Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Missouri Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:22 PM

Default Letter Returned

I was returned a letter that I had written my grandson in Pacific, MO. It had not been opened and was returned to sender because a check mark by Not Authorized to Enter MECC. Does anyone know what this means or why it was returned. There is also a yellow label that says return to sender refused unable to forward. There was no reason to forward it. It went to the correct address. I am so confused and hurt that he did not receive my letter.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2019, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,746 Times in 3,046 Posts

I'm not sure how Missouri mail works. I know some states, you have to be on the inmate's approved correspondents list or the prison will reject the mail ("Not Authorized to Enter MECC"). You may even need to be on their visitors list.

The "refused, unable to forward" means the prison refused the letter, and the post office was unable to forward the letter, so they returned it to you.

Most prisons have mechanical envelope openers, so all mail goes through that before it goes to the human who will read it. That why it had been opened. It's also why they usually don't allow anything thicker than 1/4 inch (doesn't fit in the envelope opener).

I hope you can figure out why they refused your letter and get it straightened out. Have any previous letters from you gotten through?
Old 05-24-2019, 04:03 PM

If you sent pictures in with it they will reject it. Also call the mail room at Pacific they have to have documentation as to why they rejected it.
The Following User Says Thank You to playnalwayz69 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-25-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 03:11 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,505 Times in 15,248 Posts

also the yellow sticker is probably from the USPS.

Its just a common sticker that is applied to mail that has been refused/returned.
Once the prison REFUSED the letter the carrier or clerk has to send the letter back thru another dept. They applied that yellow sticker.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-26-2019)