Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Colorado that do not fit into any other Colorado sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,702 Posts
Default Where are Cool places to visit in Colorado

I am headed to Colorado next week and I am looking for some cool places to visit, I will heading to Denver Aspen Florence and Buena Vista. Any suggestions of must see places are welcome.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
I am headed to Colorado next week and I am looking for some cool places to visit, I will heading to Denver Aspen Florence and Buena Vista. Any suggestions of must see places are welcome.
I think Mother Cabrini Shrine in Denver is beautiful. I am no longer a practicing Catholic but I am a Christian and I just think this place is gorgeous.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
maytayah (03-13-2018), xolady (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 18,156 Times in 6,615 Posts

Rocky Mountain National Park!! It's a full day plus if you really want to see it and a little spendy to get in. But honestly one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited and especially in the late winter/early spring. I felt completely comfortable entering and wandering through solo. It's huge, but staying on the paved roads gives you a wonderful opportunity to see both the landscape and the wildlife.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-13-2018), maytayah (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
I think Mother Cabrini Shrine in Denver is beautiful. I am no longer a practicing Catholic but I am a Christian and I just think this place is gorgeous.

I am not a practicing catholic either but I appreciate anywhere that has a sense of peace. Thank you

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-13-2018), miamac (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Rocky Mountain National Park!! It's a full day plus if you really want to see it and a little spendy to get in. But honestly one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited and especially in the late winter/early spring. I felt completely comfortable entering and wandering through solo. It's huge, but staying on the paved roads gives you a wonderful opportunity to see both the landscape and the wildlife.

Yes I looked at this on the web I think its got to be a must do as it looks breath taking . Thank you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-13-2018), miamac (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 03:04 PM

My friend moved to Colorado from New Jersey last year and she loves it! All the pictures she shows me makes it tempting to go visit! Hopefully one day I do. I hope you enjoy your visit!
The Following User Says Thank You to lolo21216 For This Useful Post:
maytayah (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
I am not a practicing catholic either but I appreciate anywhere that has a sense of peace. Thank you
Make sure you take the 373 steps to the top. Beautiful view!

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
maytayah (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:50 PM

Thanked 10,836 Times in 5,895 Posts

How long are you there for and are you renting a car or dependent on other modes of transportation?

There are plenty of places that will be snow-covered now that would look very different during a summer/fall trip, and being able to see the same places in different settings was something I found fascinating during my travels out there. However, a lot of my Colorado travel was in the southern part of the State (Durango, Pagosa Springs).

Be prepared to stay well-hydrated. The altitude takes a toll, especially the first few days (I flew out one night for a game in Boulder and then back to Denver for the flight the next morning). You mention Aspen...be advised that first-aid stations in the ski areas will have canulas available to hook you up to oxygen. Do not be afraid to use it if you get a little green around the gills...altitude sickness is a real thing. I can remember as a kid getting to the balcony the first night just in time to toss my dinner and some other stomach contents into the snow below.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (03-14-2018), maytayah (03-14-2018), nancyginnm (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:10 PM
Donation Award 

Do you have your route planned out? For the places you mention are not close to Rocky Mountain National Park. How many days will you be here? Where are you planning on staying the nights?
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse1 For This Useful Post:
maytayah (03-16-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:29 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 18,156 Times in 6,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Be prepared to stay well-hydrated. The altitude takes a toll, especially the first few days (I flew out one night for a game in Boulder and then back to Denver for the flight the next morning).
Oh, so true. Bloody nose on my drive from Denver to Boulder the day after arriving. :/
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
xolady (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 03:50 AM

I really enjoyed Garden of the Gods (SO beautiful!), Botanical Gardens (nice for a relaxing walk), Red Rocks (lots of cool events usually going on here - like gigs etc) and Denver Aquarium (sometimes you've just got to get excited about Nemo!).
There's a few real nice places to eat too, they were all mostly in Downtown Denver.

Hope you have a great trip!
The Following User Says Thank You to genrecore For This Useful Post:
maytayah (03-16-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 03:52 PM

Thank you everyone for the tips I have to say Aspen , Breckenridge and Buena Vista are breathtaking the mountain views are out of this world. Everywhere was snow covered and I had the most amazing time in the area.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (03-28-2018), nancyginnm (03-27-2018), onedayatatime13 (03-27-2018), Revenwyn (05-11-2018), Sarianna (03-28-2018), xolady (03-27-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:45 PM

Colorado is over-rated, over-populated, and too expensive
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Thanked 10,836 Times in 5,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateCir View Post
Colorado is over-rated, over-populated, and too expensive
Many would disagree. There are LOTS of places that are far from populated and have very breath-taking views while retaining a lot of serenity. I still regret not having bought a place that came available on the San Juan River very near Wolf Creek Pass.

Granted, progress since came to the area and they tunneled much of the area which inevitably brings more traffic, but there was nothing quite like sitting on the back porch and listening to the river flow even with the ice layer on top.

Expensive is a matter of opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
nancyginnm (07-12-2018)