Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 07-10-2019, 08:38 AM

Default Plea to reduce criminal charges to coherce testimony against another? Legal

Hey I'm new to this and have an important question I was hoping someone can answer

My son's girlfriend claimed he kidnapped and raped her and held her against her will and this is all false but he is charged with these crimes. She knows that the upcoming trial is going to prove he's innocent and she has been on the run to avoid the trial cause she doesn't want to testify. The trial already was continued due to she fled out of state but the cops found her and arrested her on warrants she had. She bonded out 2 weeks ago and was just arrested again on another charge and so they will now revoke her bonds to keep her in jail till next trial date in September. My question is.. Can the DA legally offer her a plea bargain to reduce her criminal charges to coherce her to testify against my son at his trial??? She knows she lied about all of this but if she's offered a deal to keep her from going to prison I'm sure she be will take it.. Either way we have an abundance of evidence and witnesses testimony to refute all of her testimony and my son will be found Not Guilty but she doesn't want to continue these lies but she may be tempted if they plea bargain with her to reduce her charges and save her butt. The judge has already said that all charges will be dismissed at next trial date if this girl doesn't testify. So does anyone know if this is Legal???

Last edited by patchouli; 07-20-2019 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 consecutive posts before moving to Prison Legal forum
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2019, 09:16 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,328 Times in 16,280 Posts

I'm not an attorney, but I think its going to depend on what the Prosecutor knows as true. If he believes she's telling the truth, it isn't illegal to offer her a deal. If he knows she lying, subornation of perjury to you a me, but for some prosecutors it could be just another day at the office.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-20-2019, 09:31 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,291 Times in 12,846 Posts

Since he has been charged with the crimes, he will have a lawyer, who will know how best to discredit her testimony. If she does testify falsely at trial, there is a chance that he will be found guilty.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Attorney

It is not at all uncommon for a victim to say one thing and then another later on as the case unfolds. Why the change is the subject of speculation: she could have lied to begin with, or, as the prosecution may allude to, she could now be coerced in some way to say something else now.

The prosecution can offer her a deal for her "truthful" testimony - they do that all the time. Your son's lawyer can use that to attack her credibility to the jury. But jury panels hear that sort of testimony all the time (e.g. witness in chains on the stand and will be released soon after they tell the "truth"). A prosecutor may even elect to bring up the deal.