Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Donation Award 

Default Concurrent Sentence - Concurrent Probation?

My guy is serving concurrent state and federal sentences. He started serving his time in state prison and was paroled to the federal system because of the federal detainer. He has been told that he will have to report to two probation officers when he gets out.

Is this probation ever combined so that he will only have to report to one officer?

He's Home!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Don't try, DO!

It's not possible to consoliate state and federal supervision. You have accountability to two different courts, under two different sets of laws, with two different consequences for violating. As a federal officer, I don't keep track of changes in state laws and state procedures. A state officer would similarly, not know the laws and rules regarding federal supervised release.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Donation Award 

That makes sense. I'm worried about future employment and time to check in at two different places and how employers might view that.

He's Home!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,394 Posts

In my experinece, federal po's understand work schedules and do not want to be the cause of someone losing a job. you know better about SC state procedures, but it is counter-intuitive that a probation appointment would threaten employment. If scheduling does become an issue, then he can always get a temporary assignment with Manpower or Workforce or another agency that gives temporary but long-term assignments. As he builds a good history with the agencies, the supervision requirements may lessen.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Don't try, DO!

I try to work with my people on dial supervision. Especially because several of them live in outlying areas, 40 minutes or more from town. In those cases, I try to schedule their federal appointment shortly after their state appointment, to minimize their time away from work.