Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:39 PM

Default Victims who make contact

My understanding is that there is not to be contact with the victims....but contact FROM them is prohibited as well unless they go through victim services. I read it somewhere and cannot find it now. If anyone has a link to that info, I'd be grateful. We have the victim making several attempts and I want to be sure to cover our bases that we aren't the ones ending up in trouble.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2018, 09:43 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,660 Times in 14,992 Posts

I don't have the link you're looking for....is it a state statute? Parole restriction?

Document, document, document...and do not talk to them, text them, write them etc.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Memphis4family (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 09:45 PM

Thanked 11,021 Times in 5,974 Posts

You show a Texas location, and this response is keyed to Texas practice. There is nothing in the law that precludes a victim from reaching out to the person who harmed them. Contact at the unit will generally only occur under the auspices of the Victim Offender Mediation program. Further, the mere fact that the victim reaches out via jpay or regular mail will not be a defense if the offender replies outside of the VOMP or without having routed the reply through their attorney...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-05-2018), Memphis4family (06-05-2018), nimuay (06-06-2018), patchouli (06-06-2018), safran (06-05-2018), Sarianna (06-06-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 PM

Thank you for replying, we are in Texas. My husband is on parole. I documented everything. Should I contact his po? My husband isn't home, he's in a transitional home 5 hours away. I know I read somewhere that they are not to contact us either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I don't have the link you're looking for....is it a state statute? Parole restriction?

Document, document, document...and do not talk to them, text them, write them etc.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,162 Times in 11,768 Posts

Your husband should discuss it with his parole officer right away. The same with any other questions that come up that concern him/you about his actual parole conditions. The PO is the one person who can decide if he is violating any of his parole conditions, so if it was me, I would be sure to talk directly with the PO.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:56 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,371 Times in 7,490 Posts

I'm speaking generally. Follow CenTex for TX specific information or contact a local lawyer for specifics.

Generally, there is no prohibition against a victim contacting their offender. It is sometimes a process they go through to get closure to the whole sense of violation they feel with the crime. Sometimes they are offering their forgiveness after their own healing process. Sometimes not.

Here's the thing - he cannot answer. He cannot contact his victim without the permission of his PO, and in some jurisdictions, without being totally off paper outside of a victim/offender interaction organized through a prison. It doesn't matter what the victim says - he cannot contact the victim.

So, let's say the victim says, "I forgive you." Fine. Don't reply saying, "thank you."

Let's say the victim wants to know something - were you on drugs, what were you thinking, do you have any idea what you did to me and my family - that sort of thing. Don't answer. This is not permission to violate the law and reply. Your reply is contact with the victim in violation of parole restrictions.

Let's say the victim says something along the lines of a threat - I'm going to get you or harm somebody you love. This is still not an excuse to contact the victim. In fact, even if there is no legal reason standing in the way of contact, contacting somebody issuing a threat generally escalates things making them more dangerous. So no matter how you feel, you can't contact the victim. However, you can protect yourself as threats are threats and a written threat can be grounds for getting a protective order against the victim, preventing that person from further contact.

Generally, you don't even want to open the envelope. Instead, approach your PO or your therapist about it so that everything can be documented and an appropriate course of action can be charted. If you are worried about the legality of anything, you need to contact a duly licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-06-2018), FuturMrsHouston (06-15-2018), Memphis4family (06-05-2018), nimuay (06-06-2018), Sarianna (06-06-2018), sidewalker (06-08-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 11:12 PM

Thank y'all for the support and responses. She hasn't contacted him....she has contacted the ministry director and myself via social media. We did both respond to her. My husband has not had any contact with her whatsoever. Its really unnerving. It's like reverse harrassment. But that's why I had mentioned myself calling his po because the contact was w me. Whatever I find out, I'll follow up here and let y'all know. Anymore insight is always welcome. Thanks, so grateful for this sight!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Memphis4family For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-06-2018), patchouli (06-06-2018), Sarianna (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 07:17 AM
Parole Officer

I would suggest no response at all or it could look like 3rd party contact. I would definitely tell his officer and if it continues, start making police reports to show a track record.

Depending on the jurisdiction, the PO may not have the authority to allow contact.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WA CCO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-06-2018), nimuay (06-06-2018), patchouli (06-06-2018), Sarianna (06-06-2018), sidewalker (06-08-2018), yourself (06-06-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 05:19 AM

Thanked 11,021 Times in 5,974 Posts

Keep the PO in the loop. Do not reply to the social media postings.

While there are provisions by which Condition V can be removed, it basically has to be initiated by the victim. You can read about that process on the Board's website under the relevant policy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
nimuay (06-07-2018), sidewalker (06-08-2018), xolady (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 08:21 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,328 Times in 14,296 Posts

If you can, I'd block them. (on the social media)
Dont respond if you cant block them.

Im sorry this is happening, and I hope you do come back and let us know what was said by his PO. (if you can)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:10 AM

Thanked 1,146 Times in 575 Posts

While on a completely different level, my husband and I have had to deal with his ex-wife harassing him and we have tried a lot of what the other posters have mentioned. Hence, blocking her won't mean anything as she won't necessarily know she is blocked and she may keep trying to contact you. Also, if she doesn't know she's blocked, you have no idea if her posts or comments are getting more aggressive. We found out that my husband's ex didn't know she was blocked from text messaging and just kept sending us texts thinking he was getting them. We ultimately unblocked her, so we would have a documented record of the texts messages for the police.

So, that said. Not that this victim, who you have to remember, is a victim, (while my husband's ex is not) is trying to harass or threaten or harm you, is doing anything wrong, you still need to document everything. Take screen shots of all her postings to you and/or him and anyone. Save them. Contact your attorney, who then may be able to contact her attorney and find out what she wants. You can also call the police and notify them, and perhaps they can find out what she wants. If you can avoid your husband getting involved, I would do so at all costs, but if not, then definitely contact everyone who can protect him so that it is also documented, including the PO. But make sure it's in written form and you have proof of that. I've learned you cannot trust any of these people. So if you tell the PO make sure it's in writing and that it's documented what they say/write back. You never want it to bite your husband later that the PO claims he wasn't aware of it.

To me, I would go through the attorneys first as that keeps your husband directly out of it, especially since she contacted you anyway and attorney to attorney is not him making contact, plus if you can show the original contact made to you, then that will show that she reached out to you first.

Protect yourself as well, as if the crime against her was a bad one, you definitely do not want this to be any sort of set up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-10-2018), FuturMrsHouston (06-15-2018), patchouli (06-10-2018), sidewalker (06-11-2018)