Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:22 AM
BOP VACATION IS OVER!!!!

Default federal halfway house

From what I am reading on a few post's, is it that usually you can only go to a halfway house for the last 10% of your sentence? Or is it the last 6 months of your sentence? OR is it whenever they feel like doing the transfer paperwork? Doe's it depend on your crime? What are the determining factors? I have read on a few posts when I followed the dates and it seems some are going before the actual 10% mark? I am being sent to a LOVELY detention center over 600 miles away instead of actual federal prison closer to home and I am wonder if that is because my crime level is so low, that I will be transfer to a halway house at the 6 months remaining mark? The probation officer told my lawyer I would be able to be moved for the remaining 4 months of my sentence? Where he came up with that figure (4 months) I have no idea. But at any rate any info or input would be appreciated.....
Holly
P.S......Fed-X, You have no idea how much this web site has helped me out with info in the last few weeks.....Thank You!!!!! Also much thanks to the people who are on this sight that are very knowledgable and willing to help to make this ugly situation that I am facing into a much easier time....Again, Thank You to all whom have helped......
Holly
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Donation Award 

I believe the rule is 10% or 6 months at the max. So for example, if your sentence is a year and a day....you would not get the 6 months.

Not everyone can go to a CCC/Halfway house. I don't think those charged with "violent" crimes can go. I could be wrong so hopefully someone will come verify this.

Diane
Old 02-06-2004, 06:09 AM

Hi, my husband recently asked many of the same questions you've written. So I've been hunting for answers. One very good read is PS 7300.09 Community Corrections Manual which can be downloaded via Acrobat Reader. It is published by the US Department of Justice. Tells you all you ever wanted to know about who, what, how, when , where, and why's the halfway houses are supposed to abide by. On the time line, the BOP's interpretation of 10% means 10% of your time served not the time sentenced or six months whichever is less; however, I found a case sited here in which the federal judge rendering the sentence specified the distribution of time sentenced to x amount of incarceration in a facility and x amount in a halfway house. This was considered a departure in sentencing but binding. Halfway houses can be utilized for MORE than the 10% which the BOP policy is ultilizing. I read an article
by someone in the justice system encouraging them to be used to a greater extent.
For CCC directory briefs go to the BOP site and do a search for CCC. There are several memos on it written by the current director to CCC directors. Hope this helps.
Oh, to my knowledge offender category doesn't have as much to do with placement as flight risk or so it is for facility assignment. Hope some of this helps you. Best wishes wherever your federal tour takes you and in life beyond this BOP time. ~ WJ
Old 02-06-2004, 07:19 AM
BOP VACATION IS OVER!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly6005
From what I am reading on a few post's, is it that usually you can only go to a halfway house for the last 10% of your sentence? Or is it the last 6 months of your sentence? OR is it whenever they feel like doing the transfer paperwork? Doe's it depend on your crime? What are the determining factors? I have read on a few posts when I followed the dates and it seems some are going before the actual 10% mark? I am being sent to a LOVELY detention center over 600 miles away instead of actual federal prison closer to home and I am wonder if that is because my crime level is so low, that I will be transfer to a halway house at the 6 months remaining mark? The probation officer told my lawyer I would be able to be moved for the remaining 4 months of my sentence? Where he came up with that figure (4 months) I have no idea. But at any rate any info or input would be appreciated.....
Holly
P.S......Fed-X, You have no idea how much this web site has helped me out with info in the last few weeks.....Thank You!!!!! Also much thanks to the people who are on this sight that are very knowledgable and willing to help to make this ugly situation that I am facing into a much easier time....Again, Thank You to all whom have helped......
Holly
..........My entire sentence is 10 months.....charge is "making a false statement on a loan application....
Old 02-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Been there...did that

I think you need a sentence of at least a year and a day for halfway house
Old 02-22-2004, 06:00 PM

Default halfway house placement

My sweetie was sent to a halfway house in Waco, Tx before he even knew what was going on! He went on May 29th-Oct 4th of 2003. They let him come home on Oct 5th and had to self surrender on Oct 27th to FCI Beaumont. This is kinda backwards isn't it!!? Does this mean he won't be eligible for halfway house on his sentence??? Is this considered already doing the halfway house?? I don't know. He got 10 yrs for felon in possession of a firearm.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Donation Award 

Thats strange....

But as far as I know...anyone charged with a firearm is not elligible for halfway house. Atleast in our case...and a few others around here.

You might want to look into that...and if you find a loop hole...I'd be interested in hearing it.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:04 PM

When I was in FPC Bryan the BOP changed their policy on halfway houses. You can no longer be sent to halfway house before your 10% date. We had women actually being released on the day this new rule came out and they were brought back to the units. The only exception to this is if you complete boot camp or the RDAP program.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:13 PM

Right, Diane. Billy has a gun charge, and he can't get anything other than good behavior.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:29 PM

I don't know about any loopholes...we just know how it happened in his case. I'm just wondering if that will make him NOT eligible for it when he gets released.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Liberty Tree

Every inmate is eligible for halfway house placement. It does not matter if they have been convicted for a crime of violence, a firearm charge, etc... They are still eligible. Whether they go or not is a different story. If an inmate is denied halfway house on the sole reason that they were convicted of a 'crime of violence' then someone has mis-interpreted the policy. They only inmates that I have ever seen denied halfway house placement were those inmates who refused to participate in the "Inmate Fanicial Responsibility Program". Outside of that, I have seen inmates with all types of gun related offenses go, drug offenses, sex related offense, go to halfway house.

As for length of sentence, if you're serving a sentence, you're eligible. Odds are good that if you're serving a sentence of less than 10-11 months, it will be more difficult for you to go to a halfway house. But.... your still eligible.

Greyghost
Old 02-23-2004, 09:18 AM

You got 10 months for making a false statement on a loan application!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, has anyone ever heard on Enron????

The U.S. Justice system is just so lopsided and twisted...........
Old 02-23-2004, 10:00 AM
BOP VACATION IS OVER!!!!

Default Yes....I did

I was the manager at a mortgage company, there were several loans that I has approved/underwritten that were sold to Fannie Mae and Fredddie Mac (government owner investor loans) that went bad. Several loan officers were charged also. When investgated by the United States Secret Service, they did an audit of all loans that I touched over the last six years, They found 18 loan files that has false info or something wrong with them. Most of the loans were originated in 1998. Thus, under my plea agreement the U.S. agreed that they would not persue all of the loans if I plead guilty to 1 count of making a false statement on a loan application. None of the loans were for me, but I did know that some of the loans had false info. Another words, I NEVER thought that I would go to jail for it BUT here I am....on my way to the BOP. on my PSI the probation officer recommended that I do 30 days in jail and 5 months home incarceration-the min. The judge felt otherwise and gave me the max of 10 months. Actually the max was 12 months but then I would have been eligable for 54 good credit day so I still would have done about 10 months, I am sure she knew that also. So, Here I am with a HARD lesson learned.
Just make sure that when applying for a mortgage loan, you better not lie about anything. There is a big thing right now about this because of the interest rates being so low, you wouldn't beleive what some people try to do to be able to get a great rate.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Sounds unfair to me....

It sounds really unfair to me. It also seems that your probation oficer is a better judge of the situation than the judge you got.

You see, in Canada its totally different. To find corruption, money laundering and false loan applications, we simply look to our own wonderful Federal Government!

Take Care
Old 02-24-2004, 09:31 AM

Wow, Holly, your story hits home hard as I do mortgage closings.
Just curious - if you don't mind - what about the borrowers who signed the applications??
Regarding your sentence - just goes to show you that we cannot begin to count on what our counsel may think the judge will do....
Wow..I'm dumbfounded.
Let me not end there and say - bless you for being so brave to find out all you can before you go - the more you know of what to expect has to be helpful. I will be glad to help support you with letters of encouragement while you're gone, if you like.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:06 PM
BOP VACATION IS OVER!!!!

Default 2 Borrowers were indicted

So far that I know, 2 borrwoers were also indicted, loan officers, and TITLE company closing agents...Very shaking teritory. I never dreamed I would get what I did, But thats that and I did, so like I said be very careful about what you are doing. The federal government is cracking down big time in this aspesct of fraud. They are taking millions of dollars in loses, BEWARE on any loan that you originate, process, and/or close.....Holly
Old 02-24-2004, 01:53 PM

Thanks SO MUCH for sharing, Holly - I don't mean to beat this to death, but....
did the borrower, loan officer and closing agent all know there was fraudulent information or activity going on and all knowingly take part? Any realtors involved?
How was the closing agent wrongly involved - to do with funds from the borrower, notarization, verification of their identity, knowledge of outside funding??
With all the identity stealing these days, and so much "flipping" of property, it really makes me worry about what to look for so that I don't unknowingly take part in something.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:36 PM
BOP VACATION IS OVER!!!!

Default You said it....

Title company rep knew the down payment funds were coming from the seller and not the buyer, inflated sales price to cover the down payment. I know a few realtors are being looked at but not sure if the actually have been charged yet, but most likely will be. Are you familar with ABN Amro loans? Those are the ones you need to be leary about...Holly