Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Maine318

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfaluchi View Post
Hey Countrygirl. My husband has been at Big Sandy for over 4 yrs and I've seen it at its worse and best. Before they separated the Penitentiary, u could never plan a visit because of lockdowns that lasted weeks and months. Then it became better on the visitation end for a while but now, its back to a lot of lockdowns. I visit every month, driving 8 hours. Sometimes u visit on Saturday and then Sunday they are locked down. As far as dress code, it depends on who is at the desk. One minute u can wear a blazer or sweater and the next minute its no. They have pushed the seats so far back from each other now, hope u have a good back. Some of the guards are ok but when they do the quarterly change, you'll end up with new a**hole guards. The kids can't sit with the inmates anymore because someone wanted to use a baby to smuggle SMDH! Its in a remote area so there is nothing to do. I always stay at the comfort inn or Ramada, which are both descent hotels. I know they are making a lot of changes right now but I'm just glad my husband is transferring next week and coming closer to home. Let me know if u have any additional questions, good luck
The kids can't sit with the inmates anymore? What does that mean? I'm used to going to visit and being in a big room and the kids can sit in their dad's lap. How is visit there? I am so confused

Taking it one day at a time
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Does anyone know if they are on lockdown again?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooThang2018 View Post
The kids can't sit with the inmates anymore? What does that mean? I'm used to going to visit and being in a big room and the kids can sit in their dad's lap. How is visit there? I am so confused
No the kids can't sit in their dads laps anymore due to the fact that someone was caught passing drugs in their child's diaper! It is a big visiting hall room and you sit across from the inmate. Sometimes they let you hold hands but on my last visit they were stopping that! I hope this helps you some! If you have any other questions feel free to ask I have been going at this for a while now!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelE12 View Post
Does anyone know if they are on lockdown again?
I was wondering the same thing. I didn't get my call last night or this morning.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Maine318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrygrl75 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I didn't get my call last night or this morning.
I got a call this morning, my LO just got there yesterday.

The Following User Says Thank You to BooThang2018 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-31-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Maine318

I've been looking at hotels around the area, and I know about The Haven (or whatever its called) but I was looking for an actual hotel, besides the Super 8, the only thing i have found is in Paintsville... is that right?? I am hoping to go this weekend and want to get everything figured out as much as I can. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I've been looking at hotels around the area, and I know about The Haven (or whatever its called) but I was looking for an actual hotel, besides the Super 8, the only thing i have found is in Paintsville... is that right?? I am hoping to go this weekend and want to get everything figured out as much as I can. Thanks!
Yes paintsville is about 15 minutes from big sandy. The good thing about staying there is there are a few places to eat and also Walmart is over there. If you have any other questions just ask! Have a great visit!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MelE12 For This Useful Post:
BooThang2018 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Nationwide Boss 'B'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfaluchi View Post
I know I'm a little late but it depends on the Penitentiary. If the person who is visiting has been on the list less than 3-5 years then u don't have to do it again. However they do have a new warden so who knows. But it shouldn't take but a couple of days to approve u since u were on the initial list and tell him make sure his case manager stays on top of it. I know of a couple of woman that waited a month or two because the paperwork was not put in.
Sorry for the late reply...thank you and I sent it off last week and nothing yet. this is a roller coaster ride. smh hanging in there though-thanks again
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Maine318

Does anyone know if they are on lockdown? I haven't gotten my normal phone calls since the weekend

Old 02-13-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if they are on lockdown? I haven't gotten my normal phone calls since the weekend
I think they are on lockdown because I haven't heard from him since yesterday early afternoon.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 AM

Default Do they ever answer??

I have called (USP Big Sandy) quite a few times and they never answer...any suggestions?? Thx..
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Nationwide Boss 'B'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrose View Post
I have called (USP Big Sandy) quite a few times and they never answer...any suggestions?? Thx..
Yes they answer. you have to make sure you are not calling during count times.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Nationwide Boss 'B'!

Has anyone gotten a call from their lo? I haven't heard from him since Friday and he normally calls daily.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM

I have received emails until early this afternoon and haven't heard anything since. Sometimes they put just a specific unit on lockdown so it's possible your lo has been locked down all weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to MelE12 For This Useful Post:
Lotus4him (02-24-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Nationwide Boss 'B'!

Where is everyone at? Does anyone have a lo in b3? If so have u gotten a call from them from. Sunday til today? I'm worried about my babe..thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Chaparra956

Thumbs down

It Sux My BF Is In The Shu, Got Caught With Alcohol ugh i just wish he would stop being such a trouble maker!! Does anyone know more or less how long he'll probly be in the shu??
Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 PM

I'm new to this website and Big Sandy. Can anyone tell me anything about the prison?? I plan on visiting once a month and I;m curious about the visitations, how they work and things like that. Also if anyone knows about the Haven Ministries?? And my last question...is there any way to make calls cheaper than $3.45? I tried google voice with no luck and I have a 606 area code on a second line but its just as expensive as when he calls my ohio line. Any info is appreciated...anyone from Ohio please let me know
Old 03-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,670 Times in 13,050 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. All I can answer about is the bop inmate phone system. The only possibility for less expensive phone calls that are not a violation of the prohibition against call forwarding (which google voice is, and which can cost him his phone privileges for a very long time) is getting a cell phone with a local number to the prison. Of course you have to also pay for that phone, but the prison charge for the calls drops from 23 cents/min to 6 cents/min. The cell phone can be physically located anywhere, but the phone that is called has to be the phone that actually rings.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Chaparra956

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_diz83 View Post
I'm new to this website and Big Sandy. Can anyone tell me anything about the prison?? I plan on visiting once a month and I;m curious about the visitations, how they work and things like that. Also if anyone knows about the Haven Ministries?? And my last question...is there any way to make calls cheaper than $3.45? I tried google voice with no luck and I have a 606 area code on a second line but its just as expensive as when he calls my ohio line. Any info is appreciated...anyone from Ohio please let me know

My Bf said the cheapest way is to have an area code from there which is why i tried getting the google voice but my phone doesnt get the app so i need a newer phone. Hope things get better for you
Old 03-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,670 Times in 13,050 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Google voice is considered call forwarding by the bop. If an inmate gets caught call forwarding, the punishment is usually the loss of all phone privileges for from 6 months to one year. It's up to you guys if you want to risk it or not.

If you can get your cell phone carrier to change your cellphone number to a number that is a local call from the prison (both area code and call prefix, not just the area code), that is not call forwarding according to the bop because the phone number that is dialed is the number that rings, even if the phone is physically located somewhere else. The difference in cost for the inmate phone system is 6 cents/min instead of 23 cents/min for long distance.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
MiniMoose (03-16-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 PM

Im new to this whole prison thing so i have a few questions my husband is an illegal immigrant and was trannsferred to big sandy about 2 months ago. He told me he is in a different housing unit than the regular prison its for his protection they say but he isnt allowed phone calls only once amonth and he isnt allowed in the yard basically he is in the whole yet he didnt do anything they said he is in transit and they have to keep him inthe whole til he is transferred out but they said it could be anywhere from 6 months to a year but he is allowed to have visits they are fridays 8:30 to 3:30! Does anyone know anything about this? Is all this true? Can they do that? I want to call n ask but im afraid it may get him in trouble!! Somebody please help me also how are the visits i tried to read the regulations but i couldnt get them to download! Please help me!!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 PM

Any info on big sandy would be greatly appreciated my husband and I have been together for 13 years now and have 4 children together please help us n give us some heads up about visits i would hate to drive all the way there with 4 kids to be turned away foran honest mistake n my childrens hearts would just break knowing they came this far only to be turned away. My husband is serving a 4 years sentence and has 2 done but unfortunately we never got to visit with him until now he was always so far n it is too hard for me to travel with 2 jobs and 4 children

Last edited by LNaranjo; 03-20-2013 at 09:47 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Maine318

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNaranjo View Post
Any info on big sandy would be greatly appreciated my husband and I have been together for 13 years now and have 4 children together please help us n give us some heads up about visits i would hate to drive all the way there with 4 kids to be turned away foran honest mistake n my childrens hearts would just break knowing they came this far only to be turned away. My husband is serving a 4 years sentence and has 2 done but unfortunately we never got to visit with him until now he was always so far n it is too hard for me to travel with 2 jobs and 4 children
Hey! I have 2 kids and we go every 3 months (traveling from sc) its just like most prisons. You can only bring change, no bills. Up until recently the kids couldn't sit with them. Last time we went theyvwere able to sit I'm.his lap, but jot next time him. You have to sit across from them. All food you buy must be removed from the wrapper and put on a paper plate, even chips. They have a room where the kids can watch some movies and they have books too. If you have any other questions you can message me :-)

Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Nationwide Boss 'B'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclopez956 View Post
My Bf said the cheapest way is to have an area code from there which is why i tried getting the google voice but my phone doesnt get the app so i need a newer phone. Hope things get better for you
yes. I tried google voice also and no numbers were available, and if u get an Inez number it is not local. dont ask I dont understand it either but I did get a number through a prepaid company so he pays .82 cents a call now. PM if you want or need the information still. best wishes all
Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Default Anyone from NC have a loved one at Big Sandy?

Does anyone from NC have a loved one at Big Sandy? If so, have you been to visit and how far from Charlotte