Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:23 PM

Thanked 1,235 Times in 628 Posts
Default GED Teaching Jobs

My husband is a GED tutor at his prison and really enjoying it. He would like to do some GED tutoring when he gets out, paid or unpaid. Does anyone know where there are GED programs offered and if a felon can get a job as a GED tutor? Do community colleges offer GED programs or somewhere else? Or, would he just have to find someplace to volunteer as a GED tutor? That's fine too, although he has something else in mind for charitable work to give back to those less fortunate and wasn't planning on it being the GED tutoring.

If GED classes are taught at community colleges, does anyone know if those jobs are restricted for felons? I know felons cannot work in public schools, but not sure if that includes colleges.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2018, 08:10 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,493 Times in 11,920 Posts

I don't know, sorry.

Goodwill industries has many classes for released prisoners, so he may be able to tutor there. He can also research any other organizations that help released prisoners.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:29 AM

Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,089 Posts

I teach GED prep now and then, but I have a masters degree. I think you need some variety of degree to actually teach the course. Tutoring is a whole different animal though, so I think that’s a good avenue to pursue. He could speak with the director of homeless shelters or halfway houses nearby and offer his services or see if he can post a flyer.

If the community college is a private, for-profit place, they would have their own rules for hiring felons, but I doubt a tutor would actually be a staffed position. I imagine there’s a commons area where he could advertise, but someone in the commons area of a college probably isn’t seeking a GED. I’m just rambling now. Good luck to you.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:46 AM

Thanked 1,235 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I teach GED prep now and then, but I have a masters degree. I think you need some variety of degree to actually teach the course. Tutoring is a whole different animal though, so I think that’s a good avenue to pursue. He could speak with the director of homeless shelters or halfway houses nearby and offer his services or see if he can post a flyer.

If the community college is a private, for-profit place, they would have their own rules for hiring felons, but I doubt a tutor would actually be a staffed position. I imagine there’s a commons area where he could advertise, but someone in the commons area of a college probably isn’t seeking a GED. I’m just rambling now. Good luck to you.
He has an advanced professional degree, so that wouldn't be a problem as far as being qualified. So he can check that box off! I forgot until earlier this morning that for a few years he was volunteering through our county with a literacy program so maybe he can contact the manager of that program and do something with that again. I don't think they know he was ever indicted, or he had passed a previous background check if that had been required, and he had glowing recommendations from his students, so I will remind him to reach out to that guy and see if he can hook him up again to do that, even if just for volunteering as he definitely wants to be able to continue to do it and give back in some fashion.

When I said tutor, I should have qualified that as also teaching the GED classes. He does that in the prison too as they alternate the one on one tutoring and teaching the classes as a whole. They're piloting a new program at his camp.

Also, that said, the CO running the education program there, is the best CO in the whole prison and seems to like him, would there be anything wrong with him asking the CO for a recommendation (not until he gets closer to being released) that he can use for seeking a GED job when he gets out? Afterall, if a CO can attest to the work ethic of an inmate, you would think that would say something. If he thinks my husband sucks, then he would just say no. There wouldn't be any recourse for the guy. Or my husband. My husband is a tall skinny wimpy white guy.

Last edited by rockchalk1; 05-28-2018 at 09:50 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-28-2018)