Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Parole, Probation & Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 AM

Default Parole Questions

As I peruse the forum’s “Parole” topics, I see a lot of comments regarding day parole.

1. Are inmates allowed to be released home while on day parole?

2. What’s truly the difference between day parole and full parole if he’s allowed to come home?

3. And how long is day parole? For a 2 year sentence, would day parole be a hassle or a help?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 12:08 AM

If it is a 2 year sentence, he will eligible for day and full parole at around the same time, so at his hearing, he should go for both.

2. Day parole means he has to sleep at a half way house. Throughout the day he can go home, go to work, etc. He just has to check into the halfway every few hours via a phone call. But at the end of the day, he has to sleep at the half way house.

3. A lot of people do not receive full parole, however, if he gets day parole, he might be out of prison after 6-8 months, and he can do the rest of the time on the outside.

Depending on the crime, and the circumstances of the offender, for a 2 year sentence, I did see quite a few people get full parole. That means he would be able to go straight home, and be on parole for the remainder of his sentence.

3. Day parole is usually 6 months or until your statutory release date. Or, if you get day and full parole, then it is until your full parole eligibility date.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:34 PM

Are they eligible for parole is the sentence is less than 2 years? he is in a provincial jail toronto south detention centre
Old 03-30-2019, 03:20 PM
Moderator On Leave

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 4,875 Times in 1,226 Posts

Day Parole, huh? Well....Ive been on "Day Parole" here in Texas since July of last year and it's hard to believe how difficult it has been trying to elevate myself to full parole. Something has to give sooner or later though. I realize this forum is to do with Canadian matters, but if anyone asks Dallas and Ft Worth may be right next to each other, but Dallas is way ahead of Ft Worth when it comes to one of us getting out and starting over where opportunity is concerned
Old 04-05-2019, 08:22 AM
OnparoleinTO

Jarias2019 - There isn't a lot of parole fro mprovincial jails but you might want to contact Lee Chapelle at Canadian Prison Consulting. I understand he has had a fair amount of success helping people get parole from provincial institutions in Ontario. However keep in mind the timing - it usually takes several months to get a hearing for parole, and by that time he may be near stat release (2/3), so it may not be worth it to do the whole parole thing. It likely only makes sense if the sentence is well over a year and you are still near the beginning.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-05-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
Jarias2019 - There isn't a lot of parole fro mprovincial jails but you might want to contact Lee Chapelle at Canadian Prison Consulting. I understand he has had a fair amount of success helping people get parole from provincial institutions in Ontario. However keep in mind the timing - it usually takes several months to get a hearing for parole, and by that time he may be near stat release (2/3), so it may not be worth it to do the whole parole thing. It likely only makes sense if the sentence is well over a year and you are still near the beginning.

I have been thinking of calling Lee Chapelle. Not sure whether to do before I plead, or after. Or maybe not to call him at all. My lawyer is quite helpful. I understand Lee would be able to help me with other things. But I most likely looking at 2 years, so mostly likely minimum at Beavercreek. I have my own business, stay at home Dad, no priors. So the chances of parole are pretty good, without his help...
Old 04-09-2019, 01:29 PM
OnparoleinTO

Default Parole

You have to be careful here. If you get exactly two years you could end up in a provincial jail, not a federal prison - and you could get 3 years of probation on top of it. I hope your lawyer knows that. If you're doing two years federal time is generally easier than provincial in a lot of ways.

The key thing is to apply for parole right away - even while in assessment (if you are in federal). It can take 4-5 months from application to hearing, and the jail parole officers will often delay you getting your application done in all sorts of ways. For example they'll say you should defer, or they'll say they won't support you so you shouldn't apply (neither is true). It isn't just a matter of being eligible, it's a matter of getting your application filed in a timely way and with the right information. The parole hearing people work for the National Parole Board but the jail parole officers work for CSC and often have little interest in actually helping anyone get paroled.

If you do decide to talk to Lee, earlier is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice2020 View Post
I have been thinking of calling Lee Chapelle. Not sure whether to do before I plead, or after. Or maybe not to call him at all. My lawyer is quite helpful. I understand Lee would be able to help me with other things. But I most likely looking at 2 years, so mostly likely minimum at Beavercreek. I have my own business, stay at home Dad, no priors. So the chances of parole are pretty good, without his help...
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-09-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:51 PM

I remember you telling me the difference. I meant to write 2 years plus a day to get Federal. As I have learned it's overall better.

I don't have much going on tomorrow. Maybe I will give his office a call. See what kind of rates/packages he has. How much room I have on the LOC!