Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:38 AM
<-GE M-1000

Default School Bus Driver Sentenced.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/school-...-no-jail-time/

He gets 10 years' probation, is on the registry as a level 1 and has sparked outrage. The reason why I am posting this here is I, as well as many of us here, have had firsthand experience in the criminal justice system. So I do have an understanding of what he will have to face. First off, any form of passenger transport is now out! Finito! Gone! I bet he couldn't get in with Uber nor Lyft either at this point. Second, right now his employment prospects are now limited. So he'll have a long difficult journey ahead. Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2019, 06:40 AM

This is my first time hearing of this case. I'm very disappointed to hear this but also not surprised smh.
The Following User Says Thank You to DailyLimitReach For This Useful Post:
joybubby (05-29-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:51 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,251 Times in 4,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post

He gets 10 years' probation, is on the registry as a level 1 and has sparked outrage. The reason why I am posting this here is I, as well as many of us here, have had firsthand experience in the criminal justice system. So I do have an understanding of what he will have to face. First off, any form of passenger transport is now out! Finito! Gone! I bet he couldn't get in with Uber nor Lyft either at this point. Second, right now his employment prospects are now limited. So he'll have a long difficult journey ahead. Thoughts?
He has admitted to rape of person under the age of consent. Are you seriously suggesting that the main concern here is whether he can get an Uber and his future employment prospects?

My concern is that he has been sentenced very lightly in comparison with others. I suggest those with relatives serving a long prison sentence for the same crime or less have a strong case for being aggrieved that he isn't serving prison time.

In the UK sentences can be reviewed or overturned due to public opinion. That means an increase or decrease in sentence. I would hope this sentence is looked at and reviewed taking into account the severity of the crime and the victim impact.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.

Last edited by maytayah; 05-03-2019 at 06:58 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
DailyLimitReach (05-03-2019), joybubby (05-29-2019), orchibu (05-04-2019), sidewalker (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,491 Times in 12,953 Posts

The most offensive thing for me is the judge's reasoning for issuing the lenient sentence: he only raped one child !
Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 AM

It is sentences like these that help, as well as hurt cases like my husband's. He is awaiting sentencing for possession of CP. By bringing this sentence to the news you rile up (imo, rightfully so in a way) those who believe it's an outrageous sentence for someone who purposely raped a child. Ultimately there will be those who will start campaigning for higher sentences for ANYONE with any sort of SO charge that involves minors in any way. Then there are the ones who look at cases like my husband's and wonder why the DA is going to push that he spend 5 years in prison when he never had contact with a child and this man got 10 years of probation and listed as a Tier 1 offender.

Either way there does not seem to be a public agreement on my husband's crime, nor in my opinion, an understanding. I have found while talking to people in general about my husband's case in particular they either A) equate it to molestation and believe he deserves the harshest sentence he can get or B) believe it is nothing to be concerned about and he should receive no punishment what so ever. I would like to see a happy medium where people understand it better and realize that Yes, it is a crime... yes, it is wrong and some sort of punishment is deserved and yet still make the punishment fit the crime and not sentence someone for more time for this than one gets for actual physical or even Internet (chatting..etc) contact with a minor.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:45 PM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
It is sentences like these that help, as well as hurt cases like my husband's. He is awaiting sentencing for possession of CP. By bringing this sentence to the news you rile up (imo, rightfully so in a way) those who believe it's an outrageous sentence for someone who purposely raped a child. Ultimately there will be those who will start campaigning for higher sentences for ANYONE with any sort of SO charge that involves minors in any way. Then there are the ones who look at cases like my husband's and wonder why the DA is going to push that he spend 5 years in prison when he never had contact with a child and this man got 10 years of probation and listed as a Tier 1 offender.

Either way there does not seem to be a public agreement on my husband's crime, nor in my opinion, an understanding. I have found while talking to people in general about my husband's case in particular they either A) equate it to molestation and believe he deserves the harshest sentence he can get or B) believe it is nothing to be concerned about and he should receive no punishment what so ever. I would like to see a happy medium where people understand it better and realize that Yes, it is a crime... yes, it is wrong and some sort of punishment is deserved and yet still make the punishment fit the crime and not sentence someone for more time for this than one gets for actual physical or even Internet (chatting..etc) contact with a minor.

You're right. Anyone with a SO conviction gets lumped into the monster basket in society's eyes. It doesn't matter what the actual action was. My son has said that he feels like people look at him as the result if Hitler & Satan had a baby.

My son also has a CP conviction. He was sentenced to 10 years but only had to serve 6 months, the rest was probation. It was his only conviction but he is on the registry as a level 2 for life unless he petitions to get off in 10 years & they agree to that (yeah, right). He never made, shared or solicited images from others. He has never made any improper actions to anyone, adult or child, yet he is viewed as a monster.
When I see people that actually physically harm or take advantage of someone get a more lenient sentence it really bothers me. I don't excuse CP. There are victims there too but the harshest sentences should go to those who produce it & exploit the people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (05-05-2019), sidewalker (05-06-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post

We live in an era where stating simple facts seems to be seen as hateful. The practice of that head-in-the-sand tactic tends to make it difficult for some people to accept some things.

Yes, a grown man having sex with an 8th grade girl is not something that opens career doors for you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
maytayah (05-20-2019), safran (05-20-2019), SBJOHNSON (05-21-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 PM

Today in our town a Man took a plea deal, the girl in this case is 17, and not her first accusation against a person, several different persons she says raped her at different times. The towns take on this is that he is innocent, but if he hadn’t took a plea, his lawyer said at trial he was going to get many, many years. This man is a Captain on the Fire department and has in his career had access to over 20 girls and never a complaint. He will be sentenced in August. Now her and her family are suing the County for 500,000$. This will be her second settlement that she has won in the last 2 years for the same crime different person. There is no evidence and no dna, just he said she said, but he couldn’t take a chance on a jury trial, the girls lawyer wanted a change of venue. I wish they could make her take a lie detector test, I know they don’t hold up in court, but it would of kept from ruining his life.

OWL