Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Alabama that do not fit into any other Alabama subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 04-17-2004, 06:12 AM

Thumbs up Bill Passed Senate

Supporter celebrates prison bill's passage

By Bob Johnson
The Associated Press

Rep. Barbara Boyd was driving home from Montgomery to Anniston on Thursday afternoon when she got the call that her bill had passed the Senate and gone to the governor.

"I said praise the Lord and hallelujah," said Boyd, D-Anniston, whose bill would make it a felony for a corrections officer or prison employee to have sexual relations with an inmate.

The Senate gave final passage to the bill Thursday on a 25-0 vote.

The 67-year-old Boyd is the widow of one of the first black police officers in Anniston, Frank Boyd Sr., and a retired school teacher. She said she became interested in passing the bill partly because of her late husband's law enforcement background and because of discussions she has had with family members of inmates.

She said she decided to introduce the bill after a 2001 incident when some parents complained their daughters were sexually abused at the Alabama Department of Youth Services' Chalkville campus. Several employees were fired and others quit during an investigation that originally involved 15 workers.

"When that happened at Chalkville, I thought it was time for someone to act. I could not understand why no one else had attempted to put a law on the books to protect people in custody," Boyd said.

The Alabama Department of Corrections supported Boyd's bill, spokesman Brian Corbett said.

If Riley signs the bill as expected, Corbett said the new law will make it easier for corrections officials to take action in cases where a officer has had sexual relations with a prisoner.

"Currently if there are allegations of misconduct, all we can do is internal discipline. We can't prosecute," Corbett said.

Alabama had been one of only a handful of states without a similar law., said Suha Dabbouseh, southeast field organizer for Amnesty International.

Dabbouseh said her organization supported Boyd's bill because inmates are vulnerable to abuse by their guards.

"There is no way for them to seek justice," she said.

Boyd said she hopes her bill, when it becomes law, will make inmates more willing to speak up concerning incidents of sexual abuse.

She called passage of the bill the highlight of her three terms in the Legislature.

"I would say this is the biggest thing I have accomplished since I've been in the Legislature," she said. "This one I think will help people."
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2004, 06:57 AM

It's crazy that this bill wasn't already in place! Riley the ball is in your court and WE ARE WATCHING!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 01:06 PM
~One Step Closer~ 5/8/12

Amen to that, lace!!! Riley needs to get on the ball!!!!
Selena
Old 04-18-2004, 07:49 AM
happy pto member

I second that AMEN. Gov. Riley, ALL eyes are on you!

may the lord bless you and keep you Num 6:24