Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Indiana.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:37 AM

Default They took the windows out at Westville a month ago, haven't put them back!

my son is in westville prison in indiana and i talked to him last night he was telling me they have no windows the prison workers took them and said they were going to put them back in but that was about a month ago they told the inmates they were out of caulk bull crap he said it is so cold in there and alot of the guys were sick does anyone know if there is anything i can do about this they may have done wrong but they are still human and deserve to be treated like humans NOT ANIMALS PLEASE HELP ME GET SOMETHING DONE ABOUT WESTVILLE PRISON
The Following User Says Thank You to melona For This Useful Post:
patchouli (09-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2014, 08:35 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,361 Times in 16,291 Posts

OMG! That's horrible Have you tried calling the Omsbudman for IN DOC?

Winter's coming on...its been fairly chilly the last couple of nights.

I've moved your thread to the Indiana sub-forum for prison profiles/info and would like to welcome you to PTO!

EDIT: Here is info for the DOC Omsbudman: https://secure.in.gov/idoc/2318.htm

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 09-13-2014 at 08:37 AM..
Old 09-13-2014, 11:03 AM

Thanked 1,065 Times in 514 Posts

Melons that is terrible. I don't have experience with Westville but have heard stories from others about it. Some have said that there are ice cycles sometimes inside the windows. As Patchouli said there is an Ombudsmans office. Call them, call downtown Indy to the Doc office and talk to them. Possibly call the ACLU and talk to them. I had to call the DOC downtown once on something. They were kind and for what I was calling on very helpful. As you said we are having a cold spell so it can't be comfortable. Just as a side thought are you able to put money on the books for him to get some long johns. I think they have to buy their own if they want those.
The Following User Says Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
patchouli (09-13-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 07:17 AM
moving forward...

Thanked 1,926 Times in 951 Posts

I would start with calling the Superindendent of the facility first, if you can't make headways there than by all means call the Central Office DOC located in downtown Indy. On the DOC website you can find a list of staff members, pick one that seems to meet your need. I've found that email is the best way to communicate with DOC, you have a written track record of your concerns, and they do as well and ask them to forward to the person who would best help you if they aren't the one.
As one lady stated, I've had to call central office on several occasions over the years and they have always been helpful, but I def suggesting email that seems to get the quickest and most efficient response. Good luck
Old 09-18-2014, 09:18 PM

Which section is your son in? My fiance has been there since April 2013, he was first in the EC section I think Dorm D, then he went to GSC, and now is in IC. From my understanding, from before he got there and after he got there, there has been broken windows and missing windows for quite some time now, when you go to visits you can see the windows don't look that good, I've heard they get rained on, snowed on, cold wind blows in, and it's really hot in the summer, when it was like in the 90's a few weeks ago he said they were allowed to just wear their shorts, no shirts because of the heat if they were just hanging in the dorms. I don't know who you would contact, but from what I hear they just learn to deal with it...its prison so it is what it is, that is what he tells me all the time.
Some of the most comforting words in the universe are "me too". That moment when you find out your struggle is also someone else's struggle, and that you are not alone, and others have been down same road.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:53 AM

Thanked 5,985 Times in 3,114 Posts

Has anyone gotten a response???