Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge Introductions forum for California members and a place to discuss non-prison related topics with other people in the State.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Arrow Husband's 1st time going to prison

Hi, My husband is currently in jail and is going to be sent to DVI in Tracy, CA in a week or so. While he's there he gets to put in 2 requests for which prison he would like to be placed in. He's level 1 nonviolent, has a long history of drug abuse, and a strike from a burglary 8 years ago. We want to make the best out of this situation, as in Substance abuse programs, life skills, educational classes, etc.. I've been doing research on all the level 1 prisons in California, but its hard to get details. If anyone has any advice or suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated! My husband really wants to get his life together and never go back to prison again, we'd like this to be a success story. Thank you !!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2015, 11:07 PM

Thanked 2,619 Times in 1,199 Posts

To be honest, they will send him wherever they want to. I was recently told by someone who works for CDCR that a number of the job training and educational programs they once had in level 1 programs have been moved to SNY yards, not sure how true that is but I have no reason not to believe her. I don't think there are any formal substance abuse programs left in California prisons, just NA classes in some. His best bet would be fire camp, he would be able to stay out of the politics that he would encounter in most prisons.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sleepy For This Useful Post:
JCMiller (01-01-2016)
Old 09-15-2015, 02:10 AM

I would second the suggestion that he request fire camp training.

Its hard work but a long way from life on a yard. As of two years ago, there were still some formal regimented drug programs but I'm not sure if they are very effective. Its my opinion that a substance abuser has to really want to end the madness and then the rest can fall in place.

Regardless of his desires, CDCR is going to put him in the nearest open slot. Should he end up at a level-1 facility, he might request firehouse placement.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:15 AM

It is true, cdcr will place him wherever THEY want to, or are able to fit him in! The level 1 yards are packed in just about all cdcr facilities. My nephew recently went through DVI "reception" and after about 90 days finally spoke with a counselor, his 3 choices where not honored, and he ended up in a totally different facility than was "requested".
He is a level 2. I'm not entirely sure about substance abuse treatment in cdcr, but I agree if he is eligible for fire camp, then that would be his best option by far! Prayers to you and your loved ones!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 PM
MiSsiNgHIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneybear View Post
Hi, My husband is currently in jail and is going to be sent to DVI in Tracy, CA in a week or so. While he's there he gets to put in 2 requests for which prison he would like to be placed in. He's level 1 nonviolent, has a long history of drug abuse, and a strike from a burglary 8 years ago. We want to make the best out of this situation, as in Substance abuse programs, life skills, educational classes, etc.. I've been doing research on all the level 1 prisons in California, but its hard to get details. If anyone has any advice or suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated! My husband really wants to get his life together and never go back to prison again, we'd like this to be a success story. Thank you !!!
What prison did he end up in ?

My name is Lili my man was in D.V.I Tracy got moved to San Luis Obispo