Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Florida prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Old 11-23-2019, 04:58 PM

Default Currently in Jail - New Crime???

Hi there my father is placed in Union Correctional Institution im Florida. I recently found out that he is in the jail from his sister. He is sentenced to Life with no parole . Do you think he typically would be in the jail because he committed another crime? If I am his POA would his classification officer tell me any information? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,449 Times in 13,481 Posts

Some temporary transfers from prison are done when the inmate is required to attend a hearing. If that's the reason, it could be for new charges, or a court appearance related to the charges he is already serving time for, like an appeal.

Union Correctional is a Florida DOC Prison, not a county jail, so this move may just be to the prison where he will serve the rest of his current sentence.

Ask his classification officer, the worst that could happen is that they wouldn't tell you what is happening.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:32 PM

Thank you. He was already sentenced 9 years ago and case was done to life in prison with no parole so thinking some kind of new charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Some temporary transfers from prison are done when the inmate is required to attend a hearing. If that's the reason, it could be for new charges, or a court appearance related to the charges he is already serving time for, like an appeal.

Union Correctional is a Florida DOC Prison, not a county jail, so this move may just be to the prison where he will serve the rest of his current sentence.

Ask his classification officer, the worst that could happen is that they wouldn't tell you what is happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to sumerrose13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,056 Times in 3,527 Posts

It is not uncommon for DOC to move someone from one prison to another. It can be for a variety of reasons, most of which are relatively benign.

My guess would be that there isn't a new charge, based on statistics. Lifers, in general, tend to stay out of trouble. Since he was moved from one prison to another, it could be for health reasons (don't know how old your Dad was, but my Dad was moved because the first place he was at couldn't handle his medical issues, so they moved him to a place that had better medical care).

Your PoA might allow you to get information from the prison, but they'll try hard to not give it to you.

It's worth placing a call. Or perhaps sending your Dad a letter asking him what's going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 10:15 AM

You can also search criminal court records to see if there are any new charges. Most Florida counties have their court documents online and free to view. Also, check the Florida DOC inmate page as it will show if he was sentenced with anything new (I don't believe it will show if there are pending charges). From my experience (I have a son in prison), the classification officers are only as nice as you are. So "ask" for help and information may get you further than saying you have POA. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancesH For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2019), GingerM (11-25-2019)