Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM
English Super Moderator

PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,562 Times in 6,757 Posts

Although I dont know first hand about heroin addiction I did have a cousin that was addicted to it. For ten years it ruled his life and his families life. He would steal, beg, even sell his own body to get a fix.I know he started off smoking heroin and then injecting it It took him 3 years to get clean and I thank God everyday that he decided to get clean.
Whilst he was addicted he was offered every kind of help but it never worked, he had to decide to get clean. He said its the kind of drug that can make anybody addicted

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Always Loving Him

Thanked 1,234 Times in 270 Posts

Sweetie, I have not real all the responses here...only the first page. But one thing you might look in to is Skype open meetings. They are for people like me who are shutins and can't get to traditional open meetings. It could be an option for you. Or find an online help center. So often, just being able to put voice to emotion can be healing. Trust in whatever higher power you believe in that you did not put that first drink, joint or pipe in your sons hand. None of us ever looked at our babies and decided that they were going to be junkies or drunks. We love our kids and want to nurture and protect them. But protecting them from themselves is the hardest part of letting them grow up.
Blessings ~

You can be a victim only once. After that you become a volunteer.

My son made parole ~ Home since 11/05/2012

The Following User Says Thank You to LovingMomofRyan For This Useful Post:
4ever love (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,975 Times in 1,392 Posts

Today is not a good day. I don't have good feelings today. I'm really worried today and I can't focus on work. I found an open meeting at NA that I'm going to go to in 1/2 hour.

PTO Quarterly Winter Edition
Follow the Link to the newest Edition!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 2,008 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevaeh2morrow View Post
Today is not a good day. I don't have good feelings today. I'm really worried today and I can't focus on work. I found an open meeting at NA that I'm going to go to in 1/2 hour.
Hang in there! Sorry work, you can wait, momma on here needs some guidance....Always know that when you go to a meeting, there is something that was meant for you to hear. I truly believe that.

Prayers have been sent for you. When ready share with us.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thank you 4Ever. The NA open meeting was not what I needed. I will stick to the NarAlon meetings.... I was very disappointed. People walking in and out the entire time. Couldn't hear hardly anything and what I did hear was not comforting in any way. A few people there were high (it was very obvious and they had to leave) I'm sure there are others (meetings) that would be better to go to but I will stick to the NarAlon meetings.

The Following User Says Thank You to nevaeh2morrow For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (07-24-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,285 Times in 607 Posts

I too am the mother of a heroine addict, I lived thru 9 years of insanity.........took him to the methadone clinic, then the suboxone dr,he went thru nursing school on a scholorship slamming heroine, he was even going to work at a nursing home on heroine ( I made him quit by threateningto call his employer

He got locked up for theft nov 13, because of a new law in ky he is now in court ordered rehab and clean ( at least for today) he is on probatiion for 2 years, if he stays clean he gets his life back. If not he gets 5 years in jail

feel free to pm me anytime.........if you have questions or just need to vent.....hang tough big hugs to you
As of today if my son has no setbacks he will be out in sept, scares the crap out of me..even though he has 7 months sober
Lisa
The Following User Says Thank You to mg113 For This Useful Post:
nevaeh2morrow (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Thank you 4Ever. The NA open meeting was not what I needed. I will stick to the NarAlon meetings.... I was very disappointed. People walking in and out the entire time. Couldn't hear hardly anything and what I did hear was not comforting in any way. A few people there were high (it was very obvious and they had to leave) I'm sure there are others (meetings) that would be better to go to but I will stick to the NarAlon meetings.

Wow that sucks. Sounds like it wasn't very organized. Sorry it was disturbing for you. Sadly, drugs and drug use are not comforting in any way.

What you taught me from what you shared, is the disruption of drugs even affects some meetings. My man's drug of choice: meth. I still preferred and went to AA meetings.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg113 View Post
I too am the mother of a heroine addict, I lived thru 9 years of insanity.........took him to the methadone clinic, then the suboxone dr,he went thru nursing school on a scholorship slamming heroine, he was even going to work at a nursing home on heroine ( I made him quit by threateningto call his employer

He got locked up for theft nov 13, because of a new law in ky he is now in court ordered rehab and clean ( at least for today) he is on probatiion for 2 years, if he stays clean he gets his life back. If not he gets 5 years in jail

feel free to pm me anytime.........if you have questions or just need to vent.....hang tough big hugs to you
As of today if my son has no setbacks he will be out in sept, scares the crap out of me..even though he has 7 months sober
Lisa

What is "slamming heroine"?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
What is "slamming heroine"?
"Slamming" is using a needle to inject the drug.

Diana
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grannydi For This Useful Post:
nevaeh2morrow (06-11-2012), xolady (10-02-2016)
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever love View Post
Wow that sucks. Sounds like it wasn't very organized. Sorry it was disturbing for you. Sadly, drugs and drug use are not comforting in any way.

What you taught me from what you shared, is the disruption of drugs even affects some meetings. My man's drug of choice: meth. I still preferred and went to AA meetings.
I haven't gone to the AA meeting yet. I plan on checking that out too

Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 PM

Donation Award 

It has been two months now since I have seen or heard from my son.....
missing

Old 07-24-2012, 06:27 PM
tired

Thanked 14,156 Times in 3,687 Posts

Quote:
I just read the last few posts in this thread and had to say I agree with this. I was a big 12 stepper in AA for many years and found it real frustrating to try to get something out of my meetings when this was happening. Those people you talk about walking in & out, probably high, were probably there because they HAD to be or face jail time. They probably HAD to have a paper signed that they were attending their court ordered drug/alcohol program. To this I want to tell the 'courts' it is a waste of every-one's time. No one is going to get anything out of NA, AA, PDAP, or any other substance abuse program unless they want to be there and work the programs.
I am sorry you were discouraged. Maybe you should go back a few more times and maybe someone will have information about going into a 'closed meeting' where only people who WANT to be there attend or are asked to leave.
bb
Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
It has been two months now since I have seen or heard from my son.....
missing
Group hug!! I'll be putting you and him into our prayer request. Thank you for the update.

It's In!!! Let's get this prayer party started....

Last edited by 4ever love; 07-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Prayer request in and received. Yahoo!!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:14 AM

Honestly I'm a recovering addict and u kicking him out was honestly a good thing because you are not enableing him anymore it took my family disowning me loosing my daughter and everything in my live including the roof over my head to get to the point where I was ready to try to beat this disease as long as I had all that in my life I was still gonna do my drugs and have my fun and numb my pain I think u did the right thing I know it's hurting u and believe me it hurts him to I'll be praying for your son and your family
Old 09-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Default Some insight from the other side

I would like to start of with saying that him saying he understands why is a good sign. It means that he is aware. He isn't lost. He may not want it yet but the thought of recovery crosses his mind. Don't loose hope. Just be patient. It takes something extremely drastic to change the mindset of an addict. Sometimes jail isn't enough. The best thing is to just be there when that does happen. It will be a time of regret and sorrow for him. Acceptance and forgiveness are key when it comes to the motivation that is required to move forward in recovery. That's what did it for me. Support and unconditional love from my family that I'm am so fortunate to have. I hope the best. Hang in there.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I can honestly say that this is probably the worse day of my life. After years of struggling with my sons addiction(s), losing thousands of dollars in money and material things, sleep, stress, humility, friends, family among other things I forced my son to leave yesterday. He left saying that he understood why, he left with no money and no place to go. He left with the clothes on his back. I am left with a deep hole in my heart. It honestly feels as if my chest has been cut open and someone is pouring shards of glass onto my heart.

Months ago after bailing him out of jail I attended an Alanon meeting. It was good but I haven't been back because everyone talked about alcohol. I think it is for families who have a loved one that suffers from alcohol addiction. Where do I go? Where do families go with loved ones who are addicted to oxy and heroine?
You can go to Nar-Anon. There are online forums and also face-to-face meetings, too. You might also want to check out Smart Recovery. You will find people who understand exactly what you are going through. How old is your son?

Kathy