. There are many good people who made a bad choice like myself and its just not right. I just pray to God that when I go in, that I can see the good in the CO's that I am in contact with and I hope they can see that I am human as well...this thread does give me a little hope so thank you to the poster nad to a few CO's who posted that seem pretty nice. I am so scared and the CO's do nothing but holler and intimidate and I am only 100 pounds and I am no fighter. I just hope I survive this...and I hope I can find a few CO's that realize I am a human being....Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to isabella50 For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (07-27-2012)
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 PM

i was a co for three yrs and just recently left i loved my job but it was best for me to leave since i developed feelings for an inmate but there not all bad i was compassionate and a low percentage of my coworkers also i always tried to treat them with respect exspecially if that respect was returned but you are looked down on if your too nice or too compassionate exp as a young female i hated to leave but it was best but there are some good ppl im the prison system (should be more) they also have to deal with a lot of crap ive seen both sides its a real nice poem and glad theres good ppl
Old 03-16-2013, 01:25 PM

I thought this was a beautiful letter. AS you issabella0 i had to spend a day in the county jail. 47 years old, no priors, nothing, traffic tickets were my downfall. I had no idea that when i was taken upstairs I had to face the back of the elevator, so when i got a "Turn the F&^% around yell" it scared me to death. Everytime I think of my husband who has been doingt this on and off for as long as I have known him it breaks my heart.
I feel that yes, you have to enforce the rules of course, but people still deserve respect until they have messed that up. Imagine me 47 getting yelled at like that by someone young enough to be my son, after the fear wore off I wanted to put him over my knee and whip him. I mean seriously. There is no reason for that....... And we seems shocked with our men come out institutionalzed and hardened..... its thier life... sad, brought tears to my eyes

Old 04-06-2013, 02:28 AM
Donation Award 

Smile

This is one of my favorite post here
Old 04-21-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella50 View Post
I was recently incarcerated at a county jail and am going to be sent to a county jail in CA for one year but in Nevada, the CO's treated us like dogs. I had one say to me that I had no right to speak because once I enter there, I am no longer a human being! I am 51, never been in trouble in my life and I respected EVERY CO no matter what! I said "yes maam, no maam" etc...and I still never experienced one single nice CO. I sure hope there are a few out there because I am terrified of being in there for one year because I made a bad choice and after the way I was treated, it terrifies me even more. I realize we all committed crimes in there, but I still think we should be treated as human beings. There are many good people who made a bad choice like myself and its just not right. I just pray to God that when I go in, that I can see the good in the CO's that I am in contact with and I hope they can see that I am human as well...this thread does give me a little hope so thank you to the poster nad to a few CO's who posted that seem pretty nice. I am so scared and the CO's do nothing but holler and intimidate and I am only 100 pounds and I am no fighter. I just hope I survive this...and I hope I can find a few CO's that realize I am a human being....Thanks again.
I've never met a kind one myself, as a visitor we are treated as less than human for standing by our loved one. My first husband was an officer in the military. I was saluted by men in uniform and spoke to with respect. Now men in uniform treat me as less than human.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the posting. Much appreciated!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 AM

Lovely post with the exception of the Proverbs verse. I take offense to it as we did raise our son up right, in a Christian, church-going household. We set wonderful examples and loved, cared and were there for all four of our children. One just made his own adult decisions and now faces his consequences. I refuse to be told I am responsible for his adult choices due to the way I raised him.
The Following User Says Thank You to lostinmissouri For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-27-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinmissouri View Post
Lovely post with the exception of the Proverbs verse. I take offense to it as we did raise our son up right, in a Christian, church-going household. We set wonderful examples and loved, cared and were there for all four of our children. One just made his own adult decisions and now faces his consequences. I refuse to be told I am responsible for his adult choices due to the way I raised him.
I think of that verse as an encouragement. It doesn't tell us that he won't depart from it when he's a kid. It tells us that he won't depart from it when he's old. In the most important time of all right before we all go home to Heaven. We've all see tons of people who have turned from what they were taught when they were young and became prodigals. But the story doesn't end there. Because the prodigal came home where he knew he belonged. <3 It's proof that there's hope for all of our sons and daughters and husbands and wives and sisters and brothers who chose the wrong thing.

Last edited by LaLuuz; 07-06-2013 at 06:02 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 PM

...My experience was essentially 100% okay with the COs but I am older - and look it , beard with grey in it - and do tend to " sir "-etc. up everything , to a certain extent a certain WASP-y distancing - even play-acting , to an extent ! ( I mean , I went as far as sometimes addressing CO's as " boss " and giving half-salutes upon finishing my transaction . ) I was in non-violent/General and , I don't know , maybe Santa Cruz has a certain , as a town , " old hippie/surfer dude " personality , as advertised (Never mind that the TOWN is rather obsessed with " cleaing up the downtown/unsightly people " - One person I was in with said " SC is a rich tourist town and , like such towns , really doesn't care for its own if they don't have $..."I guess he was a native , I am not .) , even among those who go into CO-ness - I remember ome younger guys in with me there asking one particular , quite young , CO " Why'd you go into this ? " He said " I wanted to be a firefighter , but everybody wants to do that..." , i.e. I guess that he saw that a way to prove his cred/suitability for firefighter work...After all , kindergarteners do NOT get book about " One day , when i grow up , I'll be a prison guard ! "......

Last edited by BydSarrett; 08-01-2013 at 03:34 PM..
Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 AM

very powerful
Old 05-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the post. It was truly an eye opener.