Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Indiana.

Old 10-18-2003, 03:22 AM
Account Closed

HI RACCEE WELCOME
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2003, 10:45 PM

My son is in putnamville in greencastle he has been incarracted since Nov. 2002 and just got his court hearing in Aug he will get out in Nov. 2004.

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://webapps.nerdsonsite.com/utility/countdown.cgi?year=2005&month=11&day=20&offset=-5"></script> days until my son is home again!!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:38 PM

My fiancee is in Pendleton. He's been there for 3 years, has *hopefully* less than 2 to go.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:39 AM

welcome to PTO MotM
Old 11-05-2003, 01:23 PM

Hello, My name is Nikole, obviously I'm new to this forum. My man is incarcerated at Wabash Valley Correctional Facility in Carlisle Indiana.

Nik
Old 11-05-2003, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the welcome Robin. I see your husband is in Pendy too...There's a chance we've "met" I go up about every three weeks.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:53 PM

MotM

That would have been neat to meet and not even know , i go every other weekend, i usually was going on Saturdays but I have been going on Sundays, I have also learned to go right when visiting starts, the wait isn't too long and by the time i get home i still have the rest of the day to get things done around the house
I will be going next Sunday actually, give me a hollar when you are going next so I can keep an eye out for you.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:57 PM

My son is still in the Fort Wayne Co. jail. They said he would be moved to RDC. I don't know what that means. Then from there he will be places somewhere else. I'm not really understanding all this sentencing stuff. Lawyer said he was sentenced 2 yrs. He will do 1 yr, but because her was in jail for 59 days, he will only do about 10 months. Since he was a class b, work release won't take him. This is his first offense. I feel so helpless. I pray to God to watch over him and protect him. I will be checking in more often for support. I know that I will need people to lean on. This has been so hard to cope with. I don't know who to turn to for answers. So please bear with me while I go through a grieving period. I give you all my support and pray that your love one is safe as well. Maybe someday we will meet while visiting our loved ones. I'll let you know where my son ends up. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:24 PM

ROBIN...

I normally go up on Mondays. You get more time on weekdays, and since I'm coming up from TN, the extra hour makes a HUGE difference. Looks like in Dec, I'll be able to get a Sun and Mon visit though, so I'll let you know.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:13 AM

Needinfo...

welcome to PTO !!!!

RDC, is basically a "pit stop prison" they go to RDC facility to be evaluated and to be given a DOC # and the stay is about a month (maybe a little less or a little more) then they are sent off to the prison facility that he will probably spend the rest of his time at until released. I am not real sure what the evaluation part is about, I am thinking it is they evaluate the security level your son will fall into so they know which facility to send him to.
Sorry if I confused you more than helped you.
If you have any more questions please feel free to ask I am sure some one will be able to help.

Robin
Old 11-10-2003, 10:30 PM

Thanks Robin, Do you know if they will be able to call home from RDC? Or recieve letters. I don't want to lose track of him.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:39 PM

Default branchville correctional facility

my sons father and the love of my life is at branchville.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:58 PM

needinfo,

i am sorry to say i honestly don't think they can call or write while in RDC , but I am not really sure because my husband had already been through the system when he was younger so didn't have to go back to RDC before being placed where he is now i do know there are no visitations while in RDC, they may be able to make a phone call or two while there but I really wouldn't count on it until they place him... here is the url of RDC

http://www.in.gov/indcorrection/facts/facil/recdia.html

hope this helps out a little, i am sure once he is placed he will call plus you can do an offender search after about a month and it may show you where he is if they have moved him, or i can do it for you when ever you need me to, we are all here to help one another.

Robin
Old 11-12-2003, 03:22 AM

NeedInfo...

I really doubt he will be able to call from RDC. WHY? Because he will only be there a month or so, and it can take up to 12 weeks to get a number on a call list (yes, I have a dear friend who's S/O is in a IN prison and it took 12 weeks for her! I was lucky, it took 2 weeks for me). He SHOULD be able to send you letters though, even if you can't get a letter back to him for some reason. I don't see why you couldn't send him letters though, but the correctional system is WEIRD sometimes.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:36 AM

Needinfo-

I'm positive that he can write you while in RDC, he can not call, nor can you visit. While he's there you can send him all the paper, stamps, and envelopes you want you want. Just send the stamps one book at a time. RDC usually takes from 4-6 weeks to get through but the past few months its been moving pretty quickly. My man was only there for 20 days. RDC is the place where they evaluate him, run medical tests, consider the crime committed, his criminal history, and how strong he is to determine which prison he should be sent to. If you can write him every single day b/c they are on 23 hour lockdown I believe, spending most of their day in their cells only coming out to eat and things of that nature. I think a couple of times a week they get to watch a movie and have rec, but thats it. They are especially mean there to see how much your boy can take. I know all of this because my man was just there in October. Goodluck if you have anymore questions please ask!!
Old 11-12-2003, 09:06 PM

What do you mean "and how strong he is to determine which prison he should be sent to" Does that mean he has to be strong inorder to withstand a high security or how strong to withstand low security? He's not much of a fighter and he usually backs down when talked down to. Is that going to hurt him when they decided where to send him? This is his first offense. I don't understand why they would send him somewhere where he probably won't survive. Not that he's a weak man but a gentle soul. Hummm. And the comment: "They are especially mean there to see how much your boy can take". Makes me worry even more knowing that the people at RDC are mean. God, will this ever end!!! Will it get easier?

How will I find the address to RDC to write him. When will I know he is there? Do they call you? Or do we have to wait for him to write? I hate all the not knowing what is going on. I'm so new at this. I feel I'll lose site of him.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:15 PM

My fiancee is at Westville Correctional Center. It is about a 150 mile drive from Indianapolis. The drive sucks! Anyone out there have someone in Westville?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:48 PM

Wink

Needinfo,

Hun I know this is probably easier said than done, but please try not to worry too much, your son will be fine. Your son will be evaluated on his security level, by the severity of his crime, how many offenses he has had in the past, how his conduct is while in RDC ( as in if he causes problems or not), if this is his first offense and it was a non violent crime then I doubt he would go to a max. securtiy level prison, probably more along the lines of low- medium or medium securtity prison. As for when you find out when your son makes it to RDC that will be left up to your son to write you to let you know he has made it there and I am sure that will be when you find the address to write to, but i am going to post you a url and you might want to add it to your favorite list so you can click on it and type in your son's name and do a search on him as often as you feel you need to. It is the Indiana state offenders search, you type in his name and it will bring up his name , his DOC# (if he has one issued to him yet), it will list the facility he is at, his birth date, earliest possible realease date and further on down the page it will tell you what he was charged with. You can check this page as many times as you want and it should inform you of what facility he has moved to, after he has left RDC.
Please try your best to take a step back and breath for a minute, things will be ok, I know this is still new to you and him both, but please keep faith and when all else fails, turn to your family here at PTO, we will do what we can to help ease your worries.

Robin

http://www.in.gov/serv/indcorrection_ofs
Old 11-22-2003, 07:21 AM

Default To Needinfo

My son has been there. I know it's hard for you but try to stay as calm as possible. They won't hurt him. Yes he can write to you, no phone calls. Yes they are jerks, that is to see how much you can take temper wise. My son called this place a cooling off period. If he isn't mouthy and his crime wasn't really bad he shouldn't go to a high security prison. My son did 3 yrs, in two different prisons, he is home now, he's ok. Adjusting isn't easy, but he's makeing it He says low profile is the best profile while incarcerated. After your son gets to a prison it will take "about" 10 days for his calling to be able to get thru to you. I sure am glad to hear he doesn't have to spend too much time in prison, even tho any time is heartbreaking to us.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:28 PM

Needinfo,
RDC is the Reception Diagnostic Center - it's a place they make all inmates go. While he is there, he will not be able to call you or see you but he can write and receive mail. I have the address and phone number. You will need to call to find out his bed number if you don't already know. Along with his DOC number it has to be in the address.

Reception Diagnostic Center
737 Moon Road
Plainfield, IN 46168

Phone: (317) 839-7727

Oh yeah, if you haven't received it already, anything he has in his "box" from the last place he will have to send home or throw away - including pictures they are not allowed to have them there. I got a huge box full of letters, pictures, boxers, t-shirts, socks & the clothes he was arrested in.

Last edited by hisxgirl; 11-22-2003 at 02:43 PM..
Old 11-22-2003, 10:45 PM

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to ease my mind. I found out my son is now at RDC and I have sent him a letter already. My whole family will be writing to him. We have worked out a schedule where hopefully he will get mail every day.

You have all been a God Sent to me. I hope that I can someday repay you kindness and support.

I also went to the site for offenders and found his information. Thanks for all the url sites they were very helpful.

Maybe, someday I'll will have the pleasure of meeting some of you on visiting day.

I'll keep you all posted on how my son is doing. And when I will be able to hold him in my arms again.

Again, thank you.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:33 PM

My husband is at he Wabash Valley correctional in carlisle Indiana.He has been there off and on for the past 9 almost 10 years I say off and on because for 2years he was at westville.I live about 4hours away and the drive is also very long but very worth it.He is the love of my life and my soulmate and I thank God everyday for him and pray that he is safe and soon he will be coming home to me.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:59 AM

My fiancee is at Westville Correctional Center in Westville, Indiana.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:18 AM

Default Goshen Co. (now) > RDC > ???

This is my first post at PTO - My husband is still in Goshen Co. jail, after being sentenced last Thurs., to 8 yrs. in IDOC for a class B felony possession, and as of today is still in INTAKE (6 days!). The lawyer said he would be moved to RDC probably in 7-10 days, but they haven't even moved him to a "ward" yet. ('Course the lawyer also said he'd prob. get home detention or work release, too, he had a really good job) I don't know what the hell is going on with them not moving him, and he said the conditions are disgusting, trash everywhere and toilets stopped up and so many people crammed in there they are sleeping on the floor. Anyway, once at RDC about 30-45 days, no contact but letters, then from RDC I was told he will be evaluated and placed permanantly. The judge said in court he was sentenced to 8 yrs. which is serving 4, because of the 2 for 1, and I've heard rumor of 3 for 1 (new law??). (Any info on that would be greatly appreciated!) This is his first offense ever for anything, too, absolutely non-violent personality, married almost 20 yrs., 2 kids 11 and 12, also he was totally clean at the time of sentencing, just a hard working sweet guy that made a big stupid mistake.

My questions are: #1) How legal is it that they haven't moved him out of the Intake at County and "Classified" yet, after 6 days? #2) With the things they can do to reduce their sentences, like getting his GED, taking courses, rehab, I heard even church (?) etc., which I know he'd do whatever he could, what are your opinions on what his actual time serving will be? #3) Should I make an anonomous phone call to someone like the Indiana Civil Liberties Union to see if they'd investigate this SLUM of a jail? and #4) Where do you think he'll most likely end up placed - either which CF and/or as Min or Med, or what? Will they try for closer to home because of the kids? PS, #5 would be can minor children visit their parents?

Please, Please, I've just signed up here and am very lost, and this is the one and only time I've ever posted here, and if anyone could give me a little feedback on these things I'd be very grateful. Thanks so much...
Old 11-26-2003, 05:53 AM

Default lildevil

I would "presume" your husband should be sent to RDC about anytime. The prisons here are full that might be what is taking so long. You can contact the Indiana Civil Liberties Union about the filthy conditions of the jail and they will tell you that the inmate has to write a letter himself and send it to them for the complaint. Which jail is it, if you don't mind me asking? You can call them tho and report the conditons and you don't have to be anonymous. So far there are no 3 for 1 days, sure would be nice tho! Have your husband take any classes he can, parenting, GED, "drug classes they usually don't get into until their last year of incarceration" but sign up for it anyway. There are various trade classes too he can sign up for. My son got out a year early because of takeing classes, when one was finished he would sign up for another one, and yes they have come in useful since he has come home. As long as he isn't in on a sex offence his children can visit him, but they must have sgined documents from the mother and SS numbers and birth certificates. It will depend on his "attitude" and "seriousness" of his crime on where they will place him, we never know until it's done. They DO ask them which place they would prefer to go, "Plainfield Adult Fac." is not a bad place, hint hint. Make sure he has money for commissary wherever he goes. Stay out of the gangs!!! Good luck! Mine got 8, was out in 3 because of no trouble and the classes

Last edited by amom52; 11-26-2003 at 06:01 AM..