Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:45 PM

Question What prisons are in these cities?

My boyfriend is being moved to Waco on Friday, but only for a month or two and then he moves to El Paso for the remaining time on his sentence (4-10 months). I'm curious, what facilities are there? It's not yet posted on his online inmate information, but I keep doubting there's more than one prison in those cities because they're not very big.
Also, does anyone have any idea why here in Texas, when an inmate is released, they're released in Huntsville? I thought that was very interesting...
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2018, 06:49 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,300 Times in 14,844 Posts

There is a regional office in Waco, but no prison that I could locate. There is a State Jail in El Paso (Sanchez) and 2 District Parole offices: El Paso l (DRC) & El Paso ll, but no prison.

https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/ks_facility.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
heartabandoned2 (09-11-2018), Sarianna (09-12-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:31 PM

Thanked 10,963 Times in 5,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
There is a regional office in Waco, but no prison that I could locate. There is a State Jail in El Paso (Sanchez) and 2 District Parole offices: El Paso l (DRC) & El Paso ll, but no prison.

https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/ks_facility.html

With the short period of time described, it would seem this is indeed a State Jail sentence. Anything less than two years (save for a very few exceptions that are so rare that you almost never see them) is going to be State Jail.

There are no male facilities in Waco. At one point in time, there was a transfer facility in Marlin that was used for males, but it was converted to house females several years ago. There are others in the region, but nothing that would seem to be a temporary transient facility enroute to a State Jail Facility. I could also envision a small county transferring to a Contract bed in McLennan County to await transfer to Sanchez.

It would help more to know what county the current convictions are out of and what may still be pending...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
heartabandoned2 (09-12-2018), patchouli (09-11-2018), Sarianna (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
With the short period of time described, it would seem this is indeed a State Jail sentence. Anything less than two years (save for a very few exceptions that are so rare that you almost never see them) is going to be State Jail.

There are no male facilities in Waco. At one point in time, there was a transfer facility in Marlin that was used for males, but it was converted to house females several years ago. There are others in the region, but nothing that would seem to be a temporary transient facility enroute to a State Jail Facility. I could also envision a small county transferring to a Contract bed in McLennan County to await transfer to Sanchez.

It would help more to know what county the current convictions are out of and what may still be pending...

The current convictions are out of Odessa (Ector County). And what is still pending is possession. He definitely got lucky with the DA because they were trying to give him 10 years and he walked away with 4. Heís already done 1 year and he is eligible for parole now but he wanted to wait 6 months before going up for it because he wanted to show that he has done his time and learned his lesson. My sister and I were talking and she said he should try to get parole now because there arenít any beds which is why heís been in Ector for so long. I really donít know much about Texas prisons, which is why itís so confusing, but youíre probably right, he may just be going to a county jail

Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Thanked 10,963 Times in 5,948 Posts

Now I am thoroughly confused about where and how Waco enters the equation. What is described, in terms of sentence length, is a non-State Jail Felony. This would mean an Ector County case enters through Middleton in Abilene.

After intake, there could be a transfer ANYWHERE in the agency.

He does not get a choice in when to 'go up for' parole. When eligible, they are interviewed and voted. AND, with a four-year sentence, by having waited so long, he screwed himself since programming options are no longer on the table. This means the first vote will likely be a Serve-All that takes him to the Discretionary Mandatory Supervision date (comes around the one year and ten month mark on a four year sentence).

I don't know where the claim comes in about a lack of beds. There is no bed shortage in TDCJ. In fact, there were enough EMPTY beds that TDCJ has actually CLOSED male facilities in the past few years and converted some bedspace to house females. He is still in Ector County because he still has pending charges. Once those are disposed of, THEN he will be considered to be ready for transfer.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Now I am thoroughly confused about where and how Waco enters the equation. What is described, in terms of sentence length, is a non-State Jail Felony. This would mean an Ector County case enters through Middleton in Abilene.

After intake, there could be a transfer ANYWHERE in the agency.

He does not get a choice in when to 'go up for' parole. When eligible, they are interviewed and voted. AND, with a four-year sentence, by having waited so long, he screwed himself since programming options are no longer on the table. This means the first vote will likely be a Serve-All that takes him to the Discretionary Mandatory Supervision date (comes around the one year and ten month mark on a four year sentence).

I don't know where the claim comes in about a lack of beds. There is no bed shortage in TDCJ. In fact, there were enough EMPTY beds that TDCJ has actually CLOSED male facilities in the past few years and converted some bedspace to house females. He is still in Ector County because he still has pending charges. Once those are disposed of, THEN he will be considered to be ready for transfer.

Well thatís what Iím saying, I really donít understand how Texas does things. Iím from Colorado and the inmates have a choice on if they want to serve their sentence or go up for parole if they are eligible. But he has been transferred as of the night before last, waiting until he has been processed to hear from him.