Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The Nimuay Domestic Violence Support Forum
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Nimuay Domestic Violence Support Forum News and information relating to domestic violence in general. Please post here if you don't see a sub-forums that fits better.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:02 PM

Default Another domestic for my friend.

I have a bud who clearly has domestic violence issues. Six years ago he served 9 months for beating up a girlfriend and charged with a felony. Then he got a misdemeanor assault charge (not domestic), and just when he was about to finish anger management classes and begin psychiatric treatment, something he's needed all along, what did he do but beat yet another girlfiend up, causing significant injury. As what sounds too familiar with this domestic stuff, she said she wasnt going to press charges; and they kept seeing each other right after. Exactly two months later she decided to press charges and he's now been charged with a Class 2 Felony domestic battery. He's accepted the fact he's facing prison time again, and does have a lawyer who specializes in domestic cases; but my question is; will the fact she waited so long to press charges have any bearing on his case? This is in the city of Chicago.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetman View Post
I have a bud who clearly has domestic violence issues. Six years ago he served 9 months for beating up a girlfriend and charged with a felony. Then he got a misdemeanor assault charge (not domestic), and just when he was about to finish anger management classes and begin psychiatric treatment, something he's needed all along, what did he do but beat yet another girlfiend up, causing significant injury. As what sounds too familiar with this domestic stuff, she said she wasnt going to press charges; and they kept seeing each other right after. Exactly two months later she decided to press charges and he's now been charged with a Class 2 Felony domestic battery. He's accepted the fact he's facing prison time again, and does have a lawyer who specializes in domestic cases; but my question is; will the fact she waited so long to press charges have any bearing on his case? This is in the city of Chicago.
I honestly don't think it matters if she waited two month to report your friend or not because you don't know if he's tried to hit her again within those two months of seeing eachother. If he already has an issue with domestic violence and he's still not had treatment then how could anyone expect him to change?
Old 02-17-2020, 08:36 AM

I no in NYS they tell you to do it 72 hrs from when it happened cause if you wait to long the bruises or what not can start fading I guess every state is different they might ask why she waited so long to say something the defense can use that when they go to court
Old 02-17-2020, 08:48 AM

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,877 Posts

From what I just looked up the statue of limitations in Illinois is 3 years for felony and 18 months for misdemeanor DV.

Waiting to file can be for a myriad of reasons. The victim needs to process the event. Some take action immediately and others questions the traumatic event.
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-22-2020)