Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Member Introductions & Lone Star Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Member Introductions & Lone Star Lounge Please post your introduction here if you are involved with the Texas prison & criminal justice system, and join in non-prison related conversations with other people from your state.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Default Questions about appeals & clemency in Texas

Hi everyone, so as you have seen in the title, my nickname is mayon, and i am french and live in Toulouse (souh west).
I registered myself on this forum because i am trying to help a friend who is an inmate at Hughes unit Texas, he was convicted at 15 for 1st degree murder at life with the possibility of parole. His earlier realase date is planned for 2043. He is now 28. We are looking for anyone or anything that could help for his appeals. All that we have found so far is for juvenile lifers with no parole. So if you have any tips for us... as i am abroad it's not that easy To help but he has almost no one left so i am doing anything i can To help.
Thank you for your answers,
Sincerly,
Mayon
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,318 Times in 10,449 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk Mayon. I moved your question to the Texas prison forums for answers from members who are familiar with their criminal appeals process.

One option to look into is clemency, which allows the state to reduce sentences, even life sentences.
https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/exe...exec_clem.html
Old 11-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Awww that's sweet! Thank you for your help!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mayon For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:43 PM

Thanked 9,869 Times in 5,545 Posts

Clemency is not going to occur here. Yes the process exists, but it isn't a case that is going to get the necessary support to even get TO the Board, much less get the required votes to get it to the Governor's office.

For there to be a 40 year requirement says he was certified as an adult. That suggests there were some particularly heinous elements to the case. Had he been tried as a juvenile and later transferred to TDCJ, then 40 years would have been the maximum that could have been imposed and he would have been parole eligible after half of that had been served.

The only potential option for appellate relief is going to be a writ, but at this juncture, there is apt to be little that would not already be barred by laches. Any viable arguments for appellate action would reasonably have been discerned long before now. Further, chances are that he has already exhausted his appellate options...
Old 11-18-2017, 04:17 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Clemency is not going to occur here. Yes the process exists, but it isn't a case that is going to get the necessary support to even get TO the Board, much less get the required votes to get it to the Governor's office.

For there to be a 40 year requirement says he was certified as an adult. That suggests there were some particularly heinous elements to the case. Had he been tried as a juvenile and later transferred to TDCJ, then 40 years would have been the maximum that could have been imposed and he would have been parole eligible after half of that had been served.

The only potential option for appellate relief is going to be a writ, but at this juncture, there is apt to be little that would not already be barred by laches. Any viable arguments for appellate action would reasonably have been discerned long before now. Further, chances are that he has already exhausted his appellate options...
Thank you for your answer even if i was hopping for something a little bit more reassuring .