Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:30 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,427 Times in 1,741 Posts
Default The Three C’s Of Our Present Time

1. Corona Beer-I didn’t realize they’d stopped producing Corona Beer at some point until a few days ago. Man…..that’s crazy and all to do with the virus and the name share. It proves a basic fundamental truth about human beings…..some of us are bananas. A year ago at this time if someone had said “You know what? A virus deemed Corona for whatever reason that started in China will result in Corona the beer, one the biggest selling beers of all time, to be brought to complete standstill in production simply because a virus of the same name will wreak havoc upon the whole world a year from now….well…..I’d expect someone to say “please get that man a straight jacket when you get around to it.” And while no one is exactly saying thank you to China for being the first on board to admit to the Corona virus, I would dare say there are some real haters out of a job at Corona breweries around the world and other places, as well.

2. China-This is a touchy subject so, I have to be careful here. You know…..it’s bad enough that everything is made in China and the fact that a lot jobs, money and life after all the jobs went to China that once upon a time were common place in the U.S.A., but now you had let this happen and if I’m not mistaken…….it began with eating bats? Is that correct? Who the h#ll does that for god’s sakes? I thought they had McDonald’s in China, don’t they? Do you see anything on the menu that vaguely resembles a Double Bat Whopper? No wait a minute that’s Burger King, isn’t it? Well……you get what I’m saying. No, they don’t sell Bat McNuggets or when you picture in your mind a Quarter Pounder I’d be willing to bet that no one hopes for a great big piece of bat meat, ya know? What are you people doing over there? I’ve always wondered what China would be like in terms of visiting the place, but after this…….it ain’t happening. Besides that I’m on parole here in Texas and about the most exotic place I get to visit is the district parole office I report out of a minimum of 12 times a year. Give my regards to China and please, leave the bats alone!!!!!! You mess up again, no bat man movies for at least a year. You got that? As a matter of fact, don’t even look a bat for a good long while. You’re on bat restriction til further notice.

3.Character- Yes….life in general across the fruited plains, from sea to shining sea, the land of the free, places where no one is free and the world over, life could be summed up in just 3 words by many people “it sucks, right now” which is true, but at the same time whether we realize it or not this thing called Character is being built in a magnificent way that is silent and yet true. We don’t think about what we gain in the hard times as much as we try to get through them in terms of character building, acquiring faith, finding a way to remain calm when it’s just as easy to fall apart and give in to fear. Courage is not just a word that we use to describe someone or some situation far away, courage is something that every single one of us is in the process of mustering one day at a time.

When times are good, when there’s money in the bank and everyone is relatively content with the here and now, character is an afterthought on many occasions, but just now as we live through this experience we also are in the process of building character. What those before us in the past endured in terms of hardships whom we admire, we are now faced with because of the hardships that test our patience and our sense of security and what the future holds. We are becoming stronger whether we realize it or not. All of us are soldiers on the battle field of life and it’s times like these in which we earn our shields.
Born (04-06-2020), EyesOpening (04-09-2020), GaReform (04-06-2020), LifeTraveler (04-07-2020), maytayah (04-06-2020), miamac (04-10-2020), Ms Sunny (04-18-2020), RaeLR (04-06-2020), sass4221 (04-06-2020), YOGA62 (04-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2020, 06:40 PM

Thanked 2,186 Times in 861 Posts

I would add a 4th one that I wish there was more of- Compassion. Watching the CNN report of the video made by incarcerated people in Alabama shows how serious this is for our loved ones who have no way to be safe.https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...ad-pkg-vpx.cnn
Many people think that those who are serving a sentence don't deserve our care & concern but these people all matter to someone outside the gates. Please do what you can to urge elected officials to provide decent care for them. We are better than this!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (04-07-2020), Ms Sunny (04-18-2020), RaeLR (04-11-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 04:53 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,427 Times in 1,741 Posts

Yes, it's hard for our loved ones inside right now and I'm mindful of how much stress & uncertainty there is across all prison facilities the world over. It's a tough time for everyone on both sides of the fence. Compassion is very real and much needed
fbopnomore (04-07-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 07:32 PM

So true
The Following User Says Thank You to LCLOVE For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,628 Times in 8,316 Posts

If I may add a fourth...

Community.
I moved from my hometown/state five years ago to a much smaller town in a completely different part of the country. My little community here with it's roots in Latin family-first culture is doing everything they can to keep each other going during this time. We have private citizens who have opened pantries for donation and distribution, no questions asked. We have a campaign to eat local (not chain) twice a week to keep our neighborhood eateries open. Several non-profits are delivering water, milk, toilet paper and anything else they have to those over 65 to help keep them out of the stores. Our mayor has seamlessly coordinated with closed school districts to shift supplies from the remaining three months of school to the Urgent Care locations and hospital. This is not a big town. It hosts uber conservatives and left-wing politics very openly. But right now, it's showing it's true color-- people care. It took a pandemic to bring it to the front page, but they still care.
I'm proud of my community.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Born (04-10-2020), fbopnomore (04-11-2020), Firebrand (04-11-2020), GaReform (04-11-2020), RaeLR (04-11-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:12 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,335 Times in 16,166 Posts

Just as an aside
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/busin...ion/index.html

How about adding courtesy.
Alot more please. Guess everyone is a bit short these days.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-17-2020), Firebrand (04-20-2020)