Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Virginia professional licenses for ex-offenders

Are there any professional licenses that an ex-offender can earn? I am asking because I still have GI Bill benefits left and would like to further my education, but don't want to waste money on a degree that I can't use. I am willing to relocate to North Carolina if I have to. Currently in Virginia (and sucking wind). My conviction is only 2 years old at this point.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 PM

Is there a specific "professional license" you are thinking about? I can tell you that as far as things like nursing, medical, pharmacy, veterinary type licenses you have to petition the state board for a license with conviction/prison time etc. This is partly due to being responsible for prescribing/administering controlled substances and partly because you hold another's life in your hands. You have to answer lots of questions and generally have board hearings to determine whether or not they think the person is an acceptable risk for a license based on what the infraction was. My guess would be that most states are not willing to discuss this with you until AFTER you went to college, got the degree, and then applied for licensure. I've had licenses in multiple states and the rules did not vary much from state to state.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:33 AM

Default Real Estate License

What about obtaining a R.E. license as a convicted felon non violent crime? Can you do this in VA?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:45 AM

I did speak with the real estate board and they said it was a case by case thing. They won't discuss it until after you paid for the classes, tests, and license application. Just like Guinevere said.

BTW, Thanks Guinevere! Getting information in Virginia is like pulling teeth out the mouth of an unsedated crocodile.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 AM

Totally understand about VA - lived there for a while - military wife. Good luck with your search for a profession. If you find something you really want to do - GO FOR IT! You may have to fight to get what you want but don't let your dreams be squashed. Show them you are a hardworking human and can do the job!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:23 PM

I am a psychology major and was thinking of eventually working in VA. My college is there and the curriculum is geared toward obtaining work in VA. If you look at the licensing board requirements, they do not say you cannot be licensed but I believe that you will have to give a full explanation. I have heard that as long as you have not committed any type of crime that would be unethical (sex offenses, violent crime, etc) that they should approve your licensure.

I hope this helps. At some point I will be applying for a professional license myself.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 AM

I hope so. I only have till the end of the month to get something going then I'll be kicked out of my parents house.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 AM

I know someone that was turned down by a Texas LPC licensing board because of a 10 year old gun related felony. After consulting an attorney he appealed the decision and won. He provided letters from his previous parole officer and judge.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 AM

Thank you for offering your success story. I hope that my situations is pardoned but i am still researcing jobs and edcuaton/training to keep on top of my fireld until I hear back from them. My felony is F3 Access Device Fraud and it's been 13 years since mine.

To Lady... I feel for you girl, I am about one step out of leaving and moving either to another state to a place my family has or moving across counry to find a job there. We have to make decison soon because we don't have much longer to create a better plan
Old 07-17-2007, 03:29 PM

As it stands now, it's just a matter of where space comes available first. If I get in a shelter in Richmond or Norfolk. I have an appointment with my probation officer on the first. She never has any tips for me and knows how my mom flips out. I'm really thinking that Richmond is trying to get rid of their poor by any means.