Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 AM
++Wife 4 Life++
Donation Award 

Default SENATE BILL 1619 passed

Has anyone heard about the new senate bill 1619 that was just passed and is effective May 11th of next month. It requires all inmates that were court ordered to pay restitution, whatever money the receive 20% of that money will go towards paying their restitution. I really don't like it at all!!!!!!

Here's the link for it and check it out:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument..../laws/0140.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Sei For This Useful Post:
Abananna (04-22-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 03:29 PM

My man was telling me about this the other day. I am not sure what all that mumbo jumbo means on the actual bill!! So all the money that we deposit into their accounts they will take 20% of that money?? Or is it only on the money they make from working?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Donation Award 

My understanding is that it is both, the money that they make and the money sent to them.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:21 PM
++Wife 4 Life++
Donation Award 

Hey, I called the ADOC office in downtown Phoenix and they said they will be taking 20% of whatever money they get, doesn't matter if it's from work or if it's money that families are sending in. The 20% is not taken out per month but it's taken out every time that the inmate receives money. The lady also told me that I can call our Arizona legislature and put in my opinion of disapproval for this bill that they passed but I'm not sure if they will even work at all.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 PM

Just a little advice on this issue, or any other issue that involves the State taking money received from family's out of prisoner's accounts. This is a double tax. If you have a job you are paying taxes which go into paying for prisons etc.. However, by taking money you send the prisoner, they are effectivtely making you pay, and not the prisoner, so you can prevent this from occurring by stating you were not ordered to pay anything. These types of bills are passed to encourage prisoners to work, and for prisons to provide opportunities to work. Therefore, they should not be taking your money!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Donation Award 

Default What Next? Fee per vist??

This is only for restitution not taxes so technically it's not being taxed twice. You a gifting the money to him so therefore the money now belongs to him. If he is ordered to pay resitiution then he's going to have to pay it one way or another either while in or while out. They should only make him pay his restitution with earned income not gifted monies from family. This is where I draw the line. We as wives, and loved ones should not have to fork over 20% of what we send them to survive on in there. Although, I currently do not send my husband money nor does he owe restitution this erks me because it's hard enough loosing one of the bread winners let alone having to send them enough money to buy what they need to have food and extra clothing like that $4.00 pair of boxer shorts (that is not a 10% mark up...that's like over a 100% mark up totally against DOC policy among other over inflated items in the store!!)

How much more does the state want to hinder the working single adults...you can't live off one income let alone support the state every which way but side ways! Jeeze with gas and the vending costs...I'll be shoked if they don't start making it a PAID event to go and visit your loved one in PRISON! Now I would pay for conjucal visits...but that's a whole other thread!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandi View Post
This is only for restitution not taxes so technically it's not being taxed twice. You a gifting the money to him so therefore the money now belongs to him. If he is ordered to pay resitiution then he's going to have to pay it one way or another either while in or while out. They should only make him pay his restitution with earned income not gifted monies from family. This is where I draw the line. We as wives, and loved ones should not have to fork over 20% of what we send them to survive on in there. Although, I currently do not send my husband money nor does he owe restitution this erks me because it's hard enough loosing one of the bread winners let alone having to send them enough money to buy what they need to have food and extra clothing like that $4.00 pair of boxer shorts (that is not a 10% mark up...that's like over a 100% mark up totally against DOC policy among other over inflated items in the store!!)

How much more does the state want to hinder the working single adults...you can't live off one income let alone support the state every which way but side ways! Jeeze with gas and the vending costs...I'll be shoked if they don't start making it a PAID event to go and visit your loved one in PRISON! Now I would pay for conjucal visits...but that's a whole other thread!

I would pay for those visits also!! lol!! So has this already taken affect or when will they start taxing the 20%. I just can't believe that they rip the inmates off so bad....they mark everything up as it is and then to take the little bit of money they have coming in.

I agree with all of you!! There has to be something that we can do to get this to stop. They really want the inmates to suffer more than they already do!!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:57 PM

This bill was passed April of last year. Is it just now going into affect?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:07 PM

The double tax is when he has to pay $3.00 for medical, dental, etc., as well as for electricity, something us as tax payers have already paid for. Yes, you are correct we are gifting them money, however, it is not a gift for payment but rather support to get the things he needs, including clothing, something we as tax payers already paided for, so now for loving them we have to also fulfill the court's orders for them? Funny thing about visitation, the court's have ruled more than once that visitation is not a right.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:13 PM

If you look at the bottom of the bill it was signed by the Governor April of 2007. Is it just going into affect now or has it been in affect?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 PM

I don't understand. Section C says tht if they were ordered to pay restitution the director will determine the amount. The minimum will be 20% or it can be as much as 50%. Come on what is going on? Can they really take 50% of the funds I am sending to support my husband in prison because ADOC chooses not to supply them with simple necessities such a a sufficent amount of toilet paper. Anyone

Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM
in love with my soulmate

There is nothing you can do about it. It has nothing to do with you not being ordered to pay or anything like this. You are sending money to your family member, as soon as it hits his or her account, it is automatically theirs, so they are paying the restitution they are ordered to pay.
I mean seriously, why is everybody upset about this bill? They will have to pay this no matter what. If they are inside or after they get out, so what is the difference?
So if you are all sending money now and it is taken from that as soon as it gets deposited or if you help paying for it after they get home, it is all the same!! Just that it will be paid of a bit sooner.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Is this just court ordered restitution? You see my husband was taken by ambulance from Lewis prison to the hospital and the bill was over $2000.00. They say they are taking the money from his account (10% presently) so I am presuming that they will increase this amount to 20% or many even 50% with this bill. Can anyone answer that question?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:04 AM
in love with my soulmate

Anna, restitution is court order at their sentencing. It has to do with what he was sentenced for and if he was ordered to pay restitution.
It has nothing to do with him being taken by ambulance to the hospital.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Default Do They Take The 20% From Each Time Money Comes To Him Or Just Once A Month?

Gosh I sure hope 20% is the most they can take....Does anyone know if it's each time they receive money or is it once per month & would that be the total amount he receives each month?

My man & I were just talking about this today...he wasn't sure...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 AM
++Wife 4 Life++
Donation Award 

I heard the 20% is being taken out each time they receive money. I think the bill is just going into affect on May 11th even though it was passed last year.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:10 PM

This is really frustrating. this is going to hurt the inmates who do not make very much money and also the ones who's families can't send them money very often.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Default They Nailed His Account This Week (May 15, 2008)

He called he was so upset because without any advance warning they just took the money & he didn't get all of his store. (he orders very little store).

I feel that they should atleast tell you ahead of time when they are going to take & how much they're going to take, so you have some sort of idea what's happening. They should also supply the inmates with an inventory record of whats been taken so they can account for it later on.

It appears they took 20 % of everything he'd gotten put on his books for the entire month.......

I really disagree with this because his family sending the money does not owe the restitution HE DOES. But then the flip side, if I were the person whose item was damaged I would want SOMEONE to be paying for it...

So I'm torn here on this one.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:32 PM

I was really upset when he told me about this. I sent him a long letter screaming about it. I am out here on my own raising 2 kids and struggling to pay all the bills on my own, plus send him money to support him. Its not fair to take 20% of what I send in. I have no problem with them taking from his wages while he works in there. But even that is a joke. How about paying these guys a wage that will cover their expenses while in there. They make like 10 cents an hour from what he says. Come on!
Mine was ordered to pay restitution, I have no problem with that. But I think he should pay that when he's released. It's his restitution, not mine. Right now I feel like I am having to pay HIS restitution.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:20 PM
almost home
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena View Post
But even that is a joke. How about paying these guys a wage that will cover their expenses while in there. They make like 10 cents an hour from what he says. Come on!

Yup - my hubby was making .10 cents when he was working - pathetic!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

They took out the money last month, but then they returned it to his books??? We don't understand whats happening now??
Old 06-10-2008, 04:13 AM
Forever His ♥
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,256 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinysChild View Post
They took out the money last month, but then they returned it to his books??? We don't understand whats happening now??
I questioned this when you wrote it because you said that they took it out for the entire month, and it shouldn't have been done that way. After May 11, it's taken out upon deposit into their account.I'm thinking that maybe somone spotted the error and is returning the money to his account. Just my thoughts!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Together we stand!

E was told by his CPO that if you are in the process of appeal that they can not take the 20%...so far, they have not taken any from his books...not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...we will see!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntshadow1 View Post
I questioned this when you wrote it because you said that they took it out for the entire month, and it shouldn't have been done that way. After May 11, it's taken out upon deposit into their account.I'm thinking that maybe somone spotted the error and is returning the money to his account. Just my thoughts!
After they returned that money onto his books from May they haven't taken a penny since. Only for electricity.

I wonder if anyone has had money taken out yet per the new law ?

Last edited by DestinysChild; 06-26-2008 at 01:42 AM..
Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Arizona Inmate

As a current inmate, a lot of us are talking about it. I myself, have a different view point. I believe my victim should receive his restitution in all fairness. But, you know how Prosecutors can create arbitrary amounts for Restitution. A friend of mine here, is disabled and cant work any jobs. even the yard crew. )Wilmot Unit. He is dependent on the 25 a month he gets from family. He also owes a lot of money. and He has had to take the hygeine budget and cut it in half.

I dont think much consideration was given when this bill was written. And was debated even less on the Floor.

Unfortunately, I dont know what to say other then that
dannysbabyblue (07-02-2008)