Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls Let's talk about the good things that happen in prison. The correctional officers that have helped us, etc.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 AM

i share alot of the same feelings as that CO...i work on a pod that is 120 Mexican National. I feel it takes a special CO to work on that pod because the language barrier is HORRIBLE.. its so frustrating for the inmate and CO. i know spanish i come from a hispanic family...its alot easier.. and they really respect that i speak spanish or try to..instead of writin them off becuase they dont speak english.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Tom's wife

the Bible also says " if you do this unto the least of these you have done it unto me". Prisoners were in the thoughts of Christ.And they should be remembered by us also.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forAllan
the Bible also says " if you do this unto the least of these you have done it unto me". Prisoners were in the thoughts of Christ.And they should be remembered by us also.
Amen!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:44 PM

I pray that our future son-in-law has a co such as this! I know that he loves the Lord and would love to have a co who did also!

43 days and counting!
Praise God!!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Shawn

I have found out that there are really some good co's. The co in our visiting room is great. He greats us when we come in and says "see you next time" when we leave. He talks to us like human beings and asks about how we are doing, and has even shared about himself. On the other hand a couple men at the front desk wont even say goodmorning, or have a good day, when I leave from a visit. I am treated like a murderer too. Have to share this becuz its so cute! Last visit when I waiting for my fiance to be brought over...they brought him in, and 2 co's came around the corner to see if he really did have a fiance. They gave him shit saying "yeah right its prolly your grandmother" They introduced themselves and waved with big smiles. My fiance even introduced one of them as his "prison bitch" I was like OMG you said that to a guard ...but they all laughed and it was all in fun. So that day I realized that they arent all bad. My uncle is also a co somewhere in Arkansas, and I know him well enough to know he can be hard core when he needs to be, but he is also compassionate with a heart. When my mom told him I was marrying a inmate and im sure she told him what he was in for all he said was be careful not to sneak stuff into the visiting room becuz of the trouble I would get into and asked when we got family visits. Little does he know in Iowa there are none! I know this was long just felt the need to share!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:59 AM
FOREVER 100,FOREVER TRUE
Donation Award 

The piece was beautiful and very well written. No matter when it was first posted, it was a very touching piece.

It is what it is...........
Old 06-21-2007, 10:19 AM

That was a very touching letter Lulu. I often wonder how the guards judge us, when we the parents walk through those gates. Do they know that some people live in cycles. Even though we try to escape them, they come around again. As parents there are ones that believe that they did everything in their power to try to raise our children right. However, there are some of us that believe that if we could have done so much more.
But just maybe in our cycle we too had the wrong upbringing and it just flowed downhill. I am glad to hear that your job has not hardened you, as it does so many. I wish more took the time to look deeper.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:27 AM

That was a great read. It helps put into perspective how important our relationships with our loved ones are to them from another point of view. It also is good to know some CO's realize how very hard the life our inmates lead really can be. We need to keep that in perspective.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrie
Lulu, I think I had read that before from Joey's mom. If it wasn't the same thing then it was really similar to this one also. Wow it just shows how the guards are sometimes human. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cherrie from tx
yes guards are humans and they do have feelings, im working on becoming a correctional officer and my husband is doin
you have to be mentaly fit for this job
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM

Wow it was hard for me to continue reading that letter through my tears, God bless her for sharing that with us and we can only pray that there are more people like her working in the prison system with the same compassion and understanding.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Donation Award 

I'd love to see letters like that from CO's written and published in newspapers everywhere. It seems society has gotten so into this punishment and revenge mentality that they forget to put human faces on the people involved.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:43 PM

This is the second time I've read this letter, and the tears just flow. It would be so nice if the co's realized that we are human, and just maybe deserve a little respect when we visit. Some are so hard core that if you cry when you see your loved one, they wonder why? I think they are the one's who are not human, and have treated people the same for so long that they don't know any different.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:09 PM
priestwifey1027

this really brung me to tears. because i know that my husband is a good guy and there are some guys in there who also good guys and they are punished to harsh. it is so sad to see them like that. when i visit my husband with our daughter i know that these hours are what he cherish. so do we. but towards the end of the visit i know he starts getting sad and so do we. One day i sat back and thought of the process of they have to gothrough when they go on a visit. How they have to checked to go in. it is like they been violated and it is so sad. i have a long 10 years till my husband come home. i wsh i didn't. it sad because he is so young 23 and he will be there his whole 20's going through the crap he goes through. But i love him to death and i took the vow to stick by him through thick and thin better or worse and that is what i am doing. i love him to death.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
A Poet and Philosopher

I too have run across a few co's that were really nice and do agree it usually seems to be the older ones that are the nicer although there have been one or two here and there younger ones who have been nice!

~N~
Old 09-24-2007, 04:09 AM

Default what a crock of u know

i have never met any co or officer with any kind of compassion as far as i am concern why do you care you go on with your lives every day then go to work to take your frustrations out on someone other then your own families you use inmates like punching bags treat them like they less then crap on the bottom of your shoe so believe me i dont think you care about anyone but your self i know this my husband has been suffering for a year now with medical issue and everyone from the top down has turn a blind eye.so give me a break and get real you know you dont care i dont even know why they let you post or be allowed to be here where we as a family suffer because of you alls treatment of our love ones

[/url]
Old 10-20-2007, 01:12 PM

wow this letter was really touching.... it really touched my heart... I was even crying.... thanks lulu for posting it
Old 10-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Been here forever

your more then welcome, glad u have enjoyed it
Old 10-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Been here forever

glad u enjoy it
Old 10-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Been here forever

glad u enjoyed it
Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I just read the letter from the officer... I plan to print it up and make copies... it's all about perspective, folks...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 AM

lulu well I can understand some of it but how about when your son gets hit from a hit -n -run driver that says its a accident but wont turn his self in or makes a younger person takes the blame saying I will kill u if u dont take the blame well that happen to my son he got hit by a man that is still out here in these streets and they only gave the 15 year old a year my son has a son and now my grandson has to grow up without a father cause the man wanted to go 70 miles a hour and kill him and what about the men and women that knows right from wrong that keeps goin back to jail/prisons I am not tryin to be mean all I am saying is what about them
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 AM

I was positively surprised to see that a Correctional Officer actually expressed sympathy for the inmates. It is all too seldom seen. I would imagine that this Officer is carrying a burden on his shoulders almost unbearable. That would explain his letter, the contents and his reasoning.

However, I was horrified at the end. How someone can justify shooting someone who is trying to escape is barbaric. At least if this person poses no immediate danger to someone else (for example hostage taking etc). If this guard had any decency, he would either quit or at least be reconsiled with the thought that firing a warning shot would suffice. If not, then he could always claim to have missed or whatever. Any reprisals would be a drop in the ocean compared to the guilt of knowing that he had shot and killed another human being.

In Sweden the prison guards are not even armed. Security is maintained anyway. You don´t need guns to make people remain incarcerated.

Last edited by Vanguard; 01-20-2008 at 06:48 AM..
Old 01-21-2008, 02:01 AM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

As a former inmate I fully agree with the COs discription of life in a prison.

I have known many COs like him. Fortunately there are more like him that care than the ones on a power trip and want to be cops. Or couldn't be cops and took plan B only to bring their frustrations with them.

COs are trained not to get personal or show any weakness. The system does not want them getting involved with the inmates on that level.
Good COs are tough when they need to be otherwise they are seen as weak and could lose control. I've seen good COs stand up for inmates when other COs wanted to punish them.

I've been in the Hole and even had one CO (not working in the hole) come in and ask if I was doing OK. He beleived I had a bum rap and took the time to visit.

The first CO I met when I arrived at my new housing unit asked me if I wanted to have my teeth kicked in - before I had a chance to open my mouth. So you learn who the good and the bad are pretty fast.

Some COs get assaulted in prison and get a hard on for inmates. They may never put it behind them and change.

I've seen inmates put down plans to hurt a guard as well. Inmates will stand up for good COs because they don't want to lose them.

I'm glad to see a CO post from their perspective. They didn't make the system. They are stuck in the same mess the inmates are. They want to do their time and get out too.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I was positively surprised to see that a Correctional Officer actually expressed sympathy for the inmates. It is all too seldom seen. I would imagine that this Officer is carrying a burden on his shoulders almost unbearable. That would explain his letter, the contents and his reasoning.

However, I was horrified at the end. How someone can justify shooting someone who is trying to escape is barbaric. At least if this person poses no immediate danger to someone else (for example hostage taking etc). If this guard had any decency, he would either quit or at least be reconsiled with the thought that firing a warning shot would suffice. If not, then he could always claim to have missed or whatever. Any reprisals would be a drop in the ocean compared to the guilt of knowing that he had shot and killed another human being.

In Sweden the prison guards are not even armed. Security is maintained anyway. You don´t need guns to make people remain incarcerated.
I think you are reading a little too far into the post. Most officers will only use deadly force to prevent an escape as a last resort. In the situation mentioned (which is completely hypothetical by the way), should an inmate escape from a building, waltz right in front of a tower, then approach a 18 foot wall or a fence covered in razor wire, the officers going to call it in on his radio and the inmate will probably be dogpiled by officers before he even has a chance to escape. The weapons mentioned would more likely be used in a riot situation, especially if an officer or officers are down.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Donation Award 

THNX 4 sharing this letter! It gives me hope to see that yes, there are good COs as well . . .

Above the Clouds the Sun is Always Shining!